Random SL Disconnections - On the :59 of the Hour

Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
I posted this on SLU, thought I'd bring it over here.

I have random disconnects from Second Life. Random in a sense, but they share one thing in common: they all happen on the :59 minute of the hour, just a few seconds before rolling over to the :00. It does not happen every day, but on many days; I do not recall it happening more than once a day. The hour isn't always the same- recently I have had 9:59 pm, 6:59 pm, 5:59 pm- I haven't written them all down, those are the last three I remember.

It has been happening for about a month or so. I did have a change in anti-virus I use- I had been using Malwarebyets Premium + McAfee, but ditched the McAfee for Avast Free. I have SecondLifeViewer and SLPlugin in the Web Shield exclusions for Avast. Avast does not give me any notifications of doing anything. I know Windows 10 has had a few updates in the past month too. I can't think of other computer changes I've had.

Nothing else I do on the internet seems to get disrupted. I am able to immediately log back in to SL after one of these disconnections.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Just for shits and giggles, have you tried being on a wired connection to your router? It could be some kind of weird wi-fi issue.

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
My router disconnects me once per night, usually at the same time, but with rare variations. It's very short, on discord or any other websites I wouldn't notice, but I get logged out of SL, always.

Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
I am wired into my router.

I have had the same router for a little over a year, and this issue just started maybe within the past month.

I don't know for sure whether I am completely disconnected from everything or just Second Life- I never have anything else open but the web browser. Someone suggested on SLU that I try running a separate music stream or something while connected to Second Life to see what happens- I haven't done that yet but I'll try to remember.

If it is the router doing something, is there any way of checking a log file or something to try to verify it?

Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
Thinking about it, there are a bunch of new wireless thingies in the house recently (extra roommate, extra stuff). We now have two of those wifi extension pods from Comcast, and two wireless printers. I once had a wireless printer that would knock everything offline and require a router reset to get back online- it was annoying to track it down as the source of the problem too, because it did it even when it was turned off (but still plugged in). I guess the internet of things expands the list of potential culprits.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Thinking about it, there are a bunch of new wireless thingies in the house recently (extra roommate, extra stuff). We now have two of those wifi extension pods from Comcast, and two wireless printers. I once had a wireless printer that would knock everything offline and require a router reset to get back online- it was annoying to track it down as the source of the problem too, because it did it even when it was turned off (but still plugged in). I guess the internet of things expands the list of potential culprits.
That it does. We just got back with 2 laptops after a weekend and it threw out network all in chaos. I finally had to turn the laptops, the router, and various other devices off .... then on one at a time ..... in order to determine what on the network was getting the wrong addresses and colliding with something else. A router, 2 switches, a wifi extension, and about 2 dozen other things on the network.

WolfEyes

Sep 20, 2018
I posted this on SLU, thought I'd bring it over here.

I have random disconnects from Second Life. Random in a sense, but they share one thing in common: they all happen on the :59 minute of the hour, just a few seconds before rolling over to the :00. It does not happen every day, but on many days; I do not recall it happening more than once a day. The hour isn't always the same- recently I have had 9:59 pm, 6:59 pm, 5:59 pm- I haven't written them all down, those are the last three I remember.

It has been happening for about a month or so. I did have a change in anti-virus I use- I had been using Malwarebyets Premium + McAfee, but ditched the McAfee for Avast Free. I have SecondLifeViewer and SLPlugin in the Web Shield exclusions for Avast. Avast does not give me any notifications of doing anything. I know Windows 10 has had a few updates in the past month too. I can't think of other computer changes I've had.

Nothing else I do on the internet seems to get disrupted. I am able to immediately log back in to SL after one of these disconnections.
Make sure the clock on your pc shows the correct date and time. If it's out of sync even just by a second or three it can even prevent login. It's an ancient issue and probably not the problem but check it just to be sure.

If you're absolutely certain your time is set correctly, you haven't changed your system setup, and Second Life was working fine moments before, it's likely a transient problem with our servers. Check the Grid Status Reports page for news and try to login periodically. If you continue to get this message after logins are again working reliably for other Residents, contact Support.
Error messages

Sep 21, 2018
Japan
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Apr2009
SLU Posts
when you get log out are you doing somethimg or your avatar s park somewhere idle?

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
An IoT device could certainly do it. I had a problem with my U-verse service a coupe of years ago where the modem/router would just randomly reboot - sometimes once every few days, sometimes several times in a day. Because U-verse's TV service is carried over the Internet, these reboots would disrupt the TV and screw up the DVR. I suspect it was something on my network causing it, but I was never able to pinpoint it before we moved. I suspect it might have been the TV receiver, because the problems went away when I dumped U-verse TV and went back to DirecTV, but kept U-verse Internet. Strangely, after we moved and had to go back to U-verse TV because we couldn't mount a satellite dish at the new place, I had no problems.

tl;dr: Try isolating things that are connected to your network and see if the problem goes away.

Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
when you get log out are you doing somethimg or your avatar s park somewhere idle?
Both. Sometimes it has happened when standing somewhere doing nothing, sometimes when I'm standing around but chatting in IM. I'm pretty sure it's happened while I've been walking too, but I don't remember for sure.

Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
I don't think I'm getting a router reboot, because if it were rebooting, it should take me more time to get back online. I'm able to reconnect to Second Life immediately- within seconds- of getting disconnected. I could go over to the router when I see the my clock hit :58 and watch to see if anything happens with the lights (though I'd be checking a lot of times without a disconnect).

I still haven't tried streaming internet radio or something to see if everything on the internet disconnects, or if it's just Second Life. I want to try that first before going around disconnecting other people's stuff. (No one else has complained about anything happening with the internet yet.) The task of isolating connected stuff will get to be long and drawn out, since I can't predict which hour in the day the disconnection might happen, or even if it will happen on a particular day. Most recently it has happened Wednesday at 5:59 pm, then not at all on Thursday and Friday, then it happened Saturday at 11:59 pm.

WolfEyes

Sep 20, 2018
Any recent firmware updates to the modem/router? Say about the same time or just before this started happening?

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
Sep 20, 2018
Illinois
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Here is an idea.

Turn of auto time on your computer and set the time off by 30 minutes. Double click the clock to do this.

See if the disconnects follow the time on the computer or "real time".

If it disconnects in real time, it's not the computer. If it follows the computer time, it's something on the computer.

WolfEyes

Sep 20, 2018
Here is an idea.

Turn of auto time on your computer and set the time off by 30 minutes. Double click the clock to do this.

See if the disconnects follow the time on the computer or "real time".

If it disconnects in real time, it's not the computer. If it follows the computer time, it's something on the computer.
That's where I was heading when I posted this:

Make sure the clock on your pc shows the correct date and time. If it's out of sync even just by a second or three it can even prevent login. It's an ancient issue and probably not the problem but check it just to be sure.

Error messages
But hey! What do I know? :LOL:

Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
Any recent firmware updates to the modem/router? Say about the same time or just before this started happening?
I don't think so. At least, nothing has updated because I or anyone here has updated it. It's one of those Comcast combination modem/router/phone things, and I don't know if they have a way of automatically pushing updates or not.

Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
I'll try the clock-change trick after I figure out if it's just Second Life or all internet that gets interrupted. I finally got WinAmp and a radio stream address so I can run the radio stream while I'm in SL and see what happens.

WolfEyes

Sep 20, 2018
Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
I never figured out what caused this problem, because it just stopped happening. I don't think it's happened since my last post to this thread, so maybe 19 days now.

OrinB

I'm here...
Sep 20, 2018
UK
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
your router was reading the thread in the bg....