Pressured Speech in Bipolar Disorder

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I'll just leave this here....

Can Pressured Speech Be a Symptom of Hypomania in Bipolar Disorder?

Pressured speech differs from ordinary talkativeness and represents a noticeable change in a person's usual manner of speaking. It manifests as a compelling, virtually irresistible desire to talk. A person experiencing this symptom feels driven to talk, typically for prolonged periods and faster than usual. Other common features include speaking loudly and emphatically, and talking over or interrupting others.

Following the conversation can be challenging for the listener because someone with pressured speech also typically experiences racing thoughts. This leads to jumping rapidly from one topic to another, a sign called flight of ideas. With a hypomanic episode, the conversation may seem odd but generally logical. Pressured speech during a manic episode, however, usually leaves the listener confused because the conversation is characteristically disjointed, illogical, fantastical, or even scary.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
  • 1Useful
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Those times ya tick off diagnostic criteria when someone's a parade of ME ME ME mixed with EVERYONE OWES ME SERVICE...
One doesn't necessarily rule out the other. But the furious pace, the rapid-fire projectile word-vomit, brings to mind a disorder separate from narcissism.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
/me waves a bipolar paw. On my manic days I can drive people up the wall but I can't stop, I even annoy myself.

And yes, it's different than NPD attention whoring.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
On my manic days I can drive people up the wall but I can't stop, I even annoy myself.
That must be infuriating to be aware of how annoying it is but be unable to stop.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I'm lucky in that while I'm bi-polar, I've a milder form; mostly on the manic side. I used to live with someone who had the more extreme form, the worst part was the meanness of the manic phases and feeding off each other....
I would much prefer to just have the over-enthusiastic psychotically happy episodes over the I HATE EVERYTHING days.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I would much prefer to just have the over-enthusiastic psychotically happy episodes over the I HATE EVERYTHING days.
Yeah; I've been on more different medications than I care to count now - the only one that didn't screw me up in other ways was the old school med I was on in college [in the 80s, when it was still manic depression]. I can't take them. I still feel kinda depressed, but maybe more listless, but then I don't ever feel happy, and I can't create things. I'm an artist, so its kind of essential to be able to do that.