People who won't give up floppy disks

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
Whenever I hear about this, it seems weird.

Not that there are still ancient systems using them.

But because it feels like by now someone would have invented some kind of adaptor device for modern storage. Like those old Cassette adapters for cars, but for USB drives.

Maybe stick some kind of micro controller in to detect the read write spins in the little "disk" and rapid output the data as if it's a floppy.
I use this one. =^-^=
Amazon link >> Amazon.com

• 1Useful
Reactions: Kokoro Fasching

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
I bought a usb floppy drive last fall and a few floppies (unopened, around $20 or so for like 10, I think?). I assumed there would be a way to plug them into 86box ala virtualbox ...but there isn't. :|

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I bought a usb floppy drive last fall and a few floppies (unopened, around $20 or so for like 10, I think?). I assumed there would be a way to plug them into 86box ala virtualbox ...but there isn't. :|
You could always make img files of the physical disks and then mount them.

• 1Like
Reactions: Monica Dream

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
You could always make img files of the physical disks and then mount them.
Yes, and of course I do. But it would have been need to try tinkering with some low-level shit ("how to bootstrap in 512k of assembly") someday with actual hardware. I think I could still do it with Virtualbox, but Virtualbox isn't an emulator and doesn't accurately create any specific machine. 86box does, albeit only machines from the late 90's and earlier (the 8088 in 78 up and forward to 99 or so).

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Yes, and of course I do. But it would have been need to try tinkering with some low-level shit ("how to bootstrap in 512k of assembly") someday with actual hardware. I think I could still do it with Virtualbox, but Virtualbox isn't an emulator and doesn't accurately create any specific machine. 86box does, albeit only machines from the late 90's and earlier (the 8088 in 78 up and forward to 99 or so).
FreeDOS running under Qemu? Maybe even DOSbox would work.

• 1Useful

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
FreeDOS running under Qemu? Maybe even DOSbox would work.
These days, I'd just stick with MS DOS. It's open source, after all! One of these days I'm gonna finish my project of pulling in needed apps from FreeDOS to fill the gaps on DOS 4.0 (e.g. Edit).

DOSBox-X rocks, especially on windows where it's tied in to windows explorer. That's definitely a viable (dos) dev enviroment, at least for simple stuff (probably for complex stuff too -but I haven't tried).

To go back full-circle; I suspect you could set a usb/floppy as "a" in DOSBox-X, though I haven't tried. Now I'm on Linux (because FUCK RECALL[1]) and not intending on going back (screen tearing or no) I won't be finding out.

[1]
Windows Recall demands an extraordinary level of trust that Microsoft hasn’t earned

A PR disaster: Microsoft has lost trust with its users, and Windows Recall is the straw that broke the camel's back

• 1Hug
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Time to hit up eBay, though I feel like shipping for old PC hardware would be huge. Old PCs weighed a lot.

• 1Like

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Get an old laptop? Early thinkpad?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Kinda reminds me of that one early Blackberry that had a teeny trackball in the middle of the thumb-keyboard that had a habit of popping out and getting lost. ^^

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Just had a call from someone whose been running a "repair" on a thumb drive all morning wanting to know how much longer they should expect it to take. Heat death of the universe seemed a little daunting to them though it's likely not long enough. Of course they (don't) have those critically important files backed up somewhere.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
I remember playing all those games on my C64 a long time ago, especially the load times. Using floppy disks was a huge improvement over tapes, though.

This one was one of my favourites:

(The actual gameplay footage starts at 16:55)

The downside of many of those games was that they didn't have a save function, so you had to play from start to the end.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Rendezvous with Rama was my favourite. My64 only ever had a tape drive. But my IIe had two (2), count them TWO1, disk drives and it was pure Heaven it was.

Edit: specified “my” computers, rather than a generic “the,” because the original format was not true as stated.

Last edited:
  • 1Disagree
Reactions: Caete

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
The 1541 has its own 6502 and you could download programs to it to do things like copying floppies from one drive to another without going through the main computer. Which was a good thing because the connection to the 1541 was via a really slow serial bus, slower than the none-too-fast floppy mechanism itself, so this almost doubled the speed of copies.

The Apple II floppy, on the other hand, was really fast because the bits went directly to the Apple II without any processing. The bit timing and sector decoding was handled by the Apple II itself.

Both of these approaches allowed for some wicked copy protection mechanisms.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale