Nobody Cares! (Science & Tech Edition)

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Google Maps' "incognito mode" mostly just hides your location history from you

The company announced this week a series of new privacy tools across its various apps, including a mode that lets you cut down on recording where you're going or where you've been and pause location sharing. (Those locations won't be saved to your Google account and the app won't use them to suggest destinations to you).

But the feature, which is available on Android now and coming to iOS soon, has significant limitations. "Turning on Incognito Mode in Maps does not affect how your activity is used or saved by internet providers, other apps, voice search, and other Google services," the company clarifies in a message.

In other words, it mostly lets you hide your location history from yourself.

Although you'll be able to have better control over your history and future maps requests, Google isn't going out of its way to anonymize that data before sending them to third parties.

Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

"Remember, Google's business model is based primarily on collecting your personal data and selling it to third parties," Cornell professor of electrical and computer engineering Stephen Wicker told CNN Business. "Your map activity is still available to third parties for the purpose of marketing and manipulation."

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
This is going to be a huge drawback for all web sites with user generated content running since years - it will break them all.

Google is the new Microsoft; and Google is becoming more and more evil...
Evil or just incompetent. I got a text from Mum to help out with her gmail account and will be investigating whether to drop gmail for another. Oddly, it's all the "security" that's causing problems.

Cyber-security theatre?

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Evil or just incompetent. I got a text from Mum to help out with her gmail account and will be investigating whether to drop gmail for another. Oddly, it's all the "security" that's causing problems.

Cyber-security theatre?
I feel like it's all Google trying to throw it's weight around to crush it's competition. They have tracking code everywhere. For ads. Who else can get all that tracking data easily? (For ads)

Your ISP.

Now if ISP tracking is good or bad or moral.or whatever is beside the point a bit. Google pushes things like forcing https and trying to push DNS over https as this great security protection, but I really feel the true motivation is to kneecap the ISP's efforts to compete with Google on selling ads.

Which is bull shit.

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Ashiri and Essence Lumin

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
So true. Firefox sucked for so long, maybe it still does, but might be worth a check.
I switched from Firefox to Chrome when Chrome first came out. It was a bit buggy back then, but it was lean. And fast. Firefox was like browsing with a wet sponge in comparison. Now, Chrome is a memory hog, especially with multiple tabs open. Firefox still feels sluggish, but I think it's easier on the memory. If Chrome starts breaking sites like this, I may very well switch back. Hopefully there's a way to import all my Chrome bookmarks into Firefox. And sync them across all my devices.

• 1Like
Reactions: Essence Lumin
SL Rez
SLU Posts
The main problem for me will be all the extensions. Will they work in Firefox? I'm not asking for help but would have to locate these. I have many but the important ones are:

* Duplicate tab
Full Page Screen Capture
* LastPass
Looper for Youtube
* NoSquint Plus
Pitch Shifter
* Ublock Origin

I suppose I could switch to Chrome when I need some of these except for the starred ones which are absolutely essential to me.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
The main problem for me will be all the extensions. Will they work in Firefox? I'm not asking for help but would have to locate these. I have many but the important ones are:
* Duplicate tab
Do you mean Duplicate Tabs Closer? (Duplicating tabs is a feature in both Chrome and Firefox.)

Full Page Screen Capture
You can do this in Firefox without an addon:
  1. Click the 3 dots (Page actions) in the url/address field
  2. Click Take a Screenshot
  3. Select Save Full Page
It'll then gives you options to Copy or Download (as PNG).

* LastPass
LastPass Password Manager – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

Looper for Youtube
Youtube Video Looper – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

* NoSquint Plus
NoSquint Plus – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)
Buggier than the Chrome version.

Pitch Shifter
Pitchshifter – Get this Theme for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

* Ublock Origin
uBlock Origin – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

• 1Thanks
  • 1Like
Reactions: Govi and Essence Lumin

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I feel like it's all Google trying to throw it's weight around to crush it's competition. They have tracking code everywhere. For ads. Who else can get all that tracking data easily? (For ads)

Your ISP.

Now if ISP tracking is good or bad or moral.or whatever is beside the point a bit. Google pushes things like forcing https and trying to push DNS over https as this great security protection, but I really feel the true motivation is to kneecap the ISP's efforts to compete with Google on selling ads.

Which is bull shit.
Well it is a fact that Google sabotaged Edge, the new browser from Microsoft, on purpose by making the Youtube experience sluggish and slow for users of this browser only. This is why the new browser in development is going to be a fork of Chromium.

Encrypting web traffic is a good idea when sensitive data is being transmitted; also DNS queries. Bringing in HTTP as protocol is questionable, though, because it adds unnecessary complexity. And running all through Cloudflare like Mozilla wanted to do is even more so questionable.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer
SL Rez
SLU Posts
* Duplicate tab
Do you mean Duplicate Tabs Closer? (Duplicating tabs is a feature in both Chrome and Firefox.)
Etc.

Thank you Free!

It seems the duplicate tab extension is no longer needed in Firefox or Chrome. It used to be there was something called duplicate tab in the right click menu in both browsers that copied the tab, but didn't preserve its history. The extension did that. That apparently is no longer the case.

The link you gave for pitch shifter is some theme. In Chrome, I use it for practicing music. It changes the pitch and/or the tempo of youtube videos. I can switch back to Chrome for that though.

I appreciate your looking into this for me.

• 1Pie
Reactions: Free

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I switched from Firefox to Chrome when Chrome first came out. It was a bit buggy back then, but it was lean. And fast. Firefox was like browsing with a wet sponge in comparison. Now, Chrome is a memory hog, especially with multiple tabs open. Firefox still feels sluggish, but I think it's easier on the memory. If Chrome starts breaking sites like this, I may very well switch back. Hopefully there's a way to import all my Chrome bookmarks into Firefox. And sync them across all my devices.
Besides hating the font rendering and lack of tab-scrolling, Chrome has become really bloated in Memory and CPU usage.

The "new" Firefox (Quantum) is less resource-hungry.

New is in quotes, it's actually been around a while.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
"Remember, Google's business model is based primarily on collecting your personal data and selling it to third parties," Cornell professor of electrical and computer engineering Stephen Wicker told CNN Business. "Your map activity is still available to third parties for the purpose of marketing and manipulation."
Next he'll be saying water is wet. :p

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
[redacted fan-girlish pimping of Opera]
Opera is now owned by a Chinese company. Make of that what you will.

There's the open-source Chromium that Chrome is based on, but it's missing a few bits in comparison.

Vivaldi, which was a split off from Opera:
Released as Opera 15 in May of 2013, the overhaul angered many users given a number of distinct features were dropped. By then, Opera Software co-founder and former CEO Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner had already left the company, and moved on to form Vivaldi Technologies at the end of 2013. He set out to pick up where Opera 14 ended, providing features power users want in an entirely new browser.
Vivaldi does have a few Google things, so if you're switching to escape Google, keep in mind that is uses some Google services by default. (Settings->Privacy-->Third Party Services)

And the Brave browser, but I don't know much about it beyond it being supposedly more privacy-oriented than others with the option to see ads to earn their own brand of YetAnotherCryptoCurrency and the ability to tip page makers with the same. Personally, I really could give two shits about YetAnotherCryptocurrency, YMMV. And uBlock Origin with a few extra custom filters seems to block most things anyways.

The AllNew Edge browser is now Chromium based, but is still in beta. It'll use your microsoft account to keep everything synced. Personally, I use a local account for WinDerps and a throwaway hotmail account for anything that wants a M$ account (store/whatever).

All things considered, I'd use Vivaldi if I was going to use a Chromium-based browser.

As a side note: I use Lastpass for passwords and Eversync for Bookmarks, so I can change browsers willy--nilly.

Last edited:
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I used Firefox for many years. Then they pissed me off, also years ago. Their browser was slow and awful and they messed up the extensions. Chrome is pissing me off now, especially due to the privacy issues. It is a bit of a trouble to switch. Not that much though. It took me about an hour to set up Firefox, with a reasonable theme, bookmarks, extensions and everything. I hope it goes well. It seems fast now. They still need to hire a couple of user interface designers.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I used Firefox for many years. Then they pissed me off, also years ago. Their browser was slow and awful and they messed up the extensions. Chrome is pissing me off now, especially due to the privacy issues. It is a bit of a trouble to switch. Not that much though. It took me about an hour to set up Firefox, with a reasonable theme, bookmarks, extensions and everything. I hope it goes well. It seems fast now. They still need to hire a couple of user interface designers.
Protip: Get the "ESR" (Enterprise) version of Firefox. They're less likely to randomly fuck with the interface, or at least interface fucktuppery is delayed for a while :p

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Essence Lumin and Govi

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Just annoys that everything but Firefox (and its questionably-maintained forks) is Chromium based if you want any sort of real extension support. Even if you get away from the Google issues, it's a base I'm not especially fond of as far as performance drain (cpu/ram/disk space*), ever-shrinking tabs (which they said last year would be fixed Soon(tm)**), and font rendering (albeit mostly fixable with an extension***).

I used Opera for a while during the Netscape/IE wars, but back then it was it's own thing.

*To be fair, FF is catching up with Chrome's Bloat, accord to most reviews I've seenthey're mostly on par with the exception you can gracefully manage FF's Cache size so it doesn't eat your drive space . . . However my own current test with the same pages (A bunch of VVO and a youtube video) YMMV widely.

FF: 6 processes, 5% cpu (max), 700M Ram
Vivaldi: 23 processes (WTF), 39% CPU, 1220M Ram

**Chrome is getting scrollable tab bar, Google confirms

***Font Rendering Enhancer

Last edited: