SLU Posts
Last edited:

Spirits Rising

Voice of Reason/Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
Had a bad feeling that something would happen to it ... Makes me kind of glad I moved on from windows some time ago.

For those who want the older Winamp, there's always WACUP.

Noodles

At least I tried to try.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Eh, I have moved on to Foobar2000 and VLC long ago.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
iTunes is still the best music player. Smart Playlists are basically a NoSQL database and you can program queries to generate automated playlists to as fine a degree as you can imagine. With 100G of tracks, I really need that.

Noodles

At least I tried to try.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
iTunes is still the best music player. Smart Playlists are basically a NoSQL database and you can program queries to generate automated playlists to as fine a degree as you can imagine. With 100G of tracks, I really need that.
Does it work with non iTunes music?

I have a pretty well organized but massive library of digital music.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Does it work with non iTunes music?
You mean music not bought from iTunes? Yes. iTunes (the player) is older than iTunes (the music store). In the '90s their ad campaign was "rip, mix, burn" which is practically pirate language.

I have a pretty well organized but massive library of digital music.
You can tell iTunes to leave your music in the location it's currently in, or import it where it will be copied to iTunes Music/artist/album/01 Trackname.mp3.

I always import it because it's easier long term.

It won't pay any attention to where the file actually is, your iTunes Music Library isn't organized around files, it's this big table of track/artist/album/year/composer/genre/track#/and/on/and/on and you can sort it on any column, filter by column contents or search string, and create smart playlists that are basically database views.

So I have playlists like this (3 stars 2 weeks)

And they feed into playlists like this:

And then I filter out stuff that's not ambient music:

And just shuffle the final resulting playlist that randomly throws songs at me depending on how I've rated them...

• 1OMG!
Reactions: Govi

Noodles

At least I tried to try.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I may have to give iTunes another look. I definitely don't need it importing file copies though, I have almost 250gb of music (quite a lot of lossless so bigger files) and I don't have the drive space for that on the main drive. Its mostly sorted by artist/album but I started recently breaking it out into /genre/artist/album.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I may have to give iTunes another look. I definitely don't need it importing file copies though, I have almost 250gb of music (quite a lot of lossless so bigger files) and I don't have the drive space for that on the main drive. Its mostly sorted by artist/album but I started recently breaking it out into /genre/artist/album.
I tried using Genera as a top level folder at one point, but there were too many bands that change genera over time. Look at how many David Bowie folders you end up with.

• 1Like
Reactions: Noodles

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
You don't have to import it to their file structure, and it doesn't need to keep its files on the system disk. I've had it on a flash drive when I only had a 60GB system drive on my laptop, and on an external firewire drive back when that was a thing.

If you want to organize by Genre, just click on the Genre column and it's immediately sorted that way.

Ironically, you can only get iTunes on Windows now, post Mojave. Apple's new music software on the Mac is called "Music" and I don't like it. It's the main reason my desktop Mac is still on Mojave.