WTF Over The Top Scams by Scamming Scammers

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm starting a thread because I'm curious about what scams people in SLUV may have run into, that come really close to appearing real.

I received one today. I got a USPS "certified letter" and it contained a very official looking PayPal "credit card statement". The only problem? We don't have a PayPal credit card. The first thing I though was yikes, someone has stolen my husbands personal information and opened a credit card with it. This would be difficult though because we have all the credit check agencies locked down and we'd have to go in and approve someone accessing our financial information before they could do a credit check.

We checked online with USPS and the statement really was sent via US Certified mail. There were very official looking "833" area code numbers for us to call for any "problems" which I looked up and they appear to be bogus (any numbers beginning with "833" are notorious for being scams). The other fly in the ointment was that they used a comma after the first number of the total owed (4,65.00). Real credit card companies don't generally make these errors.

Looking online, it looks like others have been hit with this same scam and after they received the statement in the mail, they started receiving phone calls demanding payment. So... watch out for those 833-XXX-XXXX numbers because 99% of the time they are scams. Block them.

Look at things carefully that you get in the mail because, chances are, it's just a scam to collect your personal banking and SS# information. I can't believe the crap I get in the mail that tries to disguise it's self as "official medicare" business. It's insane.

Check everything because these scamming scammers are getting better at parting more people from their hard earned money.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I've noticed an uptick in fake package delivery notices in my email lately. So far Medicare scams are still just using the phone and they are relentless, at least one a day.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
My biggest peeve are still the calls about Windows.
People with a bad Indian accent trying to convince me that they are calling for my windows.

I always patiently explain that my windows are already renovated recently.
Most of the times that is too far for their script roads.

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Back in the oughts, somewhen around then, I got so many credible but fake domain registrar "renewals" that were actually transfers, including one from the company that had been the only official domain registrar until a few months previously and were apparently desperate to retain the flood of domains fleeing their horrible incompetent overpriced monopoly "service".

• 1Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Psst. I can organize some nice Sidcoins for you. You can buy all the great bridges of NYC with them!

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Luckily I don't get a lot of sophisticated scams; I do get the "we're closing your Netflix account" or "this is your bank please contact us" emails but they're usually just the badly-mistyped letter kind rather than the legitimately well-made phishing attempt kind.

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan