WTF LOL! Please check out the SL blog

I'm not sure LL are the best people to try a carrot and stick approach in converting basic users to premium. Certainly not if these changes are anything to go by :D

I don't think the changes are helpful for SL businesses who use groups for customer communication and IMs for support. At least not with newer customers who won't have the group slots for VIP groups etc.

I've got a few months before my premium needs renewing, but I doubt I'll renew it after these changes. Ailsa's been earning enough to pay premium at old rates, and a bit over that I can actually take as a profit. Not knowing how my sales will be in advance, I've always cashed out and stashed what she made until premium was covered and I knew how much extra I had to play with. I can't see myself paying the extra $27 to LL this year, that's just too much of an increase for me to shrug off. I could cover it, but it makes more sense to lapse premium and use the money for renting land instead.

Kinda fancied playing with some of the new Linden homes at some point, but at those prices I couldn't justify premium plus an extra 1024 tier to get one.

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
I'm a basic user & I'll stay a basic user! I really resent them using the "stick approach" to try to get basic users to start paying on a game that's 15 yrs old. It pisses me off that they'll cut back on the number of groups I can be in plus cut back on offline IMs & notices but I'll deal with it. I've turned off all the group notices & chats for every group I'm in except the staff group of the place where I work. I'll just have to try to remember to check current notices of the stores & shopping groups I'm in to see what I want to buy from new sales. I'm sure it'll curtail the amount of money I spend shopping but that's probably a good thing too. Unfortunately, if other basic users like me choose to do this it'll probably effect the bottom line of stores when people like me forget to check those current notices. SL isn't making any friends by making these changes.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Repeat after me: LL does not lose money when it pays you a stipend.

Memberships don't lose LL a single (real) penny just because they pay you a stipend. You have to SELL your Lindens to another player for real US$ and then you use those dollars to pay for your membership and/or tier.

LL could raise the stipend so that more of the new higher membership fee was covered, and god only knows why they aren't doing this. A stipend raise would not cost them anything (except some programming time) since Lindens have no real value and LL can make as many of them as they want. They would, however, reduce the sticker shock of the higher Premium fee.

By increasing the gap between stipends and Membership dues, they will drive a lot of people to drop Premium memberships altogether. All of us who are on the edge of leaving, who are willing to stay as long as it doesn't cost us too much to keep a toe in the water, are now getting a shove out the door.

That would include me. I have three Premium accounts, but I'm not willing to keep all of them under the new pricing structure. I'm not even sure I'm willing to keep any of them, to be honest. Once I'm down to a single Premium account with 1024m of land, I'd be better off with all Basic accounts and just renting a nice house somewhere scenic.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Dang. I was considering just leaving my annual premium fees happen year after year even though I play maybe 5 times a year, but if they are going to hike the price I have to consider if it’s worth it just to keep a Linden home
Same here, I do not log in much but if they are going to hike the fees this much I may as well just cancel and use a freebie account. I have no idea where they got the idea that SL accounts were worth that much.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Repeat after me: LL does not lose money when it pays you a stipend.

Memberships don't lose LL a single (real) penny just because they pay you a stipend. You have to SELL your Lindens to another player for real US$ and then you use those dollars to pay for your membership and/or tier.

LL could raise the stipend so that more of the new higher membership fee was covered, and god only knows why they aren't doing this. A stipend raise would not cost them anything (except some programming time) since Lindens have no real value and LL can make as many of them as they want. They would, however, reduce the sticker shock of the higher Premium fee.

By increasing the gap between stipends and Membership dues, they will drive a lot of people to drop Premium memberships altogether. All of us who are on the edge of leaving, who are willing to stay as long as it doesn't cost us too much to keep a toe in the water, are now getting a shove out the door.

That would include me. I have three Premium accounts, but I'm not willing to keep all of them under the new pricing structure. I'm not even sure I'm willing to keep any of them, to be honest. Once I'm down to a single Premium account with 1024m of land, I'd be better off with all Basic accounts and just renting a nice house somewhere scenic.
Exactly. Since I worked out my looks years ago I do not spend all my lindens like crazy. It is not like pixels wear out so my only replacements are for things like I deleted something. Most of what I get gets donated to one thing on another. So whether ll is paying me real money or the digital equivalent of monopoly money does not make a huge difference there. However by doing this then I may as well just donate RL money or buy lindens as the game is not worth it to me otherwise.

