Nobody Cares: PRS

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Not very long, but highly informative about history and the way plutocrats seize power. We need to do more than overturn Citizens United. We have to go farther back, starting with Buckley v. Valeo.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
This really pisses me off. Every person there who has any connection to anti-vax campaigns needs to be charged with manslaughter for every death. Or just be dumped in the ocean at least 1000 miles from land, Im good with either. These anti-vaxxers kill children as surely as if they were poisoning them.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
This happened early this morning in Port Naches, outside Houston, a petrochemical plant exploded, with the blast damaging structures over a mile away:

The fire has been burning all day and there have been secondary explosions.

And it's still not under control.

An hour or so ago, a mandatory evacuation was extended to four miles' radius from the plant.

The communities of Port Neches, Groves, Nederland, Central Gardens, Beauxart Gardens, and portions of Port Arthur are impacted by the order from Jefferson County Judge Jeff Branick.

The initial blast happened around 1 a.m. at the TPC Group plant off Highway 366. The facility is approximately 95 miles east of Houston.

Two employees and one contractor were injured in the blast, but all were treated and released from hospitals, officials said.

By early Wednesday afternoon, another blast rocked the plant as personnel continued to fight the fires on site. That explosion was caused by the collapse of a flaring tower, according to Jefferson County Emergency Management Coordinator Michael White.

More flaring towers could also fall as the response continued, White said.

Black debris was seen floating in the air hours after the initial blast, as crews continued to spray water onto the impacted areas of the facility. Residents were advised not to touch the floating debris with their bare hands.

"The black stuff floating, don't touch it," said Troy Monk, who is the director of health safety and security for the TPC Group.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Er, shouldn't nursing homes and hospitals be priorities for evacuation if there is danger?
I would guess that they’re afraid of moving people. They tried evacuating nursing home residents during Hurricane Ike - had to - and it led to waits in traffic that could be too much.

Still, nobody should risk exposure to what’s in the air.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Ellie and Cristalle

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
How to create and catch illegal immigrants the fast way in four easy to follow steps, American style:

Step 1: let the Department of Homeland Security create a fake university, like the University of Farmington in Farmington Hills, Michigan.
Step 2: get a bunch of foreign students - let's say 250 - to attend this University and apply for student visas, let them into the country and spend a lot of money on housing, food, tuition fees.
Step 3: close the fake facility.
Step 4: since the legal reason for the visas is now gone all unsuspecting students became over night illegal immigrants, so just let the ICE do its job and show them the good old American style hospitality, e.g. arrest them.

ICE arrests 90 more students at fake university in Michigan

Last edited:

RealVioletWitch

Randomly Awkward
SL Rez
Why doesn't the USA just like, announce they're closing their borders?

Cos it feels like that's what they wanna do. It feels like that's the message they wanna send to the rest of the world.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Aeon Jiminy

This really pisses me off. Every person there who has any connection to anti-vax campaigns needs to be charged with manslaughter for every death. Or just be dumped in the ocean at least 1000 miles from land, Im good with either. These anti-vaxxers kill children as surely as if they were poisoning them.
Isn't this just a little extreme? I get the vaccinations that my doctor recommends, but I'm not absolutely 100% confident in the whole process. At the end of the day, nobody can plant their flag on a hill and claim that there isn't some profit motivations and political influence dirtying the needles just a little bit. I don't have kids, but I can imagine how difficult it must be to have to gamble their health. Rather than moving directly to criminal the criminal justice system or mob rule, I'd like to see the process become more transparent and the oversight more reliable. To think there isn't a lot of room for improvement to make a more trustworthy argument in favor of vaccines is just going to help validate their fear. We're not going to win trust with this firesticks and faith argument.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Why doesn't the USA just like, announce they're closing their borders?

Cos it feels like that's what they wanna do. It feels like that's the message they wanna send to the rest of the world.
1. American companies need an influx on foreign workers, especially the high paying industries. Even more so that the life expectancy is decreasing the third year in a row and fertility rate on decline as well.
2. Tourism would suffer.

