netflix Queen's Gambit

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Been scraping the barrel to watch something on Netflix. Was nice to have something new and a bit different. Sigh. At least I liked the first episode. I'll probably finish it, but I'll keep fast forwarding through some trite scenes most likely.

I have one pet peeve that really grinds my gears. The show depicts long term use of librium with no withdrawal symptoms to speak of. That gives a bad impression. Benzodiazepine withdrawal can be severe.

Maybe they are setting up a crisis for later in the story, but it's unrealistic. If a child were taking librium regularly and suddenly stopped, I'd fully expect all hell to break loose. They'd never get to some crisis suitable for an artificial plot line like this show has.

In RL there is a continuing problem of doctors prescribing benzodiazepines without fully informing patients of the consequences. Shows like this give false reassurance and create confusion on the subject.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Like
Reactions: Pamela and Pancake

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the series. (I'm about halfway through it.)

• 1Like
Reactions: Pamela
SL Rez
SLU Posts
In RL there is a continuing problem of doctors prescribing benzodiazepines without fully informing patients of the consequences. Shows like this give false reassurance and create confusion on the subject.
It is important to know that alcohol and benzodiazopenes are the only two common addictive drugs where you can die from the withdrawal effects.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Sovereignty

Sovereignty

SL Rez
The fifth episode was maybe the best. Overall, the best parts are sets and costuming which are really good. Liked the sets in the last episode more than the plot, but the atmosphere they create is interesting.

It is a fairy tale basically. Nothing wrong with having fairy tales. Close to Cinderella in some ways. Many ways not.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts