Queen Elizabeth II 1926 - 2022

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sadly, I think we will need a thread for her here on SL for now and the near future.

That a lot of the relatives are on their way to Balmoral Castle in the Scottish Highlands, where the queen stays at the moment, isn't a good sign IMHO.
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that London Bridge might be down soon.
The link to this 2017 article is not for nothing on the homepage of The Guardian again I guess.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I fear this article, from 2017, may soon become very relevant

• 2Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin and Sid

Isabeau

Merdeuse
She has seemed ill and out of public eye lately, so I fear this may be her lat days. All the family is gathering, including her grandsons.

Strange that the article you and Innula posted compare US présidents (instead of british PMs). Maybe is was aimed at american readers?

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I've never seen BBC news filling ungoing live coverage, with virtually no other news than the doctors report and the fact that the family is heading to Scotland.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
She has seemed ill and out of public eye lately, so I fear this may be her lat days. All the family is gathering, including her grandsons.

Strange that the article you and Innula posted compare US présidents (instead of british PMs). Maybe is was aimed at american readers?
The Queen is a head of state. PM's ain't.
So her reign is compared with other head of states I guess.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

In the US, the President is both Head of State and Head of Government.

In the UK, as in other parliamentary democracies, whether they're monarchies or republics, the two roles are separate -- the monarch/president is the ceremonial and non-political head of state, while the Prime Minister/Chancellor/Taoiseach/whatever is the Head of Government.

US Presidents get all the ceremonial treatment in their capacity of Head of State, not Head of Government, so that's the point of the comparison.

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
This may seem crass, but it is a serious practical consideration. There has not been a change in the UK head of state since 1953, and people who live in countries still using the imperial measuring system are going to have to get used to some changes. I cannot find it in wikipedia, and I am not sure when they will perform the official measurement of Prince Charles' feet, weight, and arm span to determine the new measurements for the foot, fathom, mile, and pound. This will have a huge impact in the US as every American football field will have to be remeasured. Hopefully they will get the measurements soon to ease the transition.

Edit to add: I forgot the sarcasm tag but always grateful for a good mansplaining.... Regardless of my feelings for the imperial state she is a symbol of, I hope the Queen can find some measure of comfort in these days and the compassion being expressed for her can also be extended to all of her subjects facing difficult circumstances.

Last edited:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
And then there's France, where the president is head of state but not head of government, but still wields significantly more power than just a ceremonial monarch like in the UK.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
This may seem crass, but it is a serious practical consideration. There has not been a change in the UK head of state since 1953, and people who live in countries still using the imperial measuring system are going to have to get used to some changes. I cannot find it in wikipedia, and I am not sure when they will perform the official measurement of Prince Charles' feet, weight, and arm span to determine the new measurements for the foot, fathom, mile, and pound. This will have a huge impact in the US as every American football field will have to be remeasured. Hopefully they will get the measurements soon to ease the transition.
Not happening, since imperial units in the states are actually based on metric ones. As of the 1st of July 1959 1 yard = 0.9144 meters by law, and all other units are derived from that. The death of the Queen will not change this.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It always surprises me how so many things don't phase me, but hearing the queen is in ill health... does, very much. And as a descendant of immigrants from Northern Ireland... I'm really kind of confused by it.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I’m from Canada. I know what a head of state is. I simply thought it strange that they needed to make comparisons about anything with the US in the first lines. Anyway, not really important.

I think they are saying there will be a formal announcement at 6pm when Meghan and Harry are scheduled to arrive.

For most everyone here (VV1) she has always been the Queen. Don’t know if I’ll be sad, she’s lived a very long life, but she will certainly leave a void.

Maitimo

mostly 'armless
SL Rez
It's not looking good. The whole family rushing to Balmoral... if it was just one or two, I'd say, well maybe the Queen is feeling a bit down and wants company. When it's the whole family, you just know they're going there to say goodbye.

This all reminds me of rushing down the country to visit my grandmother before she passed away. Unfortunately she wasn't able to wait for us.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The Queen may be the last bastian of an older and more gracious era, the world we were born into. And this is why she will leave a queen-sized hole in all or most of us. Whatever you may think of the institution, she has carried on well.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Beer
Reactions: Monica Dream

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I simply thought it strange that they needed to make comparisons about anything with the US in the first lines.
Probably name-recognition. The US President, whoever it is at the time, and the late Queen are probably the best-known heads of state in the world.