Nobody Cares: PRS

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
A situation a lot of UK reporters, and actors, are familiar with, yes?
People were surprised that Peter Capaldi was allowed to use his native Scottish accent in the role of the Doctor, and Jodie Whittaker her native Yorkshire accent. David Tennant, also Scottish, had to pay it more London-ish. And don't news reporters have to use the "posh" accent?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
A situation a lot of UK reporters, and actors, are familiar with, yes?
People were surprised that Peter Capaldi was allowed to use his native Scottish accent in the role of the Doctor, and Jodie Whittaker her native Yorkshire accent. David Tennant, also Scottish, had to pay it more London-ish. And don't news reporters have to use the "posh" accent?
Acting and news reporting are a bit different I think, at least in the UK, where actors are expected to have several regional accents in their repertoire -- that's part of the training at drama school, so you can play a variety of roles.

Newsreaders used to be expected to deliver the news in RP, but not any more, and there's certainly a wider variety of regional and local accents, but it's still pretty restricted. I don't listen to much news -- I prefer to read it -- but reporters certainly seem to have a wider variety of accents than they used to.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

ETA

ETA 2

“It does not appear to be terrorism-related, but obviously we'll continue to investigate to see if there's some type of nexus,” acting Metropolitan Police Chief Robert Contee said of the attack.

"Whoever or whatever, we just don't know right now, so we have a responsibility to investigate that to get to the bottom of this, whether the attack was at law enforcement or whoever, we have a responsibility to get to the bottom of it."

Pittman said the suspect was not previously known to Capitol Police “so there's no indication at this time that there's any nexus to any member of Congress.”

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Some cheerful news.

San Antonio-based hamburger chain Whataburger has awarded more than $90 million in bonuses to its employees as a thank you for their service during the coronavirus pandemic and severe winter weather that swept the South, according to a press release sent to TODAY.

“The past year reshaped how we live, work and play, with the restaurant and hospitality industry being heavily impacted by the pandemic and this year’s crippling winter storms. We are so humbled and grateful for the loyalty of our customers during this time,” Ed Nelson, Whataburger CEO, told TODAY in an emailed statement. “And we wanted to help ensure that our Family Members and their families were taken care of and thank them for continuing to go the extra mile to serve our guests with great Pride, Care and Love. Our Family Members and guests are the foundation of our success, and we are grateful for both.”

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Ellie

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
These are schools, not convents. Aside from the girls who have brothers, cousins and family friends, many girls schools have organized social events with equivalent boys schools. Remember, this isn't some new concept never tried before. Girls-only schools were quite common at one time.

What level of schooling are you talking about here? Viewed as inferior by who? Do you worry that someone who graduates from a girls-only elementary school or high school won't get into college?

At the higher levels, reputation certainly has never been an issue for colleges such as the Seven Sisters colleges in the U.S.
Sorry for the very late response. I saw your post and intended to get back to it, but completely forgot.

To answer your questions, I am speaking of college entry after the high school level and of corporate entry after college. The people who make these decisions may well have bias in that role. I guess it comes down to how well the all-girl schools would be implemented, financed and supported. If they remain, as they often are today, the province of the wealthy or of membership in certain religious groups, then their reputation would be high, I would think. If they were to be implemented in a manner similar to how we finance and support public school, it would be a different story. I do understand that there once was a great many all-girl schools, in particular those of religious institutions, and that some remain, with generally very high reputations. If this were to be done at a much, much larger level to encompass the majority of girls, would that remain the case? Separate but unequal wouldn't be anyone's goal, I reckon.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Green’s social media posts last month described searching for “a spiritual journey” within the Nation of Islam, a religious Muslim sect that the Southern Poverty Law Center classifies as a hate group for its “bizarre theology of innate black superiority over whites” and “deeply racist, antisemitic and anti-gay rhetoric.”