VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I've mentioned this before, but prior to the 2016 election, I had a friend, a catholic friend, who based her entire vote upon the false news put upon FB that the pope supported Trump. I'm sure she voted for him again, this time. I think that her environment, Louisiana, probably has more to do with her vote than any other factor.

People are going to see in the pope what they want to see. I. personally, think that we may well see a resurgence of anti-catholic sentiment, in particular among evangelicals. I can say that the feeling of this catholic is very much reciprocated toward them. They apparently don't even know that the New Testament exists.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I've mentioned this before, but prior to the 2016 election, I had a friend, a catholic friend, who based her entire vote upon the false news put upon FB that the pope supported Trump. I'm sure she voted for him again, this time. I think that her environment, Louisiana, probably has more to do with her vote than any other factor.

People are going to see in the pope what they want to see. I. personally, think that we may well see a resurgence of anti-catholic sentiment, in particular among evangelicals. I can say that the feeling of this catholic is very much reciprocated toward them. They apparently don't even know that the New Testament exists.
I'm not a believer, but Catholic atheists are a thing, and I'm sufficiently grounded in Catholic theology to find US Evangelicals deeply and weirdly heretical, on top of all my other objections to them.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
I'm not a believer, but Catholic atheists are a thing, and I'm sufficiently grounded in Catholic theology to find US Evangelicals deeply and weirdly heretical, on top of all my other objections to them.
I'll take a wild guess that our experiences match. Where it's less likely that a modern Catholic will take great offense with a former believer morphing into a friendly atheist than an Evangelical might.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This thread is relevant

NB She stresses she's talking about the hierarchy and institution of the Catholic church in Poland, in which public confidence is apparently collapsing because of its involvement in pro-government politics.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I always thought Jesus taught people to feed the hungry, heal the sick, house the homeless, clothe the naked.....
I read a conservative website once that seemed to be dedicated to making the case that everything Jesus said about being kind to even your enemies and helping the poor was "inserted" into the Bible by Renaissance-era SJWs.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I read a conservative website once that seemed to be dedicated to making the case that everything Jesus said about being kind to even your enemies and helping the poor was "inserted" into the Bible by Renaissance-era SJWs.
That is when SJW's started the war.

• 1Like
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
So hey just a heads up for you guys!

SOME of QAnon has pivoted away from Messiah Trump to an anti-Biden conspiracy theory they're calling "The Great Reset".

Objectively, "The Great Reset" was the name given last summer at the World Economic Forum to the future eventual jumpstarting and ramping back up of the coronavirus-impacted economies of the world's countries, with some suggesting that the more powerful nations could take the opportunity to make some new rules with the aim of making capitalism less dickish. Things like more taxes on the wealthy, and some other New Green Deal-esque measures were suggested. Of course this is just sort of like a geopolitical convention and the World Economic Forum doesn't have any kind of authority over any country; it's simply an exchange of ideas and countries are free to take or leave the suggestions as they see fit.

Conservative conspiracy theorists, however, have decided that The Great Reset is the initiative that "the Globalists" - by which they mean, "the Jews" - have finally launched to take over the world and impose a hegemonic government. As president, Biden is supposed to impose a bunch of draconian ultra-Leftist directives, ban all religion, steal guns and property from white peopleAmerican Citizens and redistribute it to gay commie feminists, imprison dissenters in prison camps (the ones reserved by Trump for immigrants maybe?), and finally, ultimately, abdicate American sovereignty to the new Jewish One-World Government.

Basically, it's the same thing they said Obama was getting ready to do during his entire presidency but of course never did, except back then they called it Agenda 21 - a name taken from a UN proposal that FWIW also didn't really have anything to do with a Jewish world takeover except in their heads.

So anyway, if you're out and about on the internet and hear somebody scaremongering or asking leading questions about "The Great Reset", that's what they're talking about. It's more QAnonsense.

Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Conservative conspiracy theorists, however, have decided that The Great Reset is the initiative that "the Globalists" - by which they mean, "the Jews" - have finally launched to take over the world and impose a hegemonic government. As president, Biden is supposed to impose a bunch of draconian ultra-Leftist directives, ban all religion, steal guns and property from white peopleAmerican Citizens and redistribute it to gay commie feminists, imprison dissenters in prison camps (the ones reserved by Trump for immigrants maybe?), and finally, ultimately, abdicate American sovereignty to the new Jewish One-World Government.
Again?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'll take a wild guess that our experiences match. Where it's less likely that a modern Catholic will take great offense with a former believer morphing into a friendly atheist than an Evangelical might.
My late father, when I was a teenager, recommended Portrait of the Artist by James Joyce to me, in particular
—Then, said Cranly, you do not intend to become a protestant?

—I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost selfrespect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?
In later years, my mother often said he'd seen himself in Stephen, in so many ways.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

[Lin] Wood’s ambitions to shake up the GOP—or at least pressure it into meeting his demands—could extend for years. At one point in the rally, Wood donned a “FLYNN” cap, a reference to former Trump national security adviser and central QAnon protagonist Michael Flynn.

“How about Sidney Powell and Mike Flynn in 2024?” Wood said, floating the QAnon dream ticket.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I was about to say "Great idea, if they run they'll split the Republican vote!" Then I remembered Trump won in 2016, that we've proved there is no crazy too crazy to win, and I bit my lip.
I recently read Republic of Lies by Anna Merlan, which shows both why conspiracism is so attractive -- after all, there are plenty of real examples of conspiracies and cover-ups by bad actors in government, the security services, law enforcement, the media and business -- and how conspiracism, from birtherism, to Russiagate and the deep state and the mainstream liberal media being out to get him, and Soros and globalists, and now QAnon, have been integral to Trump's political career. He's also deeply into medical conspiracism, of course.

One encouraging observation in the book -- and maybe we're seeing an example now -- is how, while conspiracy theories are self-sustaining, since anything can be woven into the conspiracy, they're self-destructive, precisely because they contain so many conflicting elements, and so many of their promoters are grifters, monetising the whole thing, so contradictions become false flag operations, directed by the same sinister forces in charge of the conspiracy in the first place, and anyone who believes the elements that threaten your narrative must be one of the deep state.

In this case, the revolution doesn't so much eat its young but, after reaching a certain size, starts eating itself.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Proud Boys seemed pretty united when they were getting into street fights in Washington D.C. I do know that they are splintering into two different groups at the moment; one that wants to pretend they're not racist and the other who wants to wear it on their sleeve proudly.

Article about an ex-member

Why do men join the Proud Boys? "Most of it is just to fight," Schultz said. "They want to join a gang. So they can go fight antifa and hurt people that they don't like, and feel justified in doing it."

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Proud Boys seemed pretty united when they were getting into street fights in Washington D.C. I do know that they are splintering into two different groups at the moment; one that wants to pretend they're not racist and the other who wants to wear it on their sleeve proudly.

Article about an ex-member

I've not yet read either article, but I certainly had read earlier of a spit in the Proud Boys between those with less extreme racial views and the explicit white supremacists and (especially) antisemites, which apparently led to the more extreme racists either leaving or being expelled to form the Proud Goys (honestly), though I don't know what relations between the two might be.

After all, back when I was a student, the various leftist groups all hated each other (and they all hated Labour supporters like me) but they and we all got together in particular demonstrations and political actions, so it probably works the same way with the far right.

Last edited: