One AO to Rule Them All?

Penny Patton

Graphical Moo
Sep 30, 2018
It occurred to me today that I am wearing Five AOs. Five.

Two for my Bento head.
One for my Bento hands.
One for my Bento tail.
And, of course, my regular walk/stand/sit/etc AO.

Has anyone made a low-script AO to handle all of the bento additions? Is it even possible given the variety of Bento features out there? I haven't even seen an AO for any one of these Bento features that allows you to add animations and create your own sets the way regular AOs do.

Sep 21, 2018
Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
Don't think of it as five AOs. Just think of it is one AO divided into five parts. Problem solved!

Sep 20, 2018
Darmstadt, Germany
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I don't know... I have ONE AO only that I'm currently using: The Vista Esther Bento AO. It is for my head and face, my hands, and my body - and it has some dance moves built-in, too.

Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
Basically, all an AO does is start/stop specific animations at specific times. The AO doesn't care which parts of you the animations are animating. ZHAO-II can play wing animations, tail animations, etc.

What ZHAO-II can't do (I think) is play multiple animations at once. I'm limited in my scripting ability, but I would think that ZHAO-II could be modified so that it would start/stop multiple animations at once.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
2? Is one to control the throbbing vein in your forehead?
She seems to have a furry av so I'm guessing one for the ears maybe?

Penny Patton

Graphical Moo
Sep 30, 2018
2? Is one to control the throbbing vein in your forehead?
One controls the eyes, since the anime head doesn't use attachments to the system eyes.
Don't think of it as five AOs. Just think of it is one AO divided into five parts. Problem solved!
I've seen enough Voltron to know that the five individual parts aren't as powerful until they combine.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
Sep 20, 2018
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
Because of the difficulty synching motion in various AOs is why I still prefer a flexi-tail. Animated bento tails have no regard for actual body motion. A full on bento with tail/wing/ear motion would be awesome.

Sep 20, 2018
RL: NZ / EVE: 1DQ1-A & Niarja / SL: Jessie
SL Rez
Basically, all an AO does is start/stop specific animations at specific times. The AO doesn't care which parts of you the animations are animating. ZHAO-II can play wing animations, tail animations, etc.

What ZHAO-II can't do (I think) is play multiple animations at once. I'm limited in my scripting ability, but I would think that ZHAO-II could be modified so that it would start/stop multiple animations at once.
Has that AO been rewritten in the last 5 years? If not, then I think modification would be trickier than expected.
Sometimes starting fresh is better, using the override functions in LSL (but re-using things like notecard import makes sense)

RodeejahUrquan

Demon in the streets and sheets
Sep 20, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Oh gods, I just realized this. Then again, I tend to have bento parts that have either built in animations or you click on them, set an animation and forget it. But yeah, I have one for my head, and the Maitreya hud at least has one built in for the hands...but when I'm using my anime body parts, the bento ao hud amount goes up D:

I think it depends on how many attachments you have on too. Like say I wanted to go full stereotypical demon. that's horns, wings, tail, plus mesh head and mesh body with hands. Already for the wings and tail that's two HUDs, one for the head, one for the hands and then the usual ZHAO for movement animations.

But since I hardly wear those, it's pretty much just at 3. It would be fun if everything could be settled into one animation HUD, tho.

Penny Patton

Graphical Moo
Sep 30, 2018
Yeah, it's not just the number of HUD attachments that bothers me, but the amount of scripts. I'm finding it harder and harder to keep my script use reasonable. Individually AOs these days don't tend to be too bad, but it adds up when you're wearing a different AO for every body part.

Speaking of, I should give the Firestorm AO another go. Last time I tried it I couldn't get it to work right. And I think it was limited to a single animation each for walk and run.

Last edited:

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Miami,FL
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
i didn't know there was an AO just for heads..i thought bento AO were all merged in one..

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
a sunburnt country
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Speaking of, I should give the Firestorm AO another go. Last time I tried it I couldn't get it to work right. And I think it was limited to a single animation each for walk and run.
I use the Firestorm AO for my day to day needs, I find it works fine. I don't know if it's 100% as responsive as a scripted AO, but it feels good enough. As far as limitations go, I believe it's the same as a ZHAO II in that regard. Multiple walks and runs are fine. Multiple jumps and similar are not (or whatever the hell animations it is you can't run multiple of).

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Animation override scripts are pretty easy to modify, you just need to copy/paste and edit a bit for each new attachment.

I think the problem may be that nearly all animations are written pre-bento, I doubt there are many walk animations which include tail and wing movements. Even if they did, they might make a bento attachment "move wrong" and not look right with certain attachments as the animations which are written for bento are likely written for a specific product and are not universal.

I think we might need "standard bento animations" in the same way there are "standard sizes", with universal adaptation by avatar makers.

RodeejahUrquan

Demon in the streets and sheets
Sep 20, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
i didn't know there was an AO just for heads..i thought bento AO were all merged in one..
Yeah, at least with Catwa heads and the new Bento Utilizator M4 head in particular. At least the latter as one AO for everything, but ffs, Catwa has one HUD for customization and one HUD for Bento facial expressions o_O

Sep 21, 2018
Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
I use the Firestorm AO for my day to day needs, I find it works fine. ...Multiple walks and runs are fine. Multiple jumps and similar are not (or whatever the hell animations it is you can't run multiple of).
I'm not aware of there being any animation type you can't have multiples of. I've got multiples in most of the slots, including multiple jumps. If you don't set the animations to cycle though, you might never see the others in use.

So on my AO I set jumps to cycle, so it uses a different jump animation each time I jump as it cycles to the next one.

Free

The Pie Whisperer
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Neuken, America
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
She seems to have a furry av so I'm guessing one for the ears maybe?

Calling Penny's avatar a furry is like referring to the Great Lakes as a water hazard.

Penny Patton

Graphical Moo
Sep 30, 2018
but ffs, Catwa has one HUD for customization and one HUD for Bento facial expressions o_O
I'd say that's a good thing. The M4 head I use has one single HUD, which means I need to have all of the scripts and textures for the customization features I barely use after setting my head up in the first place, just to access the facial expressions and eye position controls. I *want* a simplified HUD just for the feautres I use regularly.

Calling Penny's avatar a furry is like referring to the Great Lakes as a water hazard.
I guess? I think of it as an anime avatar, but it's a such a blurry line I tend to lump anime and furry avatars and their communities into a single broad category.

Sep 25, 2018
SL Rez
Agreed that Bento heads should have separate HUDs for animation and customization because the animation stuff needs to be around to keep moving facial features all the time, whereas the customization stuff is usually needed only briefly (mostly to save and import previous customizations after version updates).

Part of the complexity is that only some of the animation scripting involves overriding system animations; that's the trivial stuff that can be done by script or by viewer, doesn't really matter. The hard part is all the twitchy Bento facial stuff that's added on, for which there's no system anim to override. It might be nice if that were all controlled by a single script. That facial stuff could be combined with the true AO functionality, or not, again it doesn't much matter because they're generally triggered by different conditions.

Back in the old days, the built-in facial anims were often included as adjuncts to regular AO body animations. This has always been kludgy as hell, and with Bento they did nothing to expose to scripts those facial anim states, so it's all new kruft again. Head creators apparently decided it looked better to control their facial anims by HUD, totally asynchronous to whatever the body is doing. I don't know of complaints about that but to be honest I rarely see anybody even bothering to use the elaborate Bento face animation features despite having paid a king's ransom for heads with the capability. The anims are all inside the head HUDs, though, so could be grafted into body AOs if anybody cared.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Sep 20, 2018
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I stick with my tweaked Franimation overrider myself. I got it working just how I wanted it, and it's a single script with 16k usage.