Preventing Unwelcome Twitter Mentions

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
My Twitter account has recently been mentioned in what amount to advertisements and promotions. Followers are reacting and commenting as though I'm tweeting the posts. The settings don't give me an option to block such mentions and, not being teh twitter savvy, I don't know what to do about it. Explanations and suggestions are most welcome. Here's a sample:

This guy follows me, though I don't know him from Adam, and don't follow him. Some of the others have no connection to me at all. What can I do!?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
That's weird!

I have no idea how to prevent something like that, sorry. Perhaps something in your profile blurb addressing it? "I have nothing to do with these tweets", etc

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Khamon

Romana

SL Rez
Are they mistaking your Twitter account for someone else who has a similar name? That happens a lot. If so, find the other person's correct Twitter account and mention "not to be confused with x", or "not the guy who does x".
I've seen other accounts do that.

• 1Thanks

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Are they mistaking your Twitter account for someone else who has a similar name? That happens a lot. If so, find the other person's correct Twitter account and mention "not to be confused with x", or "not the guy who does x".
I've seen other accounts do that.
Like this guy. :)

Sounds like someone thought they'd be smart and @ someone on twitter without checking they had the correct username. If it seems people are making a genuine mistake, tweet a reply and point out that they got the wrong username. They should be decent enough to delete the tweet and tweet another with the correct name in. It's a bit sloppy to not check usernames, but it happens. There's a poor guy on Twitter @johnlewis who is frequently mistaken for a big store here in the UK.

I've never found a setting to prevent people from mentioning you, which is a shame because it would be really handy. I'd recommend you switch off the option for people to tag you in photos, you don't want to wake up and find out your namesake is a popular public speaker.

If you block someone on Twitter, their account will unfollow you and can't follow you again or visit your page. You can unblock them again if you just want to stop them following you. Mute is less drama-inducing if you just want to silence people - they won't know they're muted :)

Notifications can be set up to filter out people you don't follow/don't follow you etc, that might help if you're getting a deluge of irrelevant junk. Another option is using something like tweetdeck to access twitter as some apps have additional filters you could layer on top of that.

The most drastic option is changing your username, but I think names are immediately available for someone else to grab, so only try that if you don't mind a name change long term :)

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Khamon and Soen Eber

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Not much you can do about it. I get this on both my regular Twitter accounts. One is my real name which is fairly common and matches a few minor celebrities and my regular non real name which was taken on Instagram, so when people @ on Insta, then share to Twitter, it @s to me.

• 1Thanks