Philip Rosedale Announces Major Changes to the High Fidelity Platform: “This model is not working right now”

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
They're trying to build the fantasy of a "SRS BIZNS Second Life" like Linden Lab wanted to have around 2007 or so. Also Blue Mars and all the other SRS BIZNS virtual environments.

The market they're looking for didn't exist then and it's even less likely to exist when you have to get a $400 headset and a $1000 gaming PC to get your toes wet. Connecting people is the killer application.

Then there’s everything else where you can walk and turn with the analog sticks. These have the chance to make people ill if they aren’t used to these kind of things becasue at first it will feel like the world is moving. Eventually your brain stops freaking out but it’s not a good first experience for some people.
This seems mostly to be a problem with games that perform smooth turns, because the human visual system is not designed to deal with smooth turns. When you turn your head or body your eye snaps from point to point in what are called "saccades", and the visual system actually cuts off during a saccade.

I get sick with smooth turns in games whether they're 2d or 3d. It's not something I can get used to, it's been a problem for me for 30 years since 3d got realistic enough to fool my visual system.

I am super interested in Neos, it looks really cool, I just haven't ever been able to find anyone online when I can get online.

• 1Interesting
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid and Brenda Archer

8bit Biologist

I believe it's been too much focus on making it pretty, and not enough into making it user friendly, and useful. Sansar is all pretty. But not much you can do.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Argent is right. They want the "Business" side of the market but not the "kooky shady live out your dream fetish" side of the market.

Except a 3D environment does nothing for businesses that a nice web page can't do better. It's less accessible, it's clunky to use, it adds no functionality aside from a mild passing "wow factor". It also probably costs 10-20x of a nice webpage in the end.

Adeon Writer

This seems mostly to be a problem with games that perform smooth turns, because the human visual system is not designed to deal with smooth turns. When you turn your head or body your eye snaps from point to point in what are called "saccades", and the visual system actually cuts off during a saccade.

I get sick with smooth turns in games whether they're 2d or 3d. It's not something I can get used to, it's been a problem for me for 30 years since 3d got realistic enough to fool my visual system.
Some games/platforms solve this with optional “snap turning” where left/right just instantly rotates you in 1/12 of a circle increments every time you push the analog sideways and return it (no auto-repeat). For smaller or larger turns you just turn in real life, which is fine.
I am super interested in Neos, it looks really cool, I just haven't ever been able to find anyone online when I can get online.
It’s really too early for NeosVR. I was given a guided tour by the lead dev but they aren’t focusing end user interface yet it’s all placeholder still. Very rough but the platform looks super promising.

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I really like the idea of the NeosVR interface where you're holding virtual controllers to match your physical controllers with feedback information on them, though the actual details of those virtual controllers are kind of counterintuitive for me. Particularly the "shoot your controller with the other controller to turn stuff off and on" bit.

Also, no ferrets.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
But where do I get one?

Wildefire Walcott

God forbid High Fidelity should have anything in common with the only successful social VR app. :rolleyes:

Can any of these headsets be used with a PC just for normal work, say so I can work on a script with the PC closed or on one side with just the goggles, a mouse, and a separate keyboard?
The PC-based headsets (Rift, Vive) have a few options for this. My favorite is Virtual Desktop. It just places whatever's displayed on your PC's desktop on a "physical" screen in a virtual environment. So you get a 2D screen in a 3D environment, and there are tons of really cool "rooms" you can drop your screen into.

We have wireless keyboards with built-in touchpads for Rift use. Even though I'm a touch-typist (don't need to see the keys), using the keyboard can be a pain when it's sitting on your lap, so I'm not sure it's practical for day-to-day use, but it can be fun. Another app, BigScreen has the same idea as Virtual Desktop, with the added bonus that you can invite other people to join you to look at what's on your computer. They'll be like sitting in the next seat of a movie theater, or right next to you on a couch. Great for watching movies/videos together (and to-date, not policed for rights violations, making it a fun movie night option).

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
It’s really too early for NeosVR. I was given a guided tour by the lead dev but they aren’t focusing end user interface yet it’s all placeholder still. Very rough but the platform looks super promising.
Well shoot, it kinda needs to hurry up.

I'm perfectly willing to forgive Sansar or HiFI** for not being Second Life 2, and not WANTING to be Second Life 2, and am willing to enjoy them for what they are. But, y'know, I really want somebody to make a Second Life 2 already.

** Well Sansar at least. I haven't ever tried HiFi, and with their shutdown of the public sims I'm not sure how I'm even supposed to do that, since the only option now is to hang out on somebody's private server? I guess? Which as a noob would just feel awkward.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
They're called domains.

There's a bunch of private-server public domains that are basically hangouts.

Adeon Writer

Yeah HF wants to be 3D websites. No central asset server, just protocol. Also as far as I can tell, no in-world collaborative building. That’s the big thing I want. That’s why I wish NeosVR had all VRChat’s users.

But for now. I will be where the people are. All my friends moved to VRC, so that’s where I am too.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer