Nobody Cares: PRS

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The idea of yoga as a "gateway drug" to Hinduism is about as tenable as karate being a gateway drug to Buddhism.
The closest I've ever seen to anything like this happening is...well, I know that at least a fair amount of people get into Yoga are also into other kind of wealthy-white-lib Eastern-mystical performative stuff? I wouldn't call it "converting to Buddhism or Hinduism" as such; it's more like a weird aesthetic-appropriation thing where they keep Buddha statues and "zen fountains" and other Easterny-looking kitsch around their houses and such. I don't know whether them being into Yoga is a cause or effect thing of that, though.

I think mostly it's just conservatives in Alabama being afraid that teaching kids Yoga will magically turn them liberal or something.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

The crash happened at 11:25 p.m. in the Carlton Woods subdivision near The Woodlands. The car burst into flames after hitting a tree near 18 Hammock Dunes Place.

Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman told KPRC 2 that the investigation showed “no one was driving” the fully-electric 2019 Tesla when the accident happened. There was a person in the passenger seat of the front of the car and in the rear passenger seat of the car.
A TESLA IS NOT A SELF-DRIVING CAR

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
That's a pretty good question. Malfunction of some kind?

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Reading the story, it sounds like the owner was stunting and may have figured out a way to trick the automation into ignoring the fact that there was nobody in the driver's seat. I suspect alcohol or Texas cowboy bullshit was involved.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
No, I think it's the inflexible nature of the laws of karma, of which the caste system is a part. In Hinduism, karma is as fundamental to understanding the world as is the law of gravity -- it's fundamental to the way everything works as far as Hinduism is concerned (and it's also one of these things that the more I found out about it from inside the culture, the more I realised how much I didn't know about it, and how mistaken a lot of my preconceptions were).
Okay, so the caste system isn't inflexible. I see.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Okay, so the caste system isn't inflexible. I see.
No, karma is inflexible, and caste is part of karma, so it's inflexible, but no more so than every other aspect of your destiny.

Caste is inflexible in Hinduism, but so is everything else that happens to you (because it's happened and you can't change that). The important thing is how you deal with the hand you're dealt.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
No, karma is inflexible, and caste is part of karma, so it's inflexible, but no more so than every other aspect of your destiny.

Caste is inflexible in Hinduism, but so is everything else that happens to you (because it's happened and you can't change that). The important thing is how you deal with the hand you're dealt.
So, tell me if I am reading this correctly, please? You are born, you have certain karma. This is irrefutable and inflexible? You can never advance through hard work or any other means. You MUST accept your lot in life?

You are expected to make the best of it as you may, but with no promise of EVER evolving upward in status, respect, income and so on? You are supposed to be happy on the bottom?

That's not unheard of, even in western democracies, people put their relationships above upward movement, but what happens if someone with higher status than you can murder one of your family with impunity? Would that not destroy your whole means of acceptance and cooperation? That seems to me, too big a cross to bear in the name of a caste/karma system.

Naturally, we have many parallels in current western society, as well.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
So, tell me if I am reading this correctly, please? You are born, you have certain karma. This is irrefutable and inflexible? You can never advance through hard work or any other means. You MUST accept your lot in life?

You are expected to make the best of it as you may, but with no promise of EVER evolving upward in status, respect, income and so on? You are supposed to be happy on the bottom?
You can't change your destiny, because it's either happened (you can't change who your parents were, or their material circumstances, or where and when you were born and so on) or it's happening or is going to happen (a pandemic breaks out, you live somewhere it's easy to get vaccinated or you don't , you catch Covid-19 or you don't).

And yes, you are supposed to evolve upwards, but in the next incarnation -- if following the Gitas brings you good things in this life, then that's great, but it's not the real reason. And if you behave like Donald Trump and his large adult children, then you're bringing shame and dishonour on the whole family (it's not Barron's fault his parents are who they are).

ETA: I'm hesitant to try to explain caste because I'm very conscious I don't understand it, and that the one thing every Indian I talked to agreed on was that you can't understand it unless you're Hindu, and it's pointless trying to, but from what I observed, in practical terms it was all very familiar -- no one had any difficult accepting me, because apart from not having been born a Hindu, I ticked all the right caste boxes -- from a middle-class professional family background, good school and education, good manners, well-read, particular cultural and intellectual interests, respectable professional career, and so on.

The details differ, but status and privilege are very real everywhere, and it's mostly hereditary, wherever you go.

Last edited:

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
That's a pretty good question. Malfunction of some kind?
Maybe the driver did a tuck and roll and abandoned the car and their friends before the crash then split town?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Former Vice President and U.S. Sen. Walter Mondale died on Monday in Minneapolis, a family spokesperson confirms to NPR. The Minnesota Democrat was 93 years old.

Mondale, who was known to his friends as "Fritz," endured a landslide loss when he challenged incumbent President Ronald Reagan in 1984. But his most lasting mark may be left on the vice presidency, an office with little stature until Mondale redefined it while serving as former President Jimmy Carter's influential number two.
Also the first presidential candidate with a female VP, NY Rep. Geraldine Ferraro.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The reaction to this is going to be fun.

I could never understand why Richard Dawkins would get awards for anything than his immense contribution to the study of genetics.

I remember a friend summed up The God Delusion for me back when first it was published and I asked him what it was about (he was a reviewer for one of the quality papers, so he got everything to read before it was published), by saying it was all good knockabout Bradlaughian god-bashing, and would have been very relevant had it been published 120 or so years earlier, but since Dawkins had clearly never bothered to read any major atheist philosophers or theorists since Marx or Nietzsche, or anyone since, it all seemed a bit dated.

Me, I could never see Dawkins getting wholeheartedly behind No gods, no masters, as a slogan, and nothing much he's written since has given me cause to change my views.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
And inventing the word "meme".
That's certainly proved a useful word to describe something that Dawkins wasn't thinking of when he coined it, but not so useful for other purposes, at least not for people who've read much about language and communication published in the last 60 or so years.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
This is a wrenching article, bringing back memories of an especially tumultuous time in the U.S. But what stood out to me the most -- because of the last 4-5 years -- was all the vitriolic hate that was aimed at the Kent State students. It's so easy to feel that the current bad times are something new, but only because time has blurred how hate permeated the past as well.

The Girl in the Kent State Photo
Back in Kent, Ohio, local business owners ran an ad thanking the National Guard. Mail poured in to the mayor’s office, blaming “dirty hippies,” “longhairs” and “outside agitators” for the violence. Some Kent residents raised four fingers when they passed each other in the street, a silent signal that meant, “At least we got four of them.” Nixon issued a statement saying that the students’ actions had invited the tragedy. Privately, he called them “bums.” And a Gallup poll found that 58 percent of Americans blamed the students for their own deaths; only 11 percent blamed the National Guard.