Protests in Belarus against stolen elections

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Yes, a nice utopia. While it might work out for Belarus, it definitely will not for Hong Kong as part of Communist China.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The question that I've been asking myself all the time is: why did they USA and rest choose to act now, but not earlier? It's not like the previous elections haven't been bogus as well, but few years ago nobody cared about it.

So what's the reason why suddenly the USA decided to take actions, while they didn't it before? Especially the USA don't care about democracy in their foreign policy at all, as history clearly shows. As long as a dictator, like e.g. Saddam Hussein, is in line with their plans, the USA will pamper him with money and weapons to no end. And the USA are not above dethrowning democratically elected leaders like Salvador Allende in Chile at 11/09/1973, if they are not in line with USA's foreign policies and long term goals.

So the simple elephant in the room is: why do the USA suddenly care about removing him from the office? One reason might be Russia, another one possible pipelines, but we can only guess right now.

The EU had longer lasting sanctions already in place, but since Belarus has not many economical ties to the EU their impact is rather limited.

By the way EU's sanctions against Belarus have been blocked by the veto of Cyprus. You've got to keep on mind that the EU is consensus driven, meaning if only one country vetoes the decision is blocked.

The reason why Cyprus choose to do this is Erdogan's Turkey. Cyprus feels directly threatened by Erdogan, and that it's violating the sovereignty of Cyprus, but the EU does nothing against him. On the other hand according to Cyprus Belarus is not threatening EU members nor a member of the EU.

Cyprus feels that the EU should first do all to protect its own members against real threats, in their case Turkey, before moving on to Belarus. That's the reason they vetoed, because in their opinion the EU's strategy against Turkey is appeasement, which they do find rightfully quite disturbing given their geographical location and history with Turkey.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The reason why Cyprus choose to do this is Erdogan's Turkey. Cyprus feels directly threatened by Erdogan, and that it's violating the sovereignty of Cyprus, but the EU does nothing against him. On the other hand according to Cyprus Belarus is not threatening EU members nor a member of the EU.
There's a great deal of Russian money in Cyprus, still, of course., so Cyprus presumably doesn't want to fall out too badly with Russia. That might have something to do with it, too.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
And how many Western countries are laundering their money in Cyprus as well? It's not such an unlikely practice.

I am certain though if your own country is divided in a Turkish and Greek part since ages, and Turkey starts to act funny while not being really far away that security is by a far shot the main concern.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
And how many Western countries are laundering their money in Cyprus as well? It's not such an unlikely practice.

I am certain though if your own country is divided in a Turkish and Greek part since ages, and Turkey starts to act funny while not being really far away that security is by a far shot the main concern.
Cyprus' attitude towards Russia is unlikely to be monocausal, of course.

Are relations between Cyprus and Turkey any worse than usual? They may be -- I don't really follow that particular dispute, though I don't recall seeing anything in the news about it, and I can't imagine Erdogan wanting to start up any more trouble in the area, when he's already got Iraq and Syria to worry about, and neither do I think either Russia or the US would be too happy with him if he did.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Grandma Bates

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
About 100,000 demonstrators marched in the Belarusian capital calling for the authoritarian president’s ouster, some wearing cardboard crowns to ridicule him, on Sunday as the protests that have rocked the country marked their 50th consecutive day.

Protests also took place in nine other cities, underlining the wide extent of dismay and anger with President Alexander Lukashenko who has stifled opposition and independent news media during 26 years in power.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez