Nobody Cares: PRS

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
So there's this little diversion that's being making the rounds on social media called "number neighbor", where the idea is that you send a text to a number that is your own phone number with the last digit changed up or down by 1, and have a short random and presumably anonymous chat with whoever that number so happens to belong to.

That might be an incredibly bad idea though and I can't recommend you "play" the game, considering what happened to this lady.

The woman, who only wanted to be identified as Ashley, said she wanted to play along with the online challenge, in which people text the phone number that is one off of their own number. There are thousands of examples online, and most seem to show positive interactions.

Instead of the positive response, she got death threats and terror.

The person on the other end of the text thread threatened to kill her in a series of terrifying messages, insisting that he was on his way to her house. She received videos of someone loading two different guns and more than 70 calls, which she did not answer. The calls continued from a different number even after she blocked her number neighbor.

Ashley has filed a police report and will change her own phone's number. Even though the calls have stopped she said she wanted to speak out to warn others that the seemingly fun "game" could have frightening repercussions.
[

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Britain's advertising regulator, the Advertising Standards Authority, recently announced it was banning adverts that it considers promote sexist stereotypes. Two have now been refused approval (which means no one will agree to run them):

• 1Grumpy Cat
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Six police officers (so far) have been shot in an active standoff with at least one gunman in a house or building in Philadelphia. According to police statements (there haven't been many yet, it's an ongoing situation), police originally went to the location for something to do with a narcotics investigation, and this standoff eventually developed. Nearby businesses and institutions are on lockdown and residents are being advised to avoid the area.

Reports say the suspect is livestreaming the shooting on Facebook.

Last edited:

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

The shootout is still ongoing. So it seems the story is, a number of police officers were serving a warrant at this house and were on the second floor when somebody started shooting at them through the floor. Some of the police escaped with several other people from inside the home, but two officers still remain trapped on the second floor with the shooter(s) barricaded on the first.

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Perhaps I've become jaded, but I strongly suspect that Trump/Republicans will use this to push gun legislation based on possible gang affiliation (which in practice will mean blacks and latinos) while completely ignoring white supremacist groups.

And then be all "What? We gave you your gun control legislation, stop complaining!"

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The standoff in Philadelphia has ended with the surrender of the suspect. Local media reports a total of 9 officers injured. Six of those were shot, and it was reported earlier they were all eventually released from the hospital. A seventh was injured in a car accident while on the way to the scene; AFAIK that officer had to be admitted to the hospital. I don't know anything about the other two, this link is the first time I've heard anything about them and it doesn't say anything about the nature of their injuries. But, so far, it doesn't appear that anyone has died in this incident....hopefully it stays that way!

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
David Lammy is a race-baiting racist who sees the whole world in terms of race because he's a racist. He's the go-to rent a racist for the Guardian and the BBC because he's guaranteed to have some stupid racism to spew on any topic, guaranteeing some good clickbait.

The campaign in question won't work because slogans don't work, but it's got nothing to do with race. If however you want to get hashtag slogan takeaway boxes into the hands of young people in the UK, chicken shops are the places to use. "The kids" buy boxes of peri peri chicken, not fish and chips, burgers or organic salad. That has nothing to do with race. There is absolutely no racial connotation in the UK in buying chicken or even watermelon. This isn't the USA. But David Lammy is a racist, so he'll see race in everything.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
David Lammy is a race-baiting racist who sees the whole world in terms of race because he's a racist. He's the go-to rent a racist for the Guardian and the BBC because he's guaranteed to have some stupid racism to spew on any topic, guaranteeing some good clickbait.

The campaign in question won't work because slogans don't work, but it's got nothing to do with race. If however you want to get hashtag slogan takeaway boxes into the hands of young people in the UK, chicken shops are the places to use. "The kids" buy boxes of peri peri chicken, not fish and chips, burgers or organic salad. That has nothing to do with race. There is absolutely no racial connotation in the UK in buying chicken or even watermelon. This isn't the USA. But David Lammy is a racist, so he'll see race in everything.
Having spent several years married to an Indian in the UK, I've always found it both instructive and prudent, when a member of a minority group tells me that she or he considers something racist, to listen to what's being said and to take it on board, since I'm not the one experiencing what the other person sees as being based on harmful stereotypes.

Simply telling them they've got it wrong and they're being oversensitive or racist themselves or whatever always seems to me a bit like a man responding to a women telling him she finds something he's going or saying sexist or demeaning by saying, "Well, actually, it isn't anything of the sort because..." which never ends well, at least in my experience.

This has always been pretty much second nature to me, since I'm of an age and background to have been brought up on the principle that should someone take personal offence at something I've said, then unless I'm actually trying to rile the other person, I should apologise and make a mental note of what has been said and consider the implications, since a lady or gentleman should never unintentionally cause offence, at least not if they're English.