Nobody Cares: Technology-only Edition

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Bah, Google was the newby. I miss Altavista. For that matter I miss DEC. Altavista was created to show off the performance of the DEC Alpha processor.
*sniff* poor webcrawler

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Misleading federal regulators who were investigating not one but two plane crashes turns out to be a bad idea. On Thursday, the Department of Justice announced that Boeing has been charged with a conspiracy to defraud a government agency that was evaluating the company's 737 Max airplane.

As a result of "misleading statements, half-truths, and omissions communicated by Boeing employees" to the Federal Aviation Authority's Aircraft Evaluation Group, Boeing has agreed to pay more than $2.5 billion as part of a deferred prosecution agreement—that includes a criminal penalty of $243 million, $500 million to compensate the heirs of 346 crash victims, and $1.77 billion in compensation to Boeing's airline customers.

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Free

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
But no one arrested for criminal negligence in connection with the deaths of hundreds of people?
Corporations are people (according to current law, that is), but you can't put 'em in prison.

Govi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
People in the corporation made decisions that got people killed. In some of the reported cases, flight-worthiness inspectors reported deficiencies and corporate managers sought ways in which to cover up the deficiencies rather than address them. At a minimum, those persons should have lost their jobs; at maximum, they should have been put on trial for criminal negligence.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
People in the corporation made decisions that got people killed. In some of the reported cases, flight-worthiness inspectors reported deficiencies and corporate managers sought ways in which to cover up the deficiencies rather than address them. At a minimum, those persons should have lost their jobs; at maximum, they should have been put on trial for criminal negligence.
There's the *should*, and then there's the *is*. There's a large chasm between those two these days.

Govi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There's the *should*, and then there's the *is*. There's a large chasm between those two these days.
Yes, of course. That is almost always the case. But "isn't" does not preclude "should." We need always to have aspirations and goals to be better than we know ourselves to be. Else, why continue?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yes, of course. That is almost always the case. But "isn't" does not preclude "should." We need always to have aspirations and goals to be better than we know ourselves to be. Else, why continue?
Yeah yeah, the struggle continues...

*grumbles* Can't let me be cynical for one minute? *grumbles*

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
"I had to start a telephone company to get [high-speed] Internet access at my house," Mauch explained in a recent presentation about his new ISP that serves his own home in Scio Township, which is next to Ann Arbor, as well as a few dozen other homes in Washtenaw County.

Mauch, a senior network architect at Akamai in his day job, moved into his house in 2002. At that point, he got a T1 line when 1.5Mbps was "a really great Internet connection," he said. As broadband technology advanced, Mauch expected that an ISP would eventually wire up his house with cable or fiber. It never happened.

• 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Microsoft Word now flags double-spaces after periods as an error:

Barbarians! I learned to type on a Selectric II in Nineteen and Eighty-two by golly, two spaces are what the Word-processing Goddess intended. :)
Got a death grip on my Strunk and White. Double-spacing after sentences and Oxford commas for life!

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Soen Eber

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
You mean undocumented indentured employees...
Or even documented. Accept shit conditions and poor wages or they won't renew the work visa!

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Got a death grip on my Strunk and White. Double-spacing after sentences and Oxford commas for life!
If the document is going to become html it makes no difference. Html ignores extra spaces.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
If the document is going to become html it makes no difference. Html ignores extra spaces.
A pox on anyone who uses Word to create html, or requires another to do so.