One AO to Rule Them All?

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
Oct 29, 2018
SL, Kitely, IMVU
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
I use bento hands/head, Fate mesh eyes and then the firestorm built-in AO to control walking, flying etc...and I have my head gestures like talking activated. But my bento parts keep cycling the facial expressions I set up and my hand gestures and eye movements continue.
I set everything in motion and completely detach all my head/eye/hands/body HUDs. Or am I missing something?
Sometimes I have to restart my hands via the animation HUD after a relog or crash but that’s it.

Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
I use bento hands/head, Fate mesh eyes and then the firestorm built-in AO to control walking, flying etc...and I have my head gestures like talking activated. But my bento parts keep cycling the facial expressions I set up and my hand gestures and eye movements continue.
I set everything in motion and completely detach all my head/eye/hands/body HUDs. Or am I missing something?
Sometimes I have to restart my hands via the animation HUD after a relog or crash but that’s it.
There are probably multiple animations fighting for control of various parts.

If you have two animations trying to animate the same part of your body, here is how it gets resolved: If one animation has a higher priority, it wins and controls that part of your body; but if both animations have equal priority, the most recently started animation plays.

So maybe your stand animation includes facial animations, and you have facial animations in an expression HUD, and all the animations are at priority 5. You turn on your AO first and it controls your face; then you turn on your expression HUD, and it controls your face. But then in 30 seconds, your AO cycles its stand animation, now it's most recent, and its back in control. Then your expression HUD cycles and it's back in control. And so on and so on.

The animation priority system was well conceived to allow layering of animations. Unfortunately, it only works if creators are sensible about setting the priorities of their animations. Most creators don't understand or don't care, and just set the highest priority.

Oct 29, 2018
You might be missing something else anyway, especially with hands, since it's common (for male bodies, at least).

Since animations are rendered by the viewer, a viewer will only see animations it knows about. Viewers communicate to each other through the simulator, not directly to each other. Other viewers will see your animations only if your viewer tells the simulator first, so it can be relayed to all viewers on the region. This is why you have option to play animations locally or inworld if you play one from your inventory.

You might want to log in an alt placed in a different region to see the animations when your avatar teleports in without huds on. It is possible you are the only one seeing some of them after teleporting if your viewer doesn't send the animation information to the new sim.

sldenizen

Oct 10, 2018
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I had no idea about any of this. All I use is the Firestorm client-side AO. I put a bunch of animations into there and that was it. Now I have to look at my hands.

One of my avatars has a system tail and wings, which seem to have their own animations. The tail moves naturally when the avatar moves. The wings -- more like little bat winglets -- kind of wobble. I'm sort of looking for mesh tails and wings, so I'll try to be aware of the AO issue.

Sep 19, 2018
NJ suburb of Philly
SL Rez
SLU Posts
This thread is one reason I hesitate to come back into SL. I have my body and clothing from before mesh was even introduced to SL. I don't really know what you're all talking about. Do I have to learn about all this stuff to avoid being looked at like I'm some ancient antique?

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
Oct 29, 2018
SL, Kitely, IMVU
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
This thread is one reason I hesitate to come back into SL. I have my body and clothing from before mesh was even introduced to SL. I don't really know what you're all talking about. Do I have to learn about all this stuff to avoid being looked at like I'm some ancient antique?
Yes and no, Essence Lumin because it depends on what your focus is.
The only times I've seen people get openly judgey (unless they are just dicks) is when
the 'anti-mesh' people beat their hostility drum, "Classic is good enough and y'all are ruining SL with your new-fangled stuff", or the 'mesh-heads' get dismissive and sing their "all that stuff from the olden days is sooooo datedddd" song.
Both are just dumb forms of intolerance sparked by insecurity and defensiveness, IMO.

Now that said, radical fashionistas and some people who fancy themselves early adoptors of the new and newer...well those types have always been judgey of everyone and everything and nothing has changed there...so they may do that, but they do it to everyone not wearing the latest gear from the most recent event up to and including pretending to some sort of elite and elevated aesthetic preferences because they 'won't wear templates and prefer original creations', and look aside at those who don't...even though they look like a cookie cutter clone of everyone else who just blogged the most recent event...and can barely texture a cube themselves if their life depended on it much less make anything...which I tend to find privately amusing.
Others collect mesh heads like some virtual Princess Langwidere, or delight in outfitting an army of various alts in the endless varieties of different mesh parts, often chasing limited time deals and freebies until it seems to consume a good part of their SL entire just keeping up.

But by and large, I don't see most people in most places I frequent caring that much. Faery Crossing is a delightful mix of old and new, so is New Babbage as are the folks at Burn2. Those communities seem to heavily look first at who you are as a person and your actions and behaviors to make their judgements. I'm sure there are more but those I have personal experience with. I'm guessing Caledon is still largely that way, Rosehaven too and Frank's. I'm sure others can chime in on this topic and name other places.

I wear my Classic body about 1/3 of the time, tbh, and I get as many fashion compliments in it as in full mesh and some of my strangest avatars like dolls and little cats (old and new things, mesh, sculpt, prim) get the most comments and compliments. But my biggest SL aim is to be my weirdly expressed virtual self-as-creative-art-form and I'm comfy in that. And I'm learning all the time, it's never too late to jump back in.

Please don't let anything intimidate or stop you...your world, your imagination...so please come back, figure out what YOU want to be, wear, do, buy...and find the people who appreciate you for you. 🦋🦋🦋

Last edited:

sldenizen

Oct 10, 2018
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There is a very nice explanation of how mesh works in Second Life on someone's blog, but I don't have the URL. I found it on sluniverse. Maybe it's in the mesh sub-forum. It's worth a read. Mesh is actually really easy to use.