Nobody Cares: PRS

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
I've been sadly watching news of youths stabbed to death in the UK and horrified that some version of the abandoned SUS policy may be adopted to help deal with it.
Cocaine clichés and London blinkers: yet another knife crime myth-buster
There is no evidence that the level of police stop and search powers has an effect on killings. A College of Policing study of Metropolitan Police boroughs looking at ten years of data from 2004-14 found that stop and search had no effect on the levels of violent crime.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I am really really tired of Alt-Right assholes being assholes and wondering why no one fucking likes them and claiming there is some sort of conspiracy agenda about keeping them down when it's their own asshole behavior.
A phenomenon especially noticeable amongst red-pillers, MGTOW and incels, but hardly confined to them, of course.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I've been sadly watching news of youths stabbed to death in the UK and horrified that some version of the abandoned SUS policy may be adopted to help deal with it.
Cocaine clichés and London blinkers: yet another knife crime myth-buster
That's the least of our worries -- Military 'ready to respond' to Britain's knife crime crisis, defence secretary Gavin Williamson says.

This is the same Gavin Williamson who recently caused a planned trade visit to China by our Chancellor of the Exchequer to be cancelled by his ill-advised remarks about sending an aircraft carrier to the Pacific: Gavin Williamson at centre of row over chancellor’s cancelled China trip

Ellie

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
That's the least of our worries -- Military 'ready to respond' to Britain's knife crime crisis, defence secretary Gavin Williamson says.

This is the same Gavin Williamson who recently caused a planned trade visit to China by our Chancellor of the Exchequer to be cancelled by his ill-advised remarks about sending an aircraft carrier to the Pacific: Gavin Williamson at centre of row over chancellor’s cancelled China trip
I vividly remember the Toxteth, Brixton riots.

Why Liverpool 8 exploded - and what happened next

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I vividly remember the Toxteth, Brixton riots.

Why Liverpool 8 exploded - and what happened next
I lived very near Broadwater Farm in 1985 -- What caused Broadwater Farm riot? -- and I was actually caught up in the London Poll Tax riot in 1990 BBC News - Poll tax riots - 20 years after violence shook London.

I didn't participate -- I'd attended the demonstration in Trafalgar Square and then, when things turned nasty, spent a very eventful couple of hours trying to get out of the centre of town without being either arrested or brained by a badly-aimed half-brick, which was quite a challenge at times.

My abiding memory is that, in the midst of all this, there was still a large queue of bemused-looking tourists waiting for returns for Les Mis, with a Les Mis style riot going on around them.

Ellie

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
My abiding memory is that, in the midst of all this, there was still a large queue of bemused-looking tourists waiting for returns for Les Mis, with a Les Mis style riot going on around them.
I'd only recently moved to the area & hadn't yet discovered the Ritzy, so only went there to catch buses when trains weren't running. A friend of mine still recounts the story of how her bust records where lost by police busy dealing with riots.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yeah, sure. A "typo."

• 1Like
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
50 charged, 15 indicted so far in nationwide college-admissions fraud scheme

According to the indictment, the scheme worked to help potential students cheat on college entrance exams or pose as recruited athletes to get admitted to high-profile universities with bribes of up to $6 million. The scheme allegedly facilitated admittance for some students as athletes regardless of their athletic abilities.

Parents allegedly paid a California man a predetermined amount which he would then steer to either an SAT or ACT administrator, or a college athletic coach. Coaches would help non-recruits get into school by saying they were recruits. Most of the students allegedly admitted under these false pretenses that they did not know their admission was contingent on a bribe.

Among coaches indicted are current Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer, former Yale women's soccer coach Rudy Meredith, former Georgetown tennis coach Gordie Ernst, several USC Olympic sports coaches, current UCLA men's soccer coach Jorge Salcedo and current Texas men's tennis coach Michael Center. Ernst, who is accused of taking multiple six-figure cash bribes to admit fake recruits, resigned without explanation from Georgetown last summer. He is now coaching at Rhode Island.

Actors Felicity Huffman, of Desperate Housewives fame, and Full House's Lori Loughlin were both charged in the scheme, according to court documents, which show that the FBI recorded phone calls with both actresses and a cooperating witness where they discussed the scheme. The two have been charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

In her affidavit, Special Agent Laura Smith said the FBI has "probable cause to believe that the defendants conspired with others known and unknown: (1) to bribe college entrance exam administrators to facilitate cheating on college entrance exams; (2) to bribe varsity coaches and administrators at elite universities to designate certain applicants as recruited athletes or as other favored candidates, thereby facilitating the applicants' admission to those universities; and (3) to use the facade of a charitable organization to conceal the nature and source of the bribe payments."

The scheme, which was allegedly running from 2011 to present day, per court documents, involved Georgetown University, Stanford University, UCLA, the University of San Diego, USC, University of Texas, Wake Forest, and Yale.
In addition to the coaches who accepted the bribes, and the people primarily behind the scheme, 33 parents (including the actresses mentioned in the article above) who willingly employed the schemers to get their kids into the schools have also been charged. Investigators have said that currently no students are facing charges (yet), as it is likely they were unaware of the scheme. Additionally, the schools themselves don't appear to have been aware or involved, outside of the individual coaches who accepted the bribes and falsified the admissions documents.

This is a fairly explosive thing. There's more coverage here.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
This only blew up because it was a crass attempt to get around the system, instead of working within the system. Within the system you make friends with important alumni, then contribute to whatever cause they are promoting. Finally you mention that your spawn is looking at colleges, and what advice would they give. If you do your job right, the important alumni will write a letter of recommendation to the admissions office. They will pay attention because it is coming from an important alumni.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head

(Posted here because guys like the one mentioned actually do political commentary disguised as film criticism, not film criticism)
Not sure I understand. The tweet included a picture of the guy, but nothing else. No commentary. no report of what he's done and said just that photo/screen grab of him from youtube. Can someone explain what the implication is that I'm missing?

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
For Tigger:

(Posted here because guys like the one mentioned actually do political commentary disguised as film criticism, not film criticism)
"Obviously, I was wrong, but by staring off into the distance while wearing my tin-foil bodysuit and aviator sunglasses indoors, I will establish my essential cool and the fact that I was raving about this issue yesterday is of no matter, unimportant. Let us, instead, reconsider the Stan Lee oeuvre, a matter much more weighty than such trivial things."