Until lately I had 2 premium accounts. One went recently. Now I am looking at the other and wondering if it is worth keeping.

Aki

(Anne Cloud)
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Ages Ago.
Basic/Premium Account Stuff:
---------------------------------------
My main has been a Premium member since roughly 6-7 months after joining. While I did that after the Oct 31 cutoff, my account was born before, so I managed to keep the L$500/week amount, and that alone makes it worth it for this one account.

I've also always kept at least some mainland on hand, but my current holdings do in part depend on contributions to a group from alts. The price change does probably mean I will tighten my belt a bit on the Premium membership level, but I do so with the understanding that was always going to happen anyway and frankly I'm surprised it hadn't happened sooner. Even Netflix has changed their monthly pricing (twice) in the time it's existed. Yes, SL has been around for a long time, but it still has ongoing costs that don't just magically go away.

Offline IM Cap: This has never been an issue for me - with or without a premium account. I simply allow IMs to forward to email. Problem solved. The *only* time it becomes an issue is when objects are delivered offline - and most modern vendors, update, and notification servers have a 'deliver when online' option, which mitigates this - Even in this circumstance, I receive only a handful of items per month. If worst comes to worst, I can always be contacted by email.

Group Membership: At Basic, 35 is workable. I remember a time when that limit was lower and I still made do. Even if it is too few, Basic accounts are free. If pushed, I would simply keep all non-essential announcement-only groups on an alt and pile the social ones on the main. Even at Premium and 13 years in, I'm currently at 52. I could probably drop 11 of those right away. Of the rest, 18 are mandatory to keep - the rest I would be okay with leaving/rejoining at a later date. I say this noting I run two active shops, am active in several groups as a dev for The Wastelands, and make use of various content creation help groups multiple times daily, 7 days a week.

All in all, I look at these changes to the Basic/Premium service offerings and it seems like this to me: The goal is to encourage more people to have a Premium account. I suspect the cost/benefit analysis bears out that # of alt accounts that are pulled from Premium status are fewer than the potential boost in first-time Premium account holders.

Processing Fees:
----------------------------
2.5% change to L$ processing fees: This was always going to happen. Anyone who cannot work in to their pricing that % of change needs to revisit their business model. SL is chock full of bargain basement sales and events demanding premium content every week. It's tiring and it dilutes price & brand identity at the base level. It would be nice to see more people price their work what it deserves rather than competing for the smallest slice of pie. If that means the people who can't handle that will leave, then so be it.

Land Price Reductions:
-------------------------------------
Overall, helpful, but it's unlikely to be passed on by landowners to their renters.

Aki

(Anne Cloud)
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Ages Ago.
All in all, I look at these changes to the Basic/Premium service offerings and it seems like this to me: The goal is to encourage more people to have a Premium account. I suspect the cost/benefit analysis bears out that # of alt accounts that are pulled from Premium status are fewer than the potential boost in first-time Premium account holders.
Having said this, I *do* think Premium accounts should offer more perks than simply improving offline IM & group caps (for the same reason I listed previously).
- Multiple storefronts on MP per account
- Improved management tools on MP overall
- Improved stipend

I also wish certain privileges would be limited to Premium & Concierge-level accounts;
- uploading textures over a certain size
- uploading mesh content over a certain polycount*
- wearing scripted content over a certain memory count, over which it simply stops functioning.

* Above and beyond the additional fees it already costs for high complexity content.

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
Basic/Premium Account Stuff:
---------------------------------------
Offline IM Cap: This has never been an issue for me - with or without a premium account. I simply allow IMs to forward to email. Problem solved. The *only* time it becomes an issue is when objects are delivered offline - and most modern vendors, update, and notification servers have a 'deliver when online' option, which mitigates this - Even in this circumstance, I receive only a handful of items per month. If worst comes to worst, I can always be contacted by email.
Regarding that Offline IM Cap - I have my offline IMs forwarded to email already & when my cap of 25 is reached you don't see any more until you log in again to clear them out & start your count over again. I already reach my cap on some days because I'm the manager of a club & some days I get quite a few IMs when I'm not online. To lower it to 15 will be a major pain in the ass! Does it count if they're sending you messages by notecard too? I think so but I'm not positive.