Tigger

Isn't this just a little extreme? I get the vaccinations that my doctor recommends, but I'm not absolutely 100% confident in the whole process. At the end of the day, nobody can plant their flag on a hill and claim that there isn't some profit motivations and political influence dirtying the needles just a little bit. I don't have kids, but I can imagine how difficult it must be to have to gamble their health. Rather than moving directly to criminal the criminal justice system or mob rule, I'd like to see the process become more transparent and the oversight more reliable. To think there isn't a lot of room for improvement to make a more trustworthy argument in favor of vaccines is just going to help validate their fear. We're not going to win trust with this firesticks and faith argument.
First off lets drop some facts from the WHO in here.

Measles is a highly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus. Before the introduction of measles vaccine in 1963 and widespread vaccination, major epidemics occurred approximately every 2–3 years and measles caused an estimated 2.6 million deaths each year.

Approximately 110 000 people died from measles in 2017 – mostly children under the age of 5 years, despite the availability of a safe and effective vaccine.

No specific antiviral treatment exists for measles virus.

In 2017, about 85% of the world's children received 1 dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services – up from 72% in 2000. Two doses of the vaccine are recommended to ensure immunity and prevent outbreaks, as about 15% of vaccinated children fail to develop immunity from the first dose. In 2017, 67% of children received the second dose of the measles vaccine.
So, while 110,000 deaths is certainly not zero, it is quite a lot better than 2.6 million deaths per year. Measles is a good example of why prevention is better than cure not least because there is no cure but there is a vaccine that can prevent it.

So if you would like to explain exactly what political machinations you fear I'll listen. But whatever it is that you fear is it really enough to justify a further two and a half million deaths a year?

who information was lifted from here:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Using the same argumentation strategy Aeon uses we all could start nibbling on Plutonium as well. Why should we trust the scientists at all, it we never tried it out - right, when we can not be 100% sure that it might not be good for us. it might even give us a good boost of something we could use in our daily life, and they just don't want us to find out!

Then again almost nobody would be so dumb to do this - and that's the difference to the vaccine deniers.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
At the end of the day, nobody can plant their flag on a hill and claim that there isn't some profit motivations and political influence dirtying the needles just a little bit.
Sorry, but this is a piss-poor argument.

It is, in fact, pretty easy to claim just about anything, as anti-vaxxers have demonstrated.

What's sometimes difficult is producing some evidence to back up a statement, particularly when it's a negative one -- for example, how am I to know that there is not some profit motivation or political influence dirtying the keyboards just a little bit, and you're not making these claims because someone's paying you to, or has promised you some political advantage if you make enough of them?

Please prove to me that isn't the case -- I bet you can't.

Fortunately, I try to be both responsible and intellectually honest, so I accept that if I make any sort of claim about criminal, dishonest, underhand or unethical behaviour on someone's part, the person about whom I'm making the claims doesn't have to prove anything -- it's up to me to back up my allegations or innuendos with some facts, and since I have no reason to suppose you're dishonest or in someone's pocket, and certainly no evidence to back up such a suggestion, it would be irresponsible of me to make such claims.

So I don't.

Now, would you like to share with us the evidence that has led you to the considered opinion that medical professionals are cynically exploiting their positions of trust and betraying their professional responsibility to their patients by ignoring, for their or someone else's financial or political gain, persuasive evidence that it is not medically advisable to vaccinate children using the MMR vaccine in common use?

Here's what the NHS in the UK have to say to worried parents in the first instance:

Please review their advice and tell me where you think they get it wrong, and why.

Last edited:

Tigger

Using the same argumentation strategy Aeon uses we all could start nibbling on Plutonium as well. Why should we trust the scientists at all, it we never tried it out - right, when we can not be 100% sure that it might not be good for us. it might even give us a good boost of something we could use in our daily life, and they just don't want us to find out!

Then again almost nobody would be so dumb to do this - and that's the difference to the vaccine deniers.
Not any more but go back a century or so and ...

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Wow, this chocolate was even patented! And Doc Senftner invented it so for sure it must have been... brown. And good. Yummy. Whatever... historical amusements from a time people didn't knew better.