Philip Rosedale pops into Second Life for a visit...

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I remember a time like three or four years ago, Phillip came in for one of these chats. It took place at the Burn2 estate, and Phillip didn't know how to use the then-new SL viewer and couldn't get voice working, so we told him where to get Firestorm and the fireside was a success. Not a joke!

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Hey, what a coincidence!
The Nagy popped up to visit SL yesterday too.
No announcements though.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
So, Philip Rosedale pops into Second Life for a visit?
He's been visiting several times recently. Maybe we should AR him for impersonating a Linden? :p

What is interesting, is that it started right after High FIdelity ... ummm ... "reorganized".

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
He's been visiting several times recently. Maybe we should AR him for impersonating a Linden? :p

What is interesting, is that it started right after High FIdelity ... ummm ... "reorganized".
Yes, I thought that was interesting too. Maybe he's feeling nostalgic for a successful virtual world?

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
I had an email exchange with him a few years back, closets I've ever gotten to talk to him.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I haven't met a Linden inworld in all those years. And I really don't mind.
Their task is to run the show and my pleasure is to enjoy it (and blame them when they mess up and produce crap).

Benjamin Opel

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
March, 2010
SLU Posts
Does Philip still own, or have any financial ties to Second Life? Does he still sit on the board?

I spoke to him once in High Fidelity - on voice, I said hello and made small talk, really nice guy. I was super nervous though! haha, not sure why. :ROFLMAO:

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Philip who...?
Philip Rosedale was the founder and first CEO of Linden Lab. He's a brilliant marketer and his skills selling the Second Life concept to investors and potential users was crucial for SL's success. To most old-time SL'ers he is Second Life personified.
Unforunately he and Cory Ondrejka, the mad genius programmer who deserves the main credit for actually creating SL, had a bit of an argument in 2007 and they both left within months. (Philip returned for a while when it turned out his replacement was absolutely hopeless.)

After he left LL for good, Rosedale tried to estbablish an UpWork clone and when that failed, he returned to virtual reality, founding High Fidelity. High Fidelity failed too recently and that makes it particularly interesting that he seems to have taken a new itnerest in SL.

Last edited:

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
he logged on as philip rosedale not philip linden, his account might have been downgraded
Oh, so we can't AR him them. :p

I checked and it turns out it's a fairly new account he created in 2013 after he left the lab.

Cory Ondrejka did actually change his account name that way before he left but he was in charge of the assets database and had his own special (not necessarily rational) reasons to do so.

Chin Rey Are you implying the current CEO should be worried? :kittyball:
No.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Philip Rosedale held during the good, old times now and then public meetings, where everybody could attend to. Those events were only being announced in his profile on short notice - either you had noticed and went there, or not.

This picture was done around in 2007 - he was quite busy playing with his flute. As you can see, he had Linden as surename back then. He had his agenda, the avatar was logged in by an employee of Linden Lab and stayed for around one hour, answered one question of every avatar and then left.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
From the limited interaction I've had with him, Phillip seems all right to me. I have him to thank for SL, which in turn has led me to meet many of what I consider to be my best friends, on SL and forums like this one that I'm only on because they are (or started as) SL forums.

At the fireside, Phillip made no secret of the fact that SL eventually evolved in a direction other than what he intended; but he didn't seem upset or disappointed about this in the least. Back then HiFi was still in its early or even planning stages, and his original plans for that, were to essentially turn it into what he'd originally hoped SL would become - a 3D meeting space, something to replace Ye Olde Conference Call first and foremost, with social functions mainly intended to allow the kind of socializing that's part of business-meeting. People showing off their new digital clothes and shoes, or "dancing" in clubs listening to music, or just sitting around on chairs and talking about nothing in particular - my impression is that these things weren't really part of Phillip's "vision". I don't think he's sore about that per se, it's just that he really really likes his vision, and still wants to see it come to fruition as he envisioned it. I wonder if, like happened with SL, over time the usership of HiFi might be trying to create a momentum toward making the social functions the core point of HiFi instead of just a necessary functional mechanic, and I wonder how he feels about that, and how that may or may not have informed decisions like the one to close the dev-hosted public spaces.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Back then HiFi was still in its early or even planning stages, and his original plans for that, were to essentially turn it into what he'd originally hoped SL would become - a 3D meeting space, something to replace Ye Olde Conference Call first and foremost, with social functions mainly intended to allow the kind of socializing that's part of business-meeting.
Time for some serious nostalgia for the old-timers:
and

I don't think it would have taken much changes for this aspect of SL to have worked and an it's a shame it didn't.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer