Nobody Cares! (Science & Tech Edition)

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The first Boeing 777X successfully completed a four-hour test-flight over western Washington state today.

That's a long video but the landing takes place over the first two minutes so you don't need to watch the whole thing. Neat trick at about one minute in. Also, taking a look at the head-on shot at 2:50, to see that neat wing profile. The wings are carbon-fiber, and an evolution of the wing design used for the Dreamliner.

This 777X is the -9 variant. At 76.7m (251' 9") long it is the largest passenger airliner in the world, the previous record-holder having been the 747-800 at 76.25m. The folding wings are there to keep it within the same type-class as the original 777s. It is heavier than the previous largest 777 (which was the -300ER), but the improved wing and engine designs mean it is around 13% more fuel-efficient.

The 777 first came to life in 1994 and was noteworthy for being the world's first airliner that was entirely designed on computer (i.e., using CAD), and was also the first Boeing jet with a perfectly circular fuselage cross-section. It might have been the first passenger jet period with a circular cross, but I don't know for sure if Airbus was making them that way already.

As far as safety goes, this particular family of jets HAD an impressive safety record with no crashes or fatalities for nearly 20 years until a terrible landing at San Francisco in 2013 destroyed the plane on the runway and killed three passengers. The following year a 777 was apparently hijacked and disappeared over the Indian Ocean and a couple months later one was shot down by separatists over eastern Ukraine, with all passengers and crew killed in both instances.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

danielravennest

SLU Posts
The first Boeing 777X successfully completed a four-hour test-flight over western Washington state today.

I was amused by the "STOP - Yield to Aircraft" sign near the runway.

This plane took off from the Everett Plant, where it was assembled, and landed at "Boeing Field" (aka King County International Airport), where the planes typically spend a few weeks getting customized (for particular airlines), and doing various flight tests before being delivered to the customer. I originally went to work for Boeing in Seattle, and have been to both places.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
All paid extensions for Chrome are now banned from the Google store in the name of combatting fraud. That seems a bit heavy handed. I personally just have one paid extension. It will still work and I'm not anticipating updates on it since it is pretty simple to operate without much to improve on but yeesh.

My loved extension.

Transpose <> pitch - speed - loop for Chrome

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Brenda Archer

Sid

Most likely on a coffee break.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
If you live somewhere near that place, not so cool, I guess.

Free

Gone Fishin'
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

NASA has confirmed that an asteroid larger than the tallest man-made structure in the world is currently travelling towards Earth at a speed of almost 34,000 miles per hour. Thankfully, it'll likely miss us by a few million miles.
Boo! Hiss!

• 1OMG!

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Crappy news sources are trying to make this scary by talking about how close it's getting in AU because smaller numbers are scarier.

• 1Facepalm