Nobody Virtually Really Cares

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Probably not wow enough for a thread but just in case it may interest some of you while you are self-isolating... if there was already a Nobody Cares thread here, apologies.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Dumdedumdum!

Oculus will soon require all of its virtual reality headset users to sign up with a Facebook account. The Facebook-owned company says it will start removing support for separate Oculus accounts in October, although users can maintain an existing account until January 1st, 2023. All users can maintain a distinct “VR profile” with a separate friends list.

Starting later this year, you’ll only be able to sign up for an Oculus account through Facebook. If you already have an account, you’ll be prompted to permanently merge your account. If you don’t, you’ll be able to use the headset normally until 2023, at which point official support will end.

• 1Facepalm
  • 1Screwdriver
Reactions: Govi and Beebo Brink

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
What's in a name?

Facebook’s annual Oculus Connect conference will be held online-only on September 16th — and it’s being rebranded as Facebook Connect, part of the social giant’s gradual assimilation of its virtual reality subsidiary.

Connect 2020 will be publicly streamed online, a change Facebook announced in April. Like the past few years’ events, it will cover a mix of virtual and augmented reality news from Facebook. But unlike previous years, it’s not being framed as a VR conference. Instead it’s the first outing for “Facebook Reality Labs,” a name that now covers all Facebook’s VR and AR efforts. That includes Oculus, which focuses on VR games and headsets; Spark AR, Facebook’s phone-based AR system; and the Portal videophone.

• 1Facepalm
Reactions: Govi

Adeon Writer

Yeah Oculus is pretty much dead to... pretty much everyone I know. I certainly won't be recommending their hardware anymore.

Which is unfortunate, someone else needs to swoop in and make a standalone headset so Facebook doesn't have a monopoly on it and become the Apple of VR.

• 1Like
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Textured Surface

Anyone who didn't see this coming when Facebook bought Oculus is blind and far too trusting.
I am patiently awaiting my Reverb G2 having sold my Rift-S directly due to this.
I was blind and far too trusting.

bubblesort

This is hilarious. Silicon valley people think VR is a utopia, and the big thing poor people in VR want is a home theater. Also, rich people won't use VR, because why would they want a virtual utopia when they already have a real one?

I don't think VR is going anywhere until these weirdo silicon valley money guys can understand the basic value propositions involved with VR. That involves at least a basic understanding how real people behave in VR.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
notbubblesort said:
I don't think SL is going anywhere until these weirdo LL guys can understand the basic value propositions involved with SL. That involves at least a basic understanding of how real people behave in SL.

sorry, couldn't resist, not sorry

Textured Surface

So, after all the problems with the ReverbG2, I cancelled my pre-order and ordered an Index. I've been using it for about a month now. It's freaking incredible. Like, mind blowingly so. As someone who was excited, but skeptical about it, I decided to make the jump and see for myself.
I like it. It's still a bit of a mess technologically. It's complicated to set up, tons of different settings that are fairly complicated and not-intuitive to your average non-tech person. Different games require playing with settings to get right. When things don't go right, it is not fun. In a game, I fell through the world, and went to my knees and almost threw up in the real world.

However, the sense of scale and presence is game changing.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
VR Fail videos are the new Parkour fails.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Is it the promised hit yet?

bubblesort

Koster is building a distributed metaverse type platform. I'm not sure how it will be different than other, similar platforms, but it's always interesting to see what Koster makes.

I don't see this kind of thing taking off, until we have the one feature you can't get outside OpenSim: I want to own my own server. Everything out there right now has some nice features, but they also want me to build on their servers, and that's ok, but I'm kinda tired of it. If I can't own my creations, I'll probably stick to SL. Moving to a new virtual world platform is too much work, unless I can own my work. OpenSim is nice in that regard, but it's too limited in other ways for me to live there. I just want a fun, reasonable quality virtual world platform that I own and moderate myself, without paying tier or answering to companies I don't like.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Khamon

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The future Zuckerberg went on to pitch was a delusional fever dream cribbed most obviously from dystopian science fiction and misleading or outright fabricated virtual reality product pitches from the last decade.
Or as some of us have experienced, almost the last two decades.

• 1Agree
Reactions: WolfEyes