WTF LOL! Please check out the SL blog

Aeon Jiminy

One thing LL could do to get my attention for a premium account would be to offer a premium avatar, one that returned our ability to customize who we are with some kind of sane system tools. Linden homes are nice, but this kind of proves that anything we get that's remotely good is going to exploited for money. At least I'd be willing to pay 100 bucks a year to have a virtual body where I didn't have to orchestrate a NASA space launch or make an appeal to the Supreme Court to use my own texture.

Sid

Today I might do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
On the next billing date, I will most likely downgrade to a free account again.
Really nothing justifies this 37.5 % increase of my membership costs.
I ain't gonna shell out more money so they can decrease the costs for the heavy users and they can keep developing their fish dead in the water called Sansar.

Last edited:

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I've had a premium account since I joined SL. I was seriously thinking about going premium on 3 alts so I could have a 4096 parcel. That would have been $288 per year. Now it would be $396. No thanks. No way. With the price increase it is cheaper for me to buy L$ and rent a plot of land.

I'm with Sid on the idea that it should be cheaper for LL to run SL. This is just a way of grabbing money from premium account holders to support sim owners. Now I'm grumpy.

OrinB

I'm here...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
None of the "premium" add ons give me any need to upgrade to premium. I was premium on 2 accounts in the beginning but let those lapse after about 5 yrs. One of those was for land ownership. But i rent on private estates now. The L$300 per week wouldn't even make a 5% dent in the amount of lindens i purchase per week, so it's hardly worth even that. I had thought about it going premium again for the groups, but even that isn't worth it to me now.

TBH this new pricing and changes to premium gives me way more incentive to scale down completely and actually lose most of the rented land i have. That would save me cash, but also none of that money would end up in LL pockets as most of my expenditure is on land rental which does directly help LL.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
The increase in premium annual fee is not trivial. OK, they significantly kept it just below the $100.
If LL were to increase the L$300/week stipend to compensate I would be a lot happier.
The decrease in groups and offline IMs for basic is going to hurt too. Would it cause people to stop rather than incentivize them to upgrade to Premium?
Considering that, combined, all the changes are almost enough to make me consider up and leaving, including shutting down my mainland and my premium; because I cannot afford three more premiums for my business accounts? Its possible.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
These new features are not worth such a large increase in tier, 37.5% They'd need to give an additional free 512 for me to justify the expense.

Seven

SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-15-2010
I kept hoping they would add something actually useful to premium to make me want to upgrade. Except the new offline IMs and groups limitation might force me to go premium anyway because I run a shop.

I do appreciate that they are slowly tweaking these things and trying to bring the price of land down. Yet the price of land is still ridiculous for a virtual world that is what? Sixteen years old at this point? That's ancient by software standards.

PandoraB

w00t my anual renewal is for june 14th, pfew. I will take a look next year if its still worth it for the increased price.

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I don't understand the renewal statement. My renewal is in early February. Is my only option the higher fee February, 2020; or can I pay the current fee before the end of June and be renewed through February 2021?

Spirits Rising

Voice of Reason/Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
Yeah, I was gonna ask does anyone know what %/number of premiums are that old. I joined in 06 and I'm on 300L a week.
You joined after they reduced the Stipend for Premium members. L$400 Stipends had a cutoff join date of October 31st, 2006.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink

PandoraB

I believe they offer the option to renew for another year before the changes are coming into effect (june 24th), so you can renew then for another year wich will be added to what you already have for a subscription. So for example you're anual renewal is feb 2020, you can then add another year before june 24th, that way you still pay the old price, and only have to pay the new price feb 2021. (1 year on top of the year you already had renewed in feb)

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I believe they offer the option to renew for another year before the changes are coming into effect (june 24th), so you can renew then for another year wich will be added to what you already have for a subscription. So for example you're anual renewal is feb 2020, you can then add another year before june 24th, that way you still pay the old price, and only have to pay the new price june 2020.
and they'll keep the change. :rolleyes: Thanks for the reply PandoraB.

PandoraB

and they'll keep the change. :rolleyes: Thanks for the reply PandoraB.
Sorry I corrected it, but you keep the change "while annual members may renew (or monthly users may upgrade to annual) early to add one more year to your existing Membership at the current lower rate. ".

So the year will be added on top of your excisting subscription. I do wonder how many years I can add.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
That new Premium pricing....

I may drop all my alts...
I am down to just my grandfathered 500 L/wk account. They have now gone beyond the tipping point where they paid me to maintain an account so I need to find out if anyone else will take over my plot.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
As it is oldbie premium accounts 500L$ stipend costs them money, and will STILL cost them money even with the higher rate.
Are you factoring in the cost of the land? Last I knew it was around 300 L per USD so even at 500 LL is making more by raising it to 99.

Sid

Today I might do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I feel sorry for free basic accounts who will now see their group limits reduced down.

Why can't the lab just leave it as it was.
Do they care?
Do they know?
Are they competent enough?
I guess all answers are no.

It seems they need money.
And we are expected to be the fools to hand it over to them.

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Thank You PandoraB for clarifying your answer. I'll probably purchase an extra year at $72 and debate continuing in 2021 if Second Life is still available then. This is the first time since Life Accounts were sold that I've considered LL desperate for money. Then it was a request for angel money and the rewards, if The Grid All Hail The Central Grid was successfully developed, were substantial. Now they appear to be throwing tiny bandages at gaping financial losses. Hope I'm wrong.

Adeon Writer

Dang. I was considering just leaving my annual premium fees happen year after year even though I play maybe 5 times a year, but if they are going to hike the price I have to consider if it’s worth it just to keep a Linden home

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kara Spengler