Queen Elizabeth II 1926 - 2022

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I can understand that some may not appreciate humour at a time like this (although one could argue it is very "British" to make fun in dark times).
I think the answer is, it was too soon. (*waves* as someone who got the joke...)

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Archer and Isabeau

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I have no clue where this is all about.
I'd explain it, but then a lot of people know how I feel about elves.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Soen Eber

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I have no clue where this is all about.
And really have no idea if this "elves can't be black" is funny, snarky or whatever.
How this relates with the passing away of the Queen beats me.
But it sure seems to upset Tirella for some reason.
Google Meghan Markle. The "elves can't be black" comment will be left as an exercise for you to work out on your own (show your work).

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I'm watching BBC for a bit at the moment.
It looks like the UK barely left the middle ages. What a bunch of dressed up people as if they walked straight out of a Shakespearean play.
Every detail declared as a tradition of uttermost importance, commented by professors and what not.
As if television, radio and the Internet were not invented, full grown officials are declaring that Charles is King now in several parts of the UK.

No wonder there are so many people who voted to leave the EU. They want to live in the age of Henry VIII.
Astonishing.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'm watching BBC for a bit at the moment.
It looks like the UK barely left the middle ages. What a bunch of dressed up people as if the walked straight out of a Shakespearean play.
Every detail declared as a tradition of uttermost importance, commented by professors and what not.
As if television, radio and the Internet were not invented, full grown officials are declaring that Charles is king now.

No wonder there are so many people who voted to leave the EU. They want to live in the age of Henry VIII.
Astonishing.
The BBC are, I think, terrified of being accused, particularly by papers like the Daily Mail, of not showing sufficient deference and respect. They still remember, as do I, the outrage in some quarters, whipped up by the right-wing press, when, in 2002, Peter Sissons broke the news of the Queen Mother's death while wearing a burgundy tie, and are clearly determined not to make the same mistake twice, particularly while they're struggling to retain the licence fee when the government wants to abolish it.

They were criticised for going overboard with their coverage of Prince Phillip's death, and I really don't think they're going to be able to keep this up for the full two weeks --- thank heavens for the internet, Netflix and other on-demand channels.

I'm more worried about the way Parliament has had to shut down, just as a new administration takes over and presents a massively expensive and controversial programme to subsidise energy prices, and as a number of other equally urgent domestic problems require immediate attention.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I have to give it to the BBC that they professionally talk and talk and talk for days already while there is often very little more to cover than the grass growing on center court of Wimbledon so to speak.

I'm so happy now, that I know about the red boxes and that the Queen picked het outfit personally for her James Bond routine at the Olympics.
To quote the late Queen:"Very interesting".

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I don't understand why they are touring so much with her remains before they are finally laying her to rest in peace.
From a castle to a castle, than in a church, to Buckingham palace, to hall somewhere, to the church for the funeral.
That they are lying her in state in Scotland and England I can understand, but all that in and out of castles and the palace ....
Britain seems great in overdoing things 'slightly'.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't understand why they are touring so much with her remains before they are finally laying her to rest in peace.
Britain seems great in overdoing things 'slightly'.
She was queen of both Scotland and England, and since she died in Scotland, it's only to be expected there will be some ceremonies there, too, I think, before her remains are moved to London.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I understand that part, and I think that is logical.
But that back and forth to the castles/palace in between ...

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
She has been Queen for 70 years and was extremely popular. People will want to file past her casket, and if there are only two locations that keeps a lot of people from having that opportunity. For many it will help them get closure on what has been a significant part of British history.

It seems to me not unlike when Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. His remains were put on a slow train that made many stops between Washington and Springfield. After the trauma of the war and losing the leader connected with maintaining the Union, many people wanted to say goodbye. For people all across the UK, her reign is the thing that connects everything that has happened from the Second World War to Brexit, and everything in between good and bad. This is a major transition in the middle of uncertain times. Seeing off the body is one part of moving forward.

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
They are probably stalling to ensure there is enough time to inform all of the palace bees:

There are a lot of bees.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
There was once an episode of Midsomer Murders where the beekeeper had to inform the bees about the murder of their owner to keep them calm.
I then thought it was coming out of the brains of the story editors as a nice example of the weirdness inspector Barnaby has to deal with in Midsomer.
I don't know how serious the indianexpress is, but wow.

• 1Like
Reactions: Grandma Bates

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
She has been Queen for 70 years and was extremely popular. People will want to file past her casket, and if there are only two locations that keeps a lot of people from having that opportunity. For many it will help them get closure on what has been a significant part of British history.

It seems to me not unlike when Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. His remains were put on a slow train that made many stops between Washington and Springfield. After the trauma of the war and losing the leader connected with maintaining the Union, many people wanted to say goodbye. For people all across the UK, her reign is the thing that connects everything that has happened from the Second World War to Brexit, and everything in between good and bad. This is a major transition in the middle of uncertain times. Seeing off the body is one part of moving forward.
Same thing happened with FDR; when he died during the war they also had a train carrying his casket. people lined up along the route to mourn his passing as well.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't think they are stopping anywhere in between, are they? They had to transport her by road from Balmoral to Edinburgh, but then they're flying her to London (the original plan was to use the Royal Train, but they abandoned that idea during the pandemic and never revived it) and then, after the lying in state in Westminster Hall and the ceremony at Westminster Abbey, it's off to Windsor Castle for the final interment.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Totally unrelated: There is talking in the press that King Charles might want reforms for the Royal family and household.
I think he is studying on the Dutch monarchy model:

My advise: Buy an at least two sizes bigger bike.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I really don't see most heads of state arriving with commercial flights, because of security reasons.
Transporting the heads of state with a bus has been done before for instance at summits in Europe, when one secures the route the bus takes accordingly that should be possible.

Now if Joe Biden is willing to do so? I think he personally is, but I'm not so sure about the people around him responsible for his safety.
He will arrive with his own planes though I guess.
Maybe he can make a round trip to gather the rest around the world?