Political discussion on VVO

SL Rez
SLU Posts
This is going to be a difficult time here in the US. The UK too. People have their differences in opinion in who is the best candidate of course. For me, I don't mind people saying Trump sucks (of course), Hillary sucks, Bernie sucks, Elizabeth sucks, Pence sucks, Tulsi sucks or someone on TV sucks. What I do have a problem with is people saying I suck or someone else on this forum sucks. It makes things very difficult to have a conversation about all of this in these hard times.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
On the other hand...there is a warning about PRS. I see peeps complain about how they are treated but not change how they react to others. It would be nice if everyone in the VVO family could all get along...but yet not cool for some to call out bad behavior when they also partake.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Ashiri and Isabeau

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
In all seriousness.....on SLU I was called out for being insufferable when arguing. There's people I really respect who got so fed up with me they just stopped replying to me at all, ever, about anything. I've tried to change how I act, and it seems to have worked; I think I'm liked a bit better now.

I guess the secret is, it's okay if someone doesn't agree with you. Even if you think they're wrong, and think you know exactly why, you don't have to go back and forth scrubbing over every single point until they see things your way. I mean I won't say I don't come up with extremely hot takes now and then, but I won't spend pages and pages arguing if someone disagrees*.

I kinda saw the way that one thread was going, and I stopped participating so much. It had been locked for like a day already by the time I even checked on it.

(* unless the argument involves pineapple on pizza)

Ishina

SL Rez
I try to strike a balance between telling people they suck and being civil. Too much of either is disgusting.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
In all seriousness.....on SLU I was called out for being insufferable when arguing. There's people I really respect who got so fed up with me they just stopped replying to me at all, ever, about anything. I've tried to change how I act, and it seems to have worked; I think I'm liked a bit better now.

I guess the secret is, it's okay if someone doesn't agree with you. Even if you think they're wrong, and think you know exactly why, you don't have to go back and forth scrubbing over every single point until they see things your way. I mean I won't say I don't come up with extremely hot takes now and then, but I won't spend pages and pages arguing if someone disagrees*.

I kinda saw the way that one thread was going, and I stopped participating so much. It had been locked for like a day already by the time I even checked on it.

Pineapple on pizza is so clearly sucky there simply cannot be an argument. It’s Obvious.

🍕

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts

I just go from zero to I STAB YOU with no warning at all. I don't do passive-aggressive, it's one or the other :p

• 1Like
Reactions: NyteWytch

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
On the other hand...there is a warning about PRS.
I remember the warning in the SLU PRS, one I took heed of, but I don't see one in VVO.
(Some threads are on my ignore list, I ignored the entirety of PRS once. Seems the best way for me to stay sane)

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Stora

SL Rez
This is going to be a difficult time here in the US. The UK too. People have their differences in opinion in who is the best candidate of course. For me, I don't mind people saying Trump sucks (of course), Hillary sucks, Bernie sucks, Elizabeth sucks, Pence sucks, Tulsi sucks or someone on TV sucks. What I do have a problem with is people saying I suck or someone else on this forum sucks. It makes things very difficult to have a conversation about all of this in these hard times.

Simple answer is to stop engaging in the thread when people start personal attacks because you hold a different view, that's what I do.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I've long thought that one of the great things about online forums like this is that we can type stuff and then walk away from the computer to calm down and then, a while later, return and re-read it and decide whether we really do feel like hitting the send button and telling the object of our wrath and scorn exactly what we think of him or her.

Generally, I find that writing my diatribe is sufficient to get it out of my system, so I then tend to delete the post and mute the poster instead, since life is too short to spend getting staying angry with idiots.

Speaking as a veteran of the old UK politics forums on usenet, where I used to find myself dealing with everyone from Trotskyists to BNP activists, I've always found PRS and this forum remarkably civilised.

Last edited:

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Simple answer is to stop engaging in the thread when people start personal attacks because you hold a different view, that's what I do.
Or, if its bad enough, ignore. Which is almost too effective sometimes, when people are responding and you don't see what they respond to - but it does work wonderfully.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Generally, I find that writing my diatribe is sufficient to get it out of my system, so I then tend to delete the post and mute the poster instead, since life is too short to spend getting angry with idiots.
The one thing I really don't like about the XenForo software is the way it retains unfinished and/or unposted replies. On the old board, if I changed my mind about a post before hitting reply, I could navigate away from the page and my reconsidered words would be lost to the ether. In XenForo however, as soon as you put something in the post box, it's there until you actively delete it. I can start and abort a post on day one of a thread, then return to the thread a week later and my half-written diatribe will still be there at the bottom of the page, trying to trick me into accidentally posting it. It's evil is what it is.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The one thing I really don't like about the XenForo software is the way it retains unfinished and/or unposted replies. On the old board, if I changed my mind about a post before hitting reply, I could navigate away from the page and my reconsidered words would be lost to the ether. In XenForo however, as soon as you put something in the post box, it's there until you actively delete it. I can start and abort a post on day one of a thread, then return to the thread a week later and my half-written diatribe will still be there at the bottom of the page, trying to trick me into accidentally posting it. It's evil is what it is.
I have found the "delete draft" button very useful since I discovered it: