Nobody Cares: Technology-only Edition

SL Rez
SLU Posts
The number of bytes per tweet might be hard to pin down. If ascii is assumed it would be 14 tweets - 2048 words of ram at 15 bits each / 280 characters per tweet. With utf8 at 4 bytes per character, it's 3 tweets.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Earlier today, Discord announced that it was looking for a buyer. There's speculation that the app might be worth literally billions.

Now according to Bloomberg, Microsoft is showing interest.

Discord is likely in talks with multiple companies about a possible deal, with reports suggesting a sale is still in its infancy stages meaning it could be a while before a deal is actually closed. There's no guaranteeing Microsoft would be the winning bid, but as our Senior Xbox Editor Jez Corden recently wrote, Microsoft can't let this one slip away, especially for its Xbox efforts.

Discord would be a valuable asset for Microsoft and Xbox. Discord is popular with PC gamers, with over 140 million active users. Assuming Microsoft did acquire Discord, it would likely treat the service like its LinkedIn or GitHub acquisitions, allowing Discord to continue operating on its own, but integrating Discord and Discord tech into other Microsoft products to enhance the Microsoft ecosystem as a whole.

For now, it's very early days and the deal could still go to a number of other companies, or Discord could ultimately decide to go public. But Microsoft could really use a consumer-facing chat platform that has actual users, unlike Microsoft Teams for Consumers or Skype which has seen usage decline significantly in recent years.

• 1Interesting
  • 1* Popcorn *
Reactions: Govi and Essence Lumin

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
They literally tell you this on the box. This is just the scam that is HP printer ink turned up to 11.
Hope HP receives enough of a customer relation shit storm that they abandon this tactic before the other printer manufactures decide it's OK to do similar. It's getting increasingly hard to find older printers that can be kept running (availability of parts mainly) AND that Windows will support.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
THAT is freaking BS. You cancel your subscription and suddenly you're prevented from using the ink you already physically possess?
Yes, they tell you explicitly that you don't own the ink you possess, you just have a license to use it.

It might as well be in the encyclopedia under "evil business schemes", but they don't hide it.

It's like the way IBM rented computers in the '60s.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yes, they tell you explicitly that you don't own the ink you possess, you just have a license to use it.

It might as well be in the encyclopedia under "evil business schemes", but they don't hide it.

It's like the way IBM rented computers in the '60s.
It's not illegal either, but I would support making that kind of arrangement illegal.

Gatekeeping software with a license, is fine, because that's practically the only way to do it. Not letting a person finish using a consumable like an ink cartridge that's going to deplete anyway? That's just stupid. You're already not sending them any more ink once they've canceled the sub.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Last I looked which was a long time ago Brother was the least evil printer company.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
My current printer is by a company I'd never heard of before called "Pantum". Laser printer for under $40? What could go wrong? I bought two, like 8 years ago, because I wanted a spare in case something did go wrong. Haven't cracked the second box.

I've bought one new toner cartridge in 8 years. I would have spent more than that, including the two printers, on ink in that time just from replacing clogged cartridges.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I used to want a separate printer, copier and scanner, all lined up on one long side of a L-shaped desk. I thought it would look cool.

If I had that now, they'd just collect dust.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Lexxi

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I used to want a separate printer, copier and scanner, all lined up on one long side of a L-shaped desk. I thought it would look cool.

If I had that now, they'd just collect dust.
I have some cheapo plastic shelving for my peripherals.

15 year old flatbed HP scanner. With some internal jury rigging it still works.

Big-ass Okidata dot-matrix printer that can't print anything modern in a legible fashion*, but good enough for "print this out and sign it."

*Meant to be a billing printer for NCR forms. LOL, I make it print PDF's (mad laughter)

I don't print very often, so inkjet cartridges would be clogged every time I went to use them, and that's absurd for $30 a go. Laser toner can cost more than the damn printer. This monster I just buy a $6 knock-off ribbon every few years (and I have a lifetime supply of fanfold paper.)

SL Rez
SLU Posts
For those of you who remember SCO vs IBM, it's back. Redhat too.

If you have a few months to read all the articles the details of their former lawsuits are here. Groklaw - Digging for Truth.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
My local music library, which doesn't require the Internet.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Do toys count?

Her daughter's reaction to Optimus Prime is adorable. $700, though. Woof.

Last edited: