Protests in Belarus against stolen elections

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The protesters are only asking for a fair and transparent election and the police seem to be shifting toward allowing the protests sans violence. At least they’ve stopped lobbing grenades into the crowds. But Lukashenko will likely continue iron fistIng the country as long as he commands the Army.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Isabeau

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
It smells like an upcoming annexation of Belarus to me. A 'friend' helping a 'friend'.
Something like in 1968 in Prague.
That would not be very smart, Putin might drop Lukashenko and move in to "free the people" as part of his Panslavic agenda.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

In a statement, the Kremlin said Moscow stood ready to provide help in accordance with a collective military pact. It also said Belarus was under external pressure, without naming the source.
But Putin has stopped short of offering support or an endorsement of Lukashenko, who is facing the gravest crisis of his career. It is likely that Moscow will wait and see whether Lukashenko can survive the next weeks or even days, as protests and labour strikes grow and pressure mounts on him to leave office.
“Now it’s clear that Lukashenko’s era is over, and I think that’s clear for everyone in Moscow, including in the Kremlin,” said Dmitry Suslov, a professor and foreign affairs expert at Moscow’s Higher School of Economics.
Even if the Belarusian leader does limp through this crisis, Suslov said, his model of president-for-life probably will not. People around Lukashenko are reported to have already sounded out the Kremlin on fleeing to Russia if he is deposed, according to a Bloomberg report.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Preview for November?
If it is not about America, we make it about America anyway?
Actually, I'm glad someone said it. I'm sure most of us were thinking it. I know I was. The sad reality is that this could very well be us in about 2 and a half months. I think we need to acknowledge that possibility. It would be foolish to not at least see the parallels in our situations.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Actually, I'm glad someone said it. I'm sure most of us were thinking it. I know I was. The sad reality is that this could very well be us in about 2 and a half months. I think we need to acknowledge that possibility. It would be foolish to not at least see the parallels in our situations.
I certainly hope some alert reporter thinks to ask Trump to comment on Lukashenko clinging to power and refusing to concede he lost the election (I also wish someone would ask him how he knows all the illegal votes he says were cast in 2016 were went to HRC and not him).

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
There are dozens of threads on VVO about American elections, American presidents, American racism, American Vice Presidents, American what nots. Can't there just simply be a thread about European shit, without claiming that as well?
Pffff.
Is it so hard to write in one of those threads: That's what happening in Bellarus is the US in three months? (Which is totally not true, neither Canada nor Mexico are planning to send troupes to help 45)

Last edited:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I certainly hope some alert reporter thinks to ask Trump to comment on Lukashenko clinging to power and refusing to concede he lost the election (I also wish someone would ask him how he knows all the illegal votes he says were cast in 2016 were went to HRC and not him).
:qft:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
There are (give or take a few) dozens of threads on VVO about American elections, American presidents, American racism, American Vice Presidents, American what nots. Can't there just simply be a thread about European shit, without claiming that as well?
Pffff.
Is it so hard to write in one of those threads: That's what happening in Bellarus is the US in three months? (Which is totally not true, neither Canada nor Mexico are planing to send troups to help 45)
Obviously this is a predominantly US forum, but I hope people appreciate the fact this is all happening on the borders of the EU, so it's a lot closer to home for us than it is for people in the US.

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
If it is not about America, we make it about America anyway?
It is not completely impossible we will be faced with the same in November. Trump is meeting with Putin between now and then and has been talking to him often on the phone (always without transcripts, of course). This is not our pain, but they are showing amazing courage and intelligence in their protests. It doesn't hurt to learn from it and be ready to use their example.