Nobody Cares: Technology-only Edition

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
You can't parse general HTML with a formal parser either, because people write broken HTML and browsers accept broken HTML because if they don't people will just switch to a browser that does.

Unless you're Google or Mozilla or a whole huge open source project don't even try.

Just do pattern matching that works for the page you're scraping right now. Or find a formal json/xml/csv endpoint you can actually read.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Evidently Amazon Web Services is or was having issues today and basically everything that uses AWS was crippled or inoperative because of it. Including, interestingly, my local news channel's website.
Did it have any noticable effects on SL, which has either just now completed, or is about to complete, the uplift to AWS?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's certain the Trump admin wouldn't or won't.

In October, Tesla offered some of its customers an upgrade to its “Autopilot” driver-assistance system called “Full Self-Driving.” Anyone familiar with how Tesla cars work knows that “Autopilot” isn’t really “autopilot,” and “Full Self-Driving” isn’t “full” either. For now, the feature allows a car to stay within lanes on a road, automatically brake in an emergency, turn, and respond to traffic signals on its own. But the company warns drivers to “not become complacent” because the vehicle “may do the wrong thing at the worst time.” Indeed, within days of FSD’s launch, a YouTube video showed a Tesla trying to drive itself into a parked car. Tesla called FSD “beta” to underscore that it was a work in progress.

Safety and automotive leaders condemned Tesla for exposing its customers—and everyone else who shares the roads—to unnecessary risk. PAVE, a nonprofit providing education about autonomous vehicles, blasted the company for “using untrained consumers to validate beta-level software on public roads,” calling this “dangerous and inconsistent with existing guidance and industry norms.” An association representing truckers warned that “while [FSD] may be a fun experiment for Tesla’s customers, public roads are our members’ workplace.”

• 1Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
How would the members here know? :kittyball:
But I'm logged into SL right now
.....and now I'm logged out. (I was logged in for about an hour and a half or so.)

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
But I'm logged into SL right now
.....and now I'm logged out. (I was logged in for about an hour and a half or so.)
Did you spend 45 minutes in untextured gray blobs? Then there might have been a problem with LL's AWS servers...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I am posting this, not so much for the article, but for the video explaining the mechanics of how the cipher was cracked. It is a transposition style cipher. Nowadays a technically knowledgeable person would not use such a method to sign a document. But as someone who has had an interest in ciphers since I was a teenager, I found the video interesting.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Microsoft releases protection guidance after recent major national cyber-attack

According to a post on a company blog title Important steps for customers to protect themselves from recent nation-state cyberattacks, Microsoft list the following techniques that have been used by nefarious agents to conduct the relatively recent sophisticated cyberattacks.

• An intrusion through malicious code in the SolarWinds Orion product. This results in the attacker gaining a foothold in the network, which the attacker can use to gain elevated credentials. Microsoft Defender now has detections for these files. Also, see SolarWinds Security Advisory.
  • An intruder using administrative permissions acquired through an on-premises compromise to gain access to an organization’s trusted SAML token- signing certificate. This enables them to forge SAML tokens that impersonate any of the organization’s existing users and accounts, including highly privileged accounts.
  • Anomalous logins using the SAML tokens created by a compromised token-signing certificate, which can be used against any on-premises resources (regardless of identity system or vendor) as well as against any cloud environment (regardless of vendor) because they have been configured to trust the certificate. Because the SAML tokens are signed with their own trusted certificate, the anomalies might be missed by the organization.
  • Using highly privileged accounts acquired through the technique above or other means, attackers may add their own credentials to existing application service principals, enabling them to call APIs with the permission assigned to that application.
While the above are highlights mentioned by Microsoft in this particular post, the company’s full 2020 Digital Defense Report goes further in-depth discussing specific criminal groups, their activity during the COVID-19 pandemic, and a community approach to cybersecurity among other things. Even as Microsoft attempts to become a proprietor of cybersecurity, the company acknowledges that its efforts are, “only a small piece of what’s needed to address the challenge.”

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
  • 1ROFL
Reactions: Govi

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1lolwut?

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
If someone's within a few meters they're probably not going to bother.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yeah it's not something that like your ordinary user has to worry about. The thieves would have to have physical access to your computer to upload the malicious code, and if they have that there's waaaaay more efficient methods available to steal data.

I have to admit it's pretty neat though. Who would've thought - just manipulating the waste RF noise that electronic components naturally emit to turn it into an intelligible signal.

I love some of the other techniques the article says they've invented:

• LED-it-Go - exfiltrate data from air-gapped systems via an HDD's activity LED
  • Fansmitter - steal data from air-gapped PCs using sounds emanated by a computer's GPU fan
  • BitWhisper - exfiltrate data from non-networked computers using heat emanations
  • POWER-SUPPLaY - steal data by turning the power supply into a speaker
I suppose all the LED tricks are really just TOSLINK without the cable, lol

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Bah, Google was the newby. I miss Altavista. For that matter I miss DEC. Altavista was created to show off the performance of the DEC Alpha processor.

• 2Like
Reactions: Govi and Ashiri

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Last edited:
  • 1Yay!

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If only we knew that they felt something good about what they're doing or embarrassed or shy or confused or ... ?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Knutz Scorpio