Sunshine Carami

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 21, 2018
Infiniti Grid, Discovery Grid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2008
SLU Posts
The grids I'm actively in have presences in MeWee and Discord.

Han Held

I am the Queen of France, completely
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Anchorage
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
I've heard rumours (but haven't been able to confirm) that Mewe was started to give right-wingers a place to right wing but now it's trying to mainstream.

Shrugs

Any way you slice it, Mewe's a bit of a mess; at least in my opinion. Also you have to be logged in to see anything there.

A bunch of folks are trying out "federated social media", primarily "Friendica". Shelenn Ayres, of the organization "IMA" did a good write-up on it in opensim virtual in this post.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around installing it so I haven't gotten on it yet, but there's a lot to like about it. It's connected to several different open source networks such as Diasporia and GNU Social; so if one goes down, you can transfer your posts, friends, etc (presumably).

Val

n00b!1
Sep 21, 2018
Glasgow
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
Heard good about Diaspora but never seen ... anyone link to their profile, just say they like their website policy or company idea so not sure how 'sociable' it is. Amino is quite popular but it is mostly connected to message boards as far as I seen (it confuses me and I have to understand it for marketing ugh...).

Sep 26, 2018
Heard good about Diaspora but never seen ... anyone link to their profile, just say they like their website policy or company idea so not sure how 'sociable' it is. Amino is quite popular but it is mostly connected to message boards as far as I seen (it confuses me and I have to understand it for marketing ugh...).
Believe me when I tell this: Diaspora is dead. It is an old project, which just accidentelly got some press in around 2010 when it was founded, because it gained its funding goal back then on Kickstarter really fast, and Kickstarter back then was all new and that's what the buzz went all about.

It was being written back then in the hype of the month thingie back then, so Ruby on Rails, MongoDB, a pain to install, nobody used it back then, almost nobody uses it today, it's still being developed though but a niche product, nothing more. Friendica is far more easier installed and progressed than Diaspora, but also most just use it as some kind of connect to other networks thingie, and that's it. Not that it is a bad project at all, it isn't.

The only development of the last few years, which really gained some momentum was an opensource Twitter clone called Mastodon. Althouth not as big as Twitter, the estimated userbase is still around 1-2 millions, which is not too bad for it being two years old.

Kizz

Nov 7, 2018
MeWe has been alright, I've started to find a lot of people from G+ over there. And just about anything is better than Discord. LOL

Han Held

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Anchorage
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
MeWe has been alright, I've started to find a lot of people from G+ over there. And just about anything is better than Discord. LOL
Funny, I cancelled my Mewe ...even before I heard that it was originally intended as a facebook alternative safe-space for alt-righties ...because it's cluttered trash.

Discord's only problem is that it's a closed ecosystem that is sucking the oxygen out of the room for open protocols like IRC.

Sooner or later that's going to bite everyone on the ass; probably the minute there's no viable competition.

Kizz

Nov 7, 2018
Funny, I cancelled my Mewe ...even before I heard that it was originally intended as a facebook alternative safe-space for alt-righties ...because it's cluttered trash.

Discord's only problem is that it's a closed ecosystem that is sucking the oxygen out of the room for open protocols like IRC.

Sooner or later that's going to bite everyone on the ass; probably the minute there's no viable competition.
I haven't gotten bombarded with any alt-right-tilting anything like I did when I unfortunately tried Gab, or like Minds which is totally an alt-right haven that you can't stop boosted Nazi-praising posts from being in your news feed unless you pay them money. So when people say that MeWe is the same way, and I haven't experienced it, I don't know what to say.

Gab and Minds are trash, utter trash. I'm guessing Minds will be taken down next after Gab was. I was utterly appalled at what I was seeing there.

Han Held

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Anchorage
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
I haven't gotten bombarded with any alt-right-tilting anything like I did when I unfortunately tried Gab, or like Minds which is totally an alt-right haven that you can't stop boosted Nazi-praising posts from being in your news feed unless you pay them money. So when people say that MeWe is the same way, and I haven't experienced it, I don't know what to say.
I think Mewe has made a push to be mainstream, so maybe they've changed goals, or maybe the alt-right thing was BS. I don't know; it's something I'd be aware of there.

To be fair, nazis are gonna be a problem on any alt-social media outlet.

On a pratical level I strongly dislike mewe. It's cluttered and disorganized and seems to have the worst features of facebook. It's a closed solution and for myself I'd rather find something open (like friendica) although that's gonna take me a while to wrap my mind around it (installing, securing, using).

In the meantime, I use Discord and it suits my needs even if it is closed.

Nov 7, 2018
  • Kizz

Kizz

I think Mewe has made a push to be mainstream, so maybe they've changed goals, or maybe the alt-right thing was BS. I don't know; it's something I'd be aware of there.

To be fair, nazis are gonna be a problem on any alt-social media outlet.

On a pratical level I strongly dislike mewe. It's cluttered and disorganized and seems to have the worst features of facebook. It's a closed solution and for myself I'd rather find something open (like friendica) although that's gonna take me a while to wrap my mind around it (installing, securing, using).

In the meantime, I use Discord and it suits my needs even if it is closed.
Yeah, my main issue with MeWe is that it's not showing posts chronologically. It's a serious beef. What in the world are they using as a metric for what's supposed to be "important"?