I don't mind there being a difference in the amount of groups that a basic account receives vs a premium account. I don't even mind if there's a difference between the offline IMs (and notecards?) a basic account receives vs a premium account. There's already been a difference in those thing since the last big change they put thru on this issue. Where I DO have a problem is with them lowering group count plus offline IMs for us basic users from what it's been. If they'd just gone ahead & bumped up what premium accounts get & not changed what basic accounts get that'd be fine & dandy with me. It pisses me off that they're trying to punish me & other basic users. Premium users already get quite a few perks that basic users don't get.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
I'm at the L$400 stipend level, so SL will cost me about $16 per year, if I value L$ at about 250 to the dollar. I can afford that. I have a nice 1024 parcel adjacent the Lumiere Noir memorial and within view of the Ivory Tower. I'll keep it.

They should raise the 300L stipend to 400. I wouldn't object, but I'm sure lots of 400L stipend people would.

Ryanna Enfield

My premium doesn't renew until December, but the increase stings like a slap to the face. I am an oldbie (2005) who receives the $500L stipend, so I'm pretty sure that will be the next premium perk to go.

I log in every day in order to care for my KittyCats, and I breed them as a hobby. I have a small 1024 that I use to sell some cats. I put more money into my cats than I make, and I have been okay with that situation for a long time.

Now, I'm considering selling my land, and dumping my premium membership. Without the cats, it will be considerably easier to detach from SL. I realize it is not a massive increase in price, but what's next?

Throughout my time in SL, the only thing you could really count on from LL was that they would eventually get around to pissing every one of their customers off. It was a long time coming. They have learned absolutely nothing.

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
I'm a rant.

As Grumpity Linden said, it is a bitter pill. I was going to post my gripe over in the official forums, but since so many folks in that thread seem to think these changes are acceptable and reasonable, I figured this was a better place for my dissenting opinion.

I've been a Premium member since 2010. I'm a consumer, not a creator (never have been). The only Premium features I genuinely care about are the higher group number and included land. The stipend is nice too, but it wasn't the reason I upgraded. I don't care at all about the other Premium benefits such as virtual gifts (which are mostly ugly and poorly built) and priority access to areas and events. The only changes that affect, I think, are those to Premium membership. Having said that, I'm very disappointed with all of it.

To me, the changes appear greedy and arrogant with LL taking a lot and offering little new value in return. It's like LL has decided residents should now pay retroactively for work that has been requested for years and recently delivered (sometimes badly), or as a consequence of the Lab's short-sightedness and failures.

LAND PRICE REDUCTIONS

That's nice for sim owners. Too bad the cost has to be passed on to the rest of us in the form of a higher Premium membership.

Does LL expect that lowering the monthly maintenance cost of Full Regions will result in lower rental prices for other residents? It's tough to sell trickle-down economics in this day and age. And for those of us who are happy owning a Linden home or a mainland 512 or 1024 parcel, this is an added cost we have to accept with zero benefits.

Further, it's not the overhaul to land pricing that was touted. More compelling changes would have been to make Homesteads available without the Full Region requirement or expanding add-on prim limit options (because, for example, I don't need more land or a larger parcel, but I might pay more for added prims).

PREMIUM & BASIC ACCOUNT CHANGES

I don't feel the value of Premium Memberships increases significantly with higher limits on Group memberships and increasing caps on offline IMs in exchange for an additional USD$27 a year. And for people outside the US, this gets very expensive.

I understand that LL has not increased the Premium price in a long time and it's reasonable to raise it, but it should be incremental, not a big hike during other changes that don't seem to add value or benefit to residents. And in light of all the changes, a few more perks could have been added such as increasing the stipend.

The reduced limits for Basic Membership strike me as unfair, and the implication that Premium members are more loyal is insensitive and untrue. Does LL consider that people without Premium membership may still buy lindens, rent, and overall contribute to the Linden economy?

Does LL consider that people have multiple accounts and not all of them may be Premium? Does LL consider that mesh makes it more expensive for mesh lovers with numerous accounts to upgrade them?

It seems like LL wants to push people into Premium by reducing the value of Basic rather than increasing the value of Premium itself. As I mentioned, for me, Premium is worth it for two reasons only: the included land and the higher number of groups. But is it worth it for more than one or two accounts? Nope.

Also, the promise of a new Linden home or houseboat is lovely. It would be even better actually to get one.

CREDIT PROCESSING FEE CHANGE

LL creates very little in SL and while I understand that the fee change offsets increased regulatory and compliance costs, I'd be pretty mad if I were a creator, one among those people that make SL successful and enjoyable. Mesh put many creators out of business, and this change may again decrease their numbers.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Really nothing justifies this 37.5 % increase of my membership costs.
Not even the fact that they hadn't raised the premium fee in over 10 years? IIRC it was $72 when I joined SL in 2006! Though IMHO they should have been slowly increasing the fee over the past decade instead of just hitting us with a big increase in one year. Grid knows why they hadn't done that.

I ain't gonna shell out more money so they can decrease the costs for the heavy users
You mean the region owners? Then what do you say to the "The Tier is Too Damn High crowd" who've been clamoring for LL to increase the fees on the mostly non-landed shoppers/consumers to diversify their income stream so they can drop the tier prices for YEARS.

I've had a premium account since I joined SL. I was seriously thinking about going premium on 3 alts so I could have a 4096 parcel. That would have been $288 per year. Now it would be $396. No thanks. No way. With the price increase it is cheaper for me to buy L$ and rent a plot of land.
The advantage of having an alt go premium diminishes as you land needs increase. For me to go up to 4096 on a single avatar it would be $72/99 for the premium and an additional $264. I'd get the land and $103 worth of L$ and I couldn't take advantage of the group bonus.

But if I was to do it with alts:
Primary Oldbie elite me with the 500L$ stipend: $72/99 for 1024 and $103 worth of L$
3 alts for $72/99 with 1024 apiece and $62 of L$ for each. And I could take advantage of the group bonus.

If "I" wanted 4096 it would probably save me a little (but not a lot of) money to have those 3 alts, and transfer the L$ to my primary. It would reduce, though not eliminate, my need to press the Buy L$ button...many many times. As it is, I do have a premium alt, and yes, I am currently planning on keeping her premium even with the increase. I consider it a "somewhat fair" deal under the new fees, though it is not as favorable to me as it was under the old fee schedule. Would I rather they keep the $72 premium fee? Yeah, but that's not sustainable.

But if you're not a virtual shopping addict, tiering up on a single avatar is probably more cost effective.

IMHO the included premium tier allocation should be 2048, that'd take some of that abandoned mainland off the market.

Are you factoring in the cost of the land? Last I knew it was around 300 L per USD so even at 500 LL is making more by raising it to 99.
It's not 300L$ to 1US$, it's around 250 to the buck. if it was 300, every land baron and creator-who-cashes out would be panicking and pulling out the torches and pitchforks...which they did when it hit 265 per buck a few years back! 500L$ a week is about $103 worth of L$ a year, so yeah even with the higher fee I'd be a loss for LL if I didn't buy L$...which of course I do. for 300L$ a week it's $62.

I feel sorry for free basic accounts who will now see their group limits reduced down.
Why can't the lab just leave it as it was.
I think lowering the group limit for basics was a bad idea. Admittedly LL's talked about putting more limits on basic accounts for years, but never actually did anything....until now. I understand the technical reason "why" they're doing it, but don't think they should, or should have implemented it slowly over time.

]

You're forgetting one thing...SL is an almost pure trickle up economy. I don't have to sell my stipend for me to cost LL money, all I have to do is pay it to someone who DOES cash out. Maybe a land baron with a thing for catgirls, maybe a store owner selling me pretty dresses. Of course, I'm The CC, I shop, it's what I do, so giving my L$ to people who cash out is kinda my jam. Say I put my 103 US$ of L$ a year into one of the Great and Glorious Leader Shang's little meters (which I pretty much do)...guess what, LL has just given the Great and Glorious Leader Shang a subsidy of $103 dollars.

Or say I didn't plop it into a parcel meter and spent it on SL fashion. Guess what, LL has just subsidized various SL fashion creators, because their costs are minimal (and maybe VERY minimal if they're marketplace only) and they make bank selling cute template dresses to me and then cash out that L$ into piles of money and hats made out of MONEY.

LL could raise the stipend so that more of the new higher membership fee was covered, and god only knows why they aren't doing this.
Because their money people told them to REDUCE stipend back in 2006.

A stipend raise would not cost them anything (except some programming time) since Lindens have no real value and LL can make as many of them as they want.
Again, you're forgetting SL is a trickle up economy, if they increase stipend, they increase the amount they're subsidizing the people who DO cash out.

I have three Premium accounts, but I'm not willing to keep all of them under the new pricing structure. I'm not even sure I'm willing to keep any of them, to be honest. Once I'm down to a single Premium account with 1024m of land, I'd be better off with all Basic accounts and just renting a nice house somewhere scenic.
As I said above, that depends on how many times you hit the buy L$ button and if you take advantage of the group land bonus by having your alts and yourself share a residence AND how much in general you're willing to put into SL. In general I am currently NOT interested in creating another alt and taking that premium for more land...I have reached a land-owning level I am comfortable with. Sure I wouldn't mind having one of those new Linden Homes...but I might not be able to make one of them work for my needs. Maybe one of the open plan houseboats "could" work but prims would be tight.

Same here, I do not log in much but if they are going to hike the fees this much I may as well just cancel and use a freebie account. I have no idea where they got the idea that SL accounts were worth that much.
They got the idea they were worth that much from Everquest, WoW, etc.

Where I DO have a problem is with them lowering group count plus offline IMs for us basic users from what it's been. If they'd just gone ahead & bumped up what premium accounts get & not changed what basic accounts get that'd be fine & dandy with me. It pisses me off that they're trying to punish me & other basic users.
Groups are a serious resource hog. Every time you cross a parcel boundary, the client has to connect to the groups server to see if you have parcel rights, because groups are connected to land in ways they probably shouldn't have been. What LL should have done was have different kinds of groups for different purposes. Some groups don't need to be tied to land at all, some do. Heck I always thought that LL should have bought Ning and integrated Ning into SL!

As Grumpity Linden said, it is a bitter pill. I was going to post my gripe over in the official forums, but since so many folks in that thread seem to think these changes are acceptable and reasonable,
I consider them....acceptable....reasonable...welllllllll. I'd much prefer they had done this over time, gradually.

LAND PRICE REDUCTIONS
That's nice for sim owners. Too bad the cost has to be passed on to the rest of us in the form of a higher Premium membership.
It's tough to sell trickle-down economics in this day and age. And for those of us who are happy owning a Linden home or a mainland 512 or 1024 parcel, this is an added cost we have to accept with zero benefits.
Yes, I would agree. But here's how I see Land Barons like the Great and Glorious Leader Shang: They're middlemen, and they're middlemen that LL wants to have so that THEY don't have to deal directly with as many land issues.

Okay, lets say regions were cheaper, and some girly-girl shopper like me named "Hotty Courtesan" gets herself a region. Suppose her girlfriend, "Sawcy Tart" also has a region. Suppose they want their regions next to each other. And then suppose Hotty sees Sawcy cheating on her with "Brazen Strumpet".

"O hai LL? I know that last week I wanted my region moved next to my girlfriend's but she cheated on me so I want to move my sim away to my new girlfriend I met yesterday kthxbai"

Or something like the following: "O hai LL? My RL cat has some car/vet bills so could you like put my region on hold for a few months until I can afford it again? Kthxbai"

LL doesn't want to deal with the masses owning regions that they might or mightnot be able to afford on a month to month basis. They want upper class tech knowledgable guys like Desmond Shang for whom setup fees and whatnot are "affordable" to deal with as much of the hoi polloi as they can.

(because, for example, I don't need more land or a larger parcel, but I might pay more for added prims).
I agree, I think having more "granular" addon benefits would be a good idea.

