• 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
[URL]https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/21/21230290/patreon-laid-off-layoffs-13-percent-staff-workforce [/url]

They have 50,000 new artists onboard but are having to lay off thirty staff members because the patrons are canceling due to currently earning lower or no income. It's sad that online platforms are available for artists to earn money during the crisis but fans can't afford to fund them anyway. The damage of not being able to gather is far reaching.
This is why I'm not trying to put my art out there, because more important things for too many folks, and I don't -need- to sell things.

PeterMorgan

Patreon laid off 30 employees, or 13 percent of its staff, due to economic hardship caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. This news I remember. "It's unclear how long this economic uncertainty will last, and so to prepare accordingly, we made the difficult decision to part with 13 percent of Patreon's workforce," said a Patreon representative at the time. I remember downloading a couple of cool p2p apps at the time and sitting in them quite a bit. And the news popped up on my smartphone at the time about these layoffs, and I thought at the time. If they're having problems because of the pandemic, what can we say about the rest of the world, where there are much bigger problems.

Last edited:

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Patreon laid off another thirty-six people April of last year despite raising $155M in a recent funding campaign. They also changed their mechanism to allow artist a higher percentage of income than most other content hosting agencies. A public offering has been discussed but has not been forthcoming. PeterMorgan seems more bot-like than personable. END OF LINE

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
This article is two years old. Any useful updates to offer?
Canned ham detector is getting close to the red.

FUTURE EDIT: Nope, gone way into the red now...

Last edited:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Canned ham detector is getting close to the red.
Maybe they just got so depressed about learning of their layoff from Patreon when they recovered the data from their iPhone that they are doing some binge shopping to feel better?

• 1Interesting
  • 1Creative
Reactions: Free and Essence Lumin

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Given the hype around NFT's, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to imagine that some artists are switching to a 'sell it once for more' model instead of crowd subscriber income.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Given the hype around NFT's, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to imagine that some artists are switching to a 'sell it once for more' model instead of crowd subscriber income.
...really think many would do that? I doubt that is more profitable than crowd funding. I see people making fun of NFT's a lot more than advocating for them. All of the artists and developers I follow have scorned them.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Are NFTs still a thing? It seemed like everyone was super hype for like two weeks, everyone made fun of it, then nothing.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Are NFTs still a thing?
Has to be, since the first page of results on a Google news search of NTFs only has one link that's over a day old.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SHUT.THE.FRONT.DOOR1

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
...really think many would do that? I doubt that is more profitable than crowd funding. I see people making fun of NFT's a lot more than advocating for them. All of the artists and developers I follow have scorned them.
As they should. The whole notion is absurd.

But being a creative type doesn't automatically mean a person has good business sense. I've no doubt that there's some out there shrewdly trying to scam gullible marks by selling their knock-offs as NFTs... and perhaps enough gullible marks to keep them fishing or bites.

I mean seriously, even telemarketers keep trying, and their success ratio has got to be pretty dismal, right?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
As they should. The whole notion is absurd.

But being a creative type doesn't automatically mean a person has good business sense. I've no doubt that there's some out there shrewdly trying to scam gullible marks by selling their knock-offs as NFTs... and perhaps enough gullible marks to keep them fishing or bites.

I mean seriously, even telemarketers keep trying, and their success ratio has got to be pretty dismal, right?
Honestly, in my experience, most creatives have negative talent in business [myself included].

-----------------

Also, as I understand it, NFTs aren't really a one and done, because the art is just a reciept [not that I understand NFTs, but apparently, its sort of like selling a unique custom item in SL - you still have the actual original files, and the intellectual rights, and can just modify it ans sell it again.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Honestly, in my experience, most creatives have negative talent in business [myself included].

-----------------
This seems absolutely true. Most creatives just want to create and want the need to deal with business to fuck right off.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin