Off World Second Life Communities

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I came across a Second Life Subreddit today

Second Life

Reasonably active and some of the threads reminded me of conversations we’ve had in SLU. I was going to post an invite to VVO but then I remembered my Reddit account is tied to my RL not my SL lol

It makes sense that there is a Second Life Sub, I might even have known about it previously but never really participated in it. Probably because I tended to use Forums mostly for Off World SL socializing.

I know Plurk has a huge SL contingent, and Twitter to a degree, but what else is out there?

Where do you go to discuss Second Life or socialize with SL residents outside of SL?

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
While the Second Life reddit isn't dead, it's still just barely active. Yes, there are regular posts, but they only occasionally turn into a discussion. When they do, by far the most common topic is "I'm new and don't know what to do."*

There are some active Discord servers, but of course, you'll generally need to find invites. Besides the VVO/SLU one, I'm in one for Bay City and a couple of "shooting the shit with friends" servers. From what I've heard, it's a not uncommon alt venue for SL people outside SL.

And then, of course, there's Facebook, the main Second Life groups there are pretty active. Of course, though, there's the whole having to log on to Facebook thing...

* - By the way, if you use Reddit Enhancement Suite, you can make switching between different accounts nearly seamless. Very useful for subreddits you don't want to be associated with your main account.

Plurabelle Laszlo

SL Rez
Joined SLU
A lot of roleplayers use Twitter and Discord not just to socialize, but also to RP when they can't log into SL, or as part of their urban RP (which isimpossible to moderate and causes endless drama, but people seem to enjoy it). There are also lots of creator and event groups on Discord. Apparently the SL-Instagram blogger community is growing, too, after Flickr changed their policies regarding free accounts.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Pancake

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
I'm in quite a few SL discords, most private... but I've also started a few, since most of us were using skype and it was being horrible/leaky we moved and so far discord has proven it's worth.