Prince's entire song catalog now on TikTok

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
TikTok has signed a deal with Prince’s estate to bring the late artist’s “full catalog” to its app, starting today. Prince was long protective of his work, pulling music from most streaming services before his death. But his estate began bringing albums back to services like Spotify in 2017. TikTok is the “first short-form video app” to gain access to his complete discography, a very specific but still notable superlative, given how popular the story format has become over the past few years.

The deal means TikTok users will be able to dance, joke around, or otherwise vibe to Prince’s songs in their videos. TikTok’s relatively young user base isn’t necessarily going to be cheering over this announcement, but the company and estate hope it’ll help introduce Prince’s music to a new generation of fans.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Interesting. Of course I love Prince's music and he had the hometown thing going on, as well. I wonder if he would approve of this. I remember, not all that many years ago if you were to go to YouTube and search say, "Purple Rain" you wouldn't get any results because he hired people to scour it for his music and have it struck as copyright violation. He was pretty vigilant about that, and of course we know about his changing his name to a symbol in his fight with his record company.

I'm not sure he would approve of his family/estate decisions to monopolize on his music.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Interesting. Of course I love Prince's music and he had the hometown thing going on, as well. I wonder if he would approve of this. I remember, not all that many years ago if you were to go to YouTube and search say, "Purple Rain" you wouldn't get any results because he hired people to scour it for his music and have it struck as copyright violation. He was pretty vigilant about that, and of course we know about his changing his name to a symbol in his fight with his record company.

I'm not sure he would approve of his family/estate decisions to monopolize on his music.
Prince released Lovesexy on CD as a single track because he didn't want listeners to shuffle or skip tracks. For those of you too young to have listened to albums before CDs and digital tracks, skipping a song used to require you to either lift the needle and aim for the groove between tracks or to fast forward a tape, making it wear out earlier. And you had to listen to all the songs in order (although I found out years later that REM prefered to have listeners play the left side before the right, because some bands got cute and avoided the 1/2 or A/B labels). Prince wanted to keep that kind of control over his albums since he put a lot of thought into sequencing tracks.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
OMG! I love, love, love Prince! Soooo, that's awesome news; I'll check it out! Which song do you think is the best? I honestly can't choose one; I love all of them equally, but "I wanna be your lover", and "When doves cry" definitely stand out. Nearly forgot! "I could never take the place of your man" is also amongst my favs! By the way, I'm just getting started on TikTok and would like to boost my audience.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Piers became a "buy Tiktok followers" spammer, which is...not a thing Tiktok'ers really like.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Clara D.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Dammit, Cristiano never gave me back my kill-with-fire rights from SLU.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Dammit, Cristiano never gave me back my kill-with-fire rights from SLU.
Some of us continue the watch...

BTW, should we be taking bets on just what goes to link?

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
On TikTok, these rankings actually matter. Just like followers on Twitter or likes on Facebook, TikTok's ranking system determines how many people see a particular piece of content. This ranking system, in turn, encourages people to put their time into TikTok and share its content in the hope that it will gain enough viewers to climb to the top.
Cheese matters more than ephemeral internet "ratings."

I've never been downvoted by cheddarjack.

• 1LOL
Reactions: GoblinCampFollower

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Kinda like search engine optimization and random links edited into posts days after the fact?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.