It seems like LL wants to push people into Premium by reducing the value of Basic rather than increasing the value of Premium itself.
Yes, I would agree with that.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I feel sorry for free basic accounts who will now see their group limits reduced down.

Why can't the lab just leave it as it was.
Yes, but it is not just free accounts. Remember premiums are being hit as well. Sure, if your costs include a sim or two you can absorb the cost of a premium (assuming you have one) but those of us who are not land barons will think twice now.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Not even the fact that they hadn't raised the premium fee in over 10 years? IIRC it was $72 when I joined SL in 2006! Though IMHO they should have been slowly increasing the fee over the past decade instead of just hitting us with a big increase in one year. Grid knows why they hadn't done that.

You mean the region owners? Then what do you say to the "The Tier is Too Damn High crowd" who've been clamoring for LL to increase the fees on the mostly non-landed shoppers/consumers to diversify their income stream so they can drop the tier prices for YEARS.

The advantage of having an alt go premium diminishes as you land needs increase. For me to go up to 4096 on a single avatar it would be $72/99 for the premium and an additional $264. I'd get the land and $103 worth of L$ and I couldn't take advantage of the group bonus.

But if I was to do it with alts:
Primary Oldbie elite me with the 500L$ stipend: $72/99 for 1024 and $103 worth of L$
3 alts for $72/99 with 1024 apiece and $62 of L$ for each. And I could take advantage of the group bonus.

If "I" wanted 4096 it would probably save me a little (but not a lot of) money to have those 3 alts, and transfer the L$ to my primary. It would reduce, though not eliminate, my need to press the Buy L$ button...many many times. As it is, I do have a premium alt, and yes, I am currently planning on keeping her premium even with the increase. I consider it a "somewhat fair" deal under the new fees, though it is not as favorable to me as it was under the old fee schedule. Would I rather they keep the $72 premium fee? Yeah, but that's not sustainable.

But if you're not a virtual shopping addict, tiering up on a single avatar is probably more cost effective.

IMHO the included premium tier allocation should be 2048, that'd take some of that abandoned mainland off the market.

It's not 300L$ to 1US$, it's around 250 to the buck. if it was 300, every land baron and creator-who-cashes out would be panicking and pulling out the torches and pitchforks...which they did when it hit 265 per buck a few years back! 500L$ a week is about $103 worth of L$ a year, so yeah even with the higher fee I'd be a loss for LL if I didn't buy L$...which of course I do. for 300L$ a week it's $62.

I think lowering the group limit for basics was a bad idea. Admittedly LL's talked about putting more limits on basic accounts for years, but never actually did anything....until now. I understand the technical reason "why" they're doing it, but don't think they should, or should have implemented it slowly over time.

]

You're forgetting one thing...SL is an almost pure trickle up economy. I don't have to sell my stipend for me to cost LL money, all I have to do is pay it to someone who DOES cash out. Maybe a land baron with a thing for catgirls, maybe a store owner selling me pretty dresses. Of course, I'm The CC, I shop, it's what I do, so giving my L$ to people who cash out is kinda my jam. Say I put my 103 US$ of L$ a year into one of the Great and Glorious Leader Shang's little meters (which I pretty much do)...guess what, LL has just given the Great and Glorious Leader Shang a subsidy of $103 dollars.

Or say I didn't plop it into a parcel meter and spent it on SL fashion. Guess what, LL has just subsidized various SL fashion creators, because their costs are minimal (and maybe VERY minimal if they're marketplace only) and they make bank selling cute template dresses to me and then cash out that L$ into piles of money and hats made out of MONEY.

Because their money people told them to REDUCE stipend back in 2006.

Again, you're forgetting SL is a trickle up economy, if they increase stipend, they increase the amount they're subsidizing the people who DO cash out.

As I said above, that depends on how many times you hit the buy L$ button and if you take advantage of the group land bonus by having your alts and yourself share a residence AND how much in general you're willing to put into SL. In general I am currently NOT interested in creating another alt and taking that premium for more land...I have reached a land-owning level I am comfortable with. Sure I wouldn't mind having one of those new Linden Homes...but I might not be able to make one of them work for my needs. Maybe one of the open plan houseboats "could" work but prims would be tight.

