Nobody Cares: PRS

danielravennest

SLU Posts
We've always had Kenmore appliances here. The dish washer is on the fritz. This time the replacement won't be a Kenmore. I need a service agreement where the company won't be out of business.
Keep in mind that Sears didn't make any of the branded products they sold, any more than Walmart makes any of the "Great Value" products they sell. They both get them from other manufacturers. But Sears did set the specifications for the Craftsman, Kenmore, and other branded lines, and the specs were pretty good. The other things they did were to put good warranties on them, and keep parts in stock. So the middle-class buyers were comfortable buying them, because they backed up what they sold. That kind of business relationship hardly exists any more with "big box" retailers.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Activity has calmed enough that we're finally starting to get some clear views of Anak Krakatau. The earlier descriptions that "a portion" of the mountain collapsed turned out to be somewhat misleadingly conservative:

Before:

After:

These two photos which were taken from roughly the same direction, show that a good two-thirds of the island's bulk, including almost the entire mass of the cinder cone itself, has slid away. The mountain has been replaced by a sheltered cove, and the eruptive column is rising from roughly the spot where the conduit used to be.

Last edited:
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Keep in mind that Sears didn't make any of the branded products they sold, any more than Walmart makes any of the "Great Value" products they sell. They both get them from other manufacturers. But Sears did set the specifications for the Craftsman, Kenmore, and other branded lines, and the specs were pretty good. The other things they did were to put good warranties on them, and keep parts in stock. So the middle-class buyers were comfortable buying them, because they backed up what they sold. That kind of business relationship hardly exists any more with "big box" retailers.
Do you have a suggestion of where I should buy a dishwasher?

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
For sure, NOT Costco. As great as they are at most things, they apparently do absolutely nothing to stand behind their appliances. My neighbors are going through refrigerator hell with a (very spendy) new refrigerator that failed right from the get-go.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Essence Lumin

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Alas, I haven't bought major appliances in a decade. Hit up your local library for Consumer Reports, and look for the latest reviews of dishwashers.

I say "haven't bought" in the sense of individual ones. When I bought this house 4 years ago, it came with a full set, and they all still work. So I haven't needed to buy new ones yet. Consumer Reports aggregates reports from their members, so that's more reliable than any one individual's information.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
For sure, NOT Costco. As great as they are at most things, they apparently do absolutely nothing to stand behind their appliances. My neighbors are going through refrigerator hell with a (very spendy) new refrigerator that failed right from the get-go.
All I can say is don't buy a GE Adora. I'm super unhappy with it. I'm always rewashing what comes out of it, in fact, now I use it predominately for sterilization but wash everything before I put it into the dish washer, which basically defeats the purpose of the washer. Oh, I guess I use it to hide dirty dishes I don't have time to wash before company comes over too. :shiftyeyes:

Also I can't say how much I hate my Frigidaire refrigerator. :voodoo:

The problem is that I hated almost every refrigerator I looked at. The manufacturers are completely focused on an "internet connected appliance" (which I DO NOT WANT) and ignoring what we actually use a frigging refrigerator for. Which is to safely store food. So the shelves suck and are plastic and break and are hard to clean and the inside door shelves are not designed for any reasonable sized jars and half that space is taken up with WTF juice can storage that just makes no sense. The freezer baskets are falling apart and break at the drop of a hat.

OMG don't get me started on the stupid ice maker. I'm sure it was designed by Satan's minions. Ice arbitrarily falls out all on it's own and makes the floor wet, my husband and I have both nearly slipped on it. Ice never falls out when you want it to or it starts to fall out and then just doesn't stop, so the glass you hold under it fills and then it keeps dispensing until your floor is covered in ice.

Any good recommendations on a refrigerator out there, I'm all ears.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Further commentary, I'm under the impression that the mid range of fridges, the $1500 - $3000 "fancy" fridges are utter pieces of shite in the last decade or so.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Further commentary, I'm under the impression that the mid range of fridges, the $1500 - $3000 "fancy" fridges are utter pieces of shite in the last decade or so.
$3000 is midrange? Yeesh. I paid $800 for mine in the last year and it works fine.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
We paid around $1200 for our GE side-by-side fridge back in late 2007, and it still works just fine. Unfortunately, the apartment we moved into last year has a fridge already, and we weren't allowed to swap theirs out for ours, so it sits in storage. Probably just as well; there's no water hookup here.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Husband just bought all new Frigidaire appliances, including French door fridge. “So they will all match.” Whaaaa? Who cares if the old fridge is missing a drawer, the seal on the stove is messed up, and the microwave is missing a handle, it still opens fine!

• 1Hug
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
$3000 is midrange? Yeesh. I paid $800 for mine in the last year and it works fine.
In the last 2 years I've bought 2 fridge freezers for £250 each, one for me and one for my mum. That's not even the cheapest one I considered.

Looking at the supplier I used (ao.com) , they have one in the mind-bending £6000+ range, other than that £2800 is the top price. Even what we in the UK refer to as "american" fridge/freezers start at under £500. I can't see what justifies the prices of the £1000+ fridges, let alone £6000.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Ryanna Enfield

It doesn't even look good on paper. Democrats tried this before. When will they fucking learn that Republicans are going to blame them no matter what they do, and voters will not remember the fact that it was Democrats who tried the fiscal responsibility bullshit in the voting booth. We did not elect Democrats to appease Republican conservatives. Fuck that noise. Austerity doesn't work.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Five teenage girls in Poland were killed while trapped in an "Escape Room" when a fire broke out in an adjacent room in the building, asphyxiating them. A sixth victim, a man, was rescued alive by responding firefighters and hospitalized with burns.

"Escape Rooms", which the article says are popular in Poland, are a sort of amusement attraction where players are locked in a room and must solve some kind of puzzle, video-game style, in order to find and open the exit. I've heard of similar attractions in the US, but I didn't get the impression they were particularly popular here. I don't know how these kinds of things are operated, but it's a bit shocking to me that there were apparently no staff of any kind on hand to evacuate players in the event of emergencies like this fire.