Pico de Gallo (nacho dip)

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
If you like snacking on nacho chips while watching movies or binge-watching "The Expanse", you'll like this dip.

Ingredients:
  • 500g tomatoes, halved
  • 200g bell peppers (I use sweet pointed peppers)
  • 1 red onion, quartered
  • 1 garlic bulb
  • chillies, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 25ml tequila
  • 1 dash of sherry vinegar
  • 15g of fresh coriander (cilantro)
  • juice of 1 lime
For processing:
  • food processor / multi mixer
  • 2 or 3 200ml canning jars
I usually use one habanero, one jalapeno and three spanish peppers as chillies because that's how they're sold in the supermarket and because I like the heat. You can tone it down by leaving out the habanero, if you like. Traditionally, serrano peppers are used.

Remove the green bits from the tomatoes and put them on a baking tray. Sprinkle the sugar and the salt over them.

Score the skin of the chillies and the sweet peppers, then add them, the red onion and the garlic to the tray and let everything roast in an oven at 180° C / 350° F. You don't need to peel the garlic bulb.

After 45 minutes or when everything is heavily blackened, take the tray out of the oven. While the vegetables cool down, wash the coriander and chop it. Using the leaves only should be enough, but ythe stems are edible as well and you can add some of them in if you prefer.

The flesh of the tomatoes and the chilies will come right out of their skins if you've cooked them long enough. So you can remove the skin if you like, but it's not necessary. Deseed the chilies and sweet peppers, though.

The garlic bulb should be really soft now, so you can cut it in half and squeeze the flesh out of it.

Now put everything into the food processor, chop it up nicely and you're done.

You should end up with 400 - 600 ml of salsa. If you want to shelve it, you can fill it into canning jars. The tequila, sugar, lime juice and vinegar makes it stay fresh for a couple of weeks, especially if you also store it in a fridge. Just heat the filled jars up in a microwave oven before you screw the lids on. 45-60 seconds at 1000 Watts should be enough to create a vacuum seal.

Last edited:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Why in Gods' names would you cook and skin the vegetables for Pico de Gilllo? Do you hate life so much? And a food processor? This isn't soup.

Take your tomatoes, peppers, onion, and cilantro and finely dice everything. Toss with salt and lime juice. You can add more cayenne. Not sure what the FSM the vinegar and sugar are doing in there.

If you use parsley instead of cilantro, lemon instead of lime, and leave out the heat you have a Mediterranean salad.

• 1Love
Reactions: Brenda Archer

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
The sugar brings out the taste of the tomatoes, this is especially helpful if you can only get the ones from supermarkets that don't have much flavour. If you have home-grown ones that don't need that, just leave it away. The sugar and vinegar also improve the storage life of the salsa, which is important to me since I like to make big batches and can the sauce.

But you're right that's not really 'fresh'.

Roasting the vegetables softens them up and makes them more digestible, especially the Spanish peppers, which tend to have a pretty leathery skin.

Multimixers just chop the vegetables, at least mine does. It's blenders that make a really fine puree that you can use for soup. You can of course just use a knife, but the multimixer really is faster.

Last edited:
  • 1Useful
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I think the variance here is in definition. That might be a country thing? Here, that would be called salsa vs pico de gallo. Interesting that it has tequila, heh.

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Pico de Gallo is a salsa. But not every salsa is Pico de Guillo.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
Salsa is simply the Spanish word for sauce.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Yes, I know. I was thinking maybe more colloquially in your area. Anyhow, like you when I've made salsa, typically I do cook it whereas when I make pico I use entirely raw ingredients.

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Yes. But Pico de Gilllo is A sause. Not EVERY sauce. You wouldn't call gravy Pico de Gallo.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Salsa fight in the recipe forum. :p

Seriously, though, there is only one recipe in this forum so far, so we could always just all post our own versions and this week-end try them all. It will be forever known as VirtualVerse's Grand Opening Nacho 'Eat Me My Sauce Is the Best' Week-end.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
I think the variance here is in definition. That might be a country thing? Here, that would be called salsa vs pico de gallo. Interesting that it has tequila, heh.
There's a variation of the recipe that uses 2 ancho chillies, 6 habaneros, 20 bird's eye chillies and 10 scotch bonnets instead of the chillies and sweet peppers. That's where the tequila comes from.

That sauce goes into my blender and I'm rather careful about using it. One teaspoon of that stuff is enough to spice up any food.

I think I even posted that recipe on SLU and forgot about it.

My country would be Germany, BTW. Salsa is really not much of a thing over here, my cooking is entirely based on hunger and cultural appropriation.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
There's a variation of the recipe that uses 2 ancho chillies, 6 habaneros, 20 bird's eye chillies and 10 scotch bonnets instead of the chillies and sweet peppers. That's where the tequila comes from.

That sauce goes into my blender and I'm rather careful about using it. One teaspoon of that stuff is enough to spice up any food.

My country would be Germany, BTW. Salsa is really not much of a thing over here, my cooking is entirely based on hunger and cultural appropriation.
Regardless of what it is called. your recipe sounds yummy. Your roasting of the veggies is certain to make it extra delicious.

SL Rez
SLU Posts

Pain - SLUniverse Forums

• 1Like
Reactions: detrius

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
that's the one