They got the idea they were worth that much from Everquest, WoW, etc.

Groups are a serious resource hog. Every time you cross a parcel boundary, the client has to connect to the groups server to see if you have parcel rights, because groups are connected to land in ways they probably shouldn't have been. What LL should have done was have different kinds of groups for different purposes. Some groups don't need to be tied to land at all, some do. Heck I always thought that LL should have bought Ning and integrated Ning into SL!

I consider them....acceptable....reasonable...welllllllll. I'd much prefer they had done this over time, gradually.

Yes, I would agree. But here's how I see Land Barons like the Great and Glorious Leader Shang: They're middlemen, and they're middlemen that LL wants to have so that THEY don't have to deal directly with as many land issues.

Okay, lets say regions were cheaper, and some girly-girl shopper like me named "Hotty Courtesan" gets herself a region. Suppose her girlfriend, "Sawcy Tart" also has a region. Suppose they want their regions next to each other. And then suppose Hotty sees Sawcy cheating on her with "Brazen Strumpet".

"O hai LL? I know that last week I wanted my region moved next to my girlfriend's but she cheated on me so I want to move my sim away to my new girlfriend I met yesterday kthxbai"

Or something like the following: "O hai LL? My RL cat has some car/vet bills so could you like put my region on hold for a few months until I can afford it again? Kthxbai"

LL doesn't want to deal with the masses owning regions that they might or mightnot be able to afford on a month to month basis. They want upper class tech knowledgable guys like Desmond Shang for whom setup fees and whatnot are "affordable" to deal with as much of the hoi polloi as they can.

I agree, I think having more "granular" addon benefits would be a good idea.

Yes, I would agree with that.
Ah, I thought I remembered 300L/USD for some reason. It has been awhile since I paid attention to that economy though.

As to cost of accounts, apples to oranges. The trend in games is to make them free after a few years if they were not free outright. WOW is the biggest one to buck the trend but since there is ongoing development you can argue it either way. When was the last major thing LL did with the grid? Mesh?

I do not own regions but from what I remember everything with them has a cost. Want your region moved again? Pay up. Want a region turned on that was turned off before? *rattles donation box* I would not be surprised if there was even a fee to keep one in storage after it was spun down.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
This all fits a pattern of LL in which they let things ride until some breaking point, then suddenly jack up prices, instead of planning far enough ahead that they could do incremental raises associated with enhancement releases.

Raising prices is mostly handling user expectations. A perfect time to raise Premium price would have been when prim allowances where increased substantially. Another small hike could have come with the 1024m free-tier of land. Pair price hikes with new features and you'd get a lot more buy-in from users. This is BASIC BUSINESS PRACTICE.

Spirits Rising

Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
Why did they cut the stipend anyway?
Probably because of the users that stockpile their Stipend to later convert it into actual cash that is then used to offset the cost of their Premium Account.

At 500 a week, that offset gave such users a slight amount to stockpile after the payment went through. At 400, users still have to pay a little out of pocket. At 300, more out of pocket.

Yet another reason I loathe the users that pretend their Stipend is some form of reimbursement.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Han Held

Aeon Jiminy

I've been reading opinions here and in the SL forum. My head is spinning. I dropped my premium account and ditched my mainland to offset the costs of the previous round of prices hikes. I was tempted to go back to premium and jump into the Linden Home goldrush. I'm glad I waited. I think it's always a good idea to not give into impulse regarding SL anymore. Wait and see how tight the screw will be turned before commiting. I used to own a full sim from LL. I used to have a viable business. I used to have a big life. I used to bring RL friends into SL and acclimate them. Today I just deleted a bunch of groups and cut myself off even further. With every policy change, there has always been a group of self-important residents cheering how I don't matter.

So please, keep cheering if being at the top of nothing is important to you. New people have no inviting door to walk through, anymore, and old people are continuously being given a reason to feel defeated. SL had better find a way to quickly open doors, because worshiping a few narcissists is not an enticing reason to come here or to stay. Just a reality check for those who feel compelled to give reality checks.