Question of the Day #6 - I dare you to love someone so much...

Damian

SL Rez
Work has been killer I apologize for the delay but love that others have kept up with this! YALL MISSED ME DIDNT YOU

Question of the day: Do you believe in magic?

You believe in air you cannot see. You believe in feelings that you cannot see. Do you believe in magic?

Please explain.

• 1Like
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
David Copperfield exists. Therefore...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes

The Queen of magic doesn't need explanation.

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Tirellia

Jopsy Pendragon

The Adderall Addict in Chief needs drug rehab.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Oh wow... um... it's late, and I'm sleepy so this may come out completely garbled... but you touched on "A Topic" that gets me going.

I've had friends kinda sorta believing that I can, with enough lead time to avoid meteorological predictions, control the weather.

I've had co-workers convinced that I was totally blessed by Mary Full of Grace the matron of great parking places.

I've made people think I'm a precog or clairvoyant... because I'll mention someone's name right before they walk into the room. (I have, or well had, outstanding hearing and likely picked up their particular walking cadence before others did).

But, by nearly all traditional notions of 'magic' I would have to say "I -want- to believe, but I don't." I'm a hard atheist, and that extends to supernatural phenomena, cosmic forces, etc.

However, I do believe in the illusion of magic. Somewhere in the semantic plasma of intent, expectation, reality and perception there's a paradoxical feedback loop that allows for the very real sensation of 'willing' something into happening.

I read tarot cards for fun. I like the art & symbology and the process of focusing on applying an interpretation of elements to create a narrative. I absolutely do not believe there's anything 'woo woo' about it other than the fact that it creates a novel random perspective from which to view our life, and even if that perspective is false, the effort of looking at things from a different vantage lets us perceive reality in a new, sometimes helpful way.

It also seems to work because of "Salient Coincidence". An unexpected alignment of two unrelated things that 'gets noticed'. This is where superstitions are born. "I forgot my {something}, and a terrible thing happened." or "I had my {other thing} and something great happened when I didn't expect it!" These strange associations get seared into our minds in a way that random unrelated misfires don't. So when I interpret a card, or declare rain in 3 weeks, or point out that "Hey, look, full parking lot and I got a spot right in front of the door!" ... it sticks. And when I'm wrong, it's forgotten.

In the end, only the times that 'it worked' are memorable, and the times that it didn't... lost in the dimness of daily mundane repetition.

So yeah, I believe in the -illusion- of magic. We all do it. Those that do it best create their own 'reality distortion field' and, for good or ill, sweep others into their illusion. I only use mine to entertain. :)

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I'm writing a reply on a piece of technology which would seem almost magical a century ago. Indeed, to most people, how this technology works is a complete mystery and may as well be magic.

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well, there's Magic Markers, and the movie Magic Mike (and Magic Mike XXL), and a cleaner called Magic Cleaner, and let's not forget Magic: The Gathering, and an appliance company called Magic Chef, while General Magic used to exist but it doesn't anymore, and Mr. Clean has something called a Magic Eraser, and Mattel still sells the Magic 8 Ball, and I know of a baby lotion called Baby Magic, and there's That Old Black Magic and This Magic Moment and Black Magic Woman and Magic Carpet Ride and Every Little Thing She Does is Magic. There's even a Magic Dragon, called Puff.

If I don't believe in magic, I might have trouble believing in all this stuff!

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I seem to have a natural connection with animals and plants. So much so that when I was a kid, my step father told my Mom that I was a witch (and he didn't mean it in a good way, he was afraid of me).

I don't think its magic, I think it's just because I pay attention. I have always watched animals and if one is not acting right, I notice it immediately and try to help (and yes, this has led to me getting the rabies vaccination). Because I pay attention animals, they seem to notice me to and frequently, out of the blue, approach me. There was a big raven at work who used to wait for me to come out at lunch time and fly onto my shoulder. This led to people at work [seriously] asking if I was a witch. :rolleyes:

This I do know, animals are much smarter and more observant of us (and each other) than we will ever give them credit for. Even animals in the wild.

I generally know when storms are coming because i can smell and feel the difference in the atmospheric pressure. Things that I plant generally thrive (not always, I do occasionally get a plant that I have to threaten). :sneaky:

So what other people call magic, I think is just hyper observation of my natural environment which is something that I love to watch.

Do I believe in magic? No but I think that there is a LOT that we don't see as we traverse life and when someone points those things out, well, it's magic.

Eunoli

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
No. But, in today's world I wish I could.

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
In a word, no, quite simply.

I live in a material world, governed by the laws of physics, so if magic is to affect this world in any way, it must itself be subject to those same laws.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Tirellia and Govi

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I seem to have a natural connection with animals and plants. So much so that when I was a kid, my step father told my Mom that I was a witch (and he didn't mean it in a good way, he was afraid of me).

I don't think its magic, I think it's just because I pay attention. I have always watched animals and if one is not acting right, I notice it immediately and try to help (and yes, this has led to me getting the rabies vaccination). Because I pay attention animals, they seem to notice me to and frequently, out of the blue, approach me. There was a big raven at work who used to wait for me to come out at lunch time and fly onto my shoulder. This led to people at work [seriously] asking if I was a witch. :rolleyes:

This I do know, animals are much smarter and more observant of us (and each other) than we will ever give them credit for. Even animals in the wild.

I generally know when storms are coming because i can smell and feel the difference in the atmospheric pressure. Things that I plant generally thrive (not always, I do occasionally get a plant that I have to threaten). :sneaky:

So what other people call magic, I think is just hyper observation of my natural environment which is something that I love to watch.

Do I believe in magic? No but I think that there is a LOT that we don't see as we traverse life and when someone points those things out, well, it's magic.
you remind me of my mom... she a green thumb and talks to plants and animals that come by the yard. We have a big garden and people can't understand how she does it ith the crazy florida weather. She can feel the pressure in her bones and knows when bad weather comes when she is in pain.

I'm on the fence.. I love the idea of magic...who wouldn't want to fly through the air and shoot beams from thier wands/hands.... I believe there is a reason for everything in rl even if we do not understand it yet... a reaction for every action... Karma is real... even tho we do not realize it.. we are all connected. a web of domino effects constantly going off, non-stop, events constantly in and out of motion.. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.... we just call it magic cause we don't understand it... once we do it becomes science... But there are somethings that we will never be able to explain....

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
In a word, no, quite simply.

I live in a material world, governed by the laws of physics, so if magic is to affect this world in any way, it must itself be subject to those same laws.
So, funny you should say that, but one of the first rules of 'magic' I learned was, for every action is an equal and opposite reaction.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
So, funny you should say that, but one of the first rules of 'magic' I learned was, for every action is an equal and opposite reaction.
Yes.

So whatever is causing the magical effect must itself be material to have any effect on the physical world -- you can't put a princess into a magic slumber without doing stuff to cause the electrical activity in her brain to behave in a certain way, any more than you can turn a prince into a frog without rearranging the molecules that make up his body, while obeying various laws about the way matter and energy behave, and working out what to do with the rest of him (otherwise he's going to make a bloody big frog).

There must be a physical mechanism somehow making all that happen.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Aribeth Zelin

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Of course I do, but the practitioners nowadays are called "tech support".

====

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Any witch or warlock following the instructions in a Big Fancy Book is merely reading the manual. It's no more mysterious than following a cookbook ... to them. To everyone else it's magic if they don't understand how it works.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I'm schizophrenic. It's very easy for us to convince ourselves we are wizards. This is why I believe that being an atheist with no super natural beliefs is key to me being very high functioning. I've tried like hell to get magic to work and it never did. No magic, no gods, nothing supernatural exists.

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm schizophrenic. It's very easy for us to convince ourselves we are wizards. This is why I believe that being an atheist with no super natural beliefs is key to me being very high functioning. I've tried like hell to get magic to work and it never did. No magic, no gods, nothing supernatural exists.
I'm not schizophrenic but specifically abandoning a belief in hell has had a wonderful and similar affect, thought not atheist like most people of my stripe.
Hell, and then belief that people are doing malicious spells just because life handed a person a bad hand have been some of the most damaging notions in human history.

Jopsy Pendragon

The Adderall Addict in Chief needs drug rehab.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Hell, and then belief that people are doing malicious spells just because life handed a person a bad hand have been some of the most damaging notions in human history.
Ironically, it's often the person that put that notion into the dupe's head that's probably more accurately responsible for 'malicious spells'. Creating a psychological illusion of supernatural malice to deflect the actual and real culpability away from themselves.