Nobody Cares: PRS

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
More than 160 people were killed yesterday after a tremendous landslide at a jade mine in a remote region of northern Myanmar.

About 12 hours after the landslide, the Myanmar Fire Services Department said it had recovered 162 bodies and that 54 people who were injured had been taken to the hospital for treatment. The death toll makes the disaster the worst known in the jade mining industry, surpassing an accident in 2015 that killed 113 people.

"The jade miners were smothered by a wave of mud, which hit after heavy rainfall," the Fire Service said, according to The Associated Press. Reuters says the victims were mostly "jade pickers" — people who sift through tailings to scavenge small bits of the semi-precious stone.

Maung Khaing, a 38-year-old miner from the area who witnessed the accident, told Reuters that he was about to take a photo of the precarious waste mound that he felt was set to collapse when people began shouting "run, run!"

"Within a minute, all the people at the bottom (of the hill) just disappeared," he told Reuters by phone.

"I still have goose bumps," he said. "There were people stuck in the mud shouting for help but no one could help them."

According to Reuters, a local official had warned people not to go to the mine on Thursday because of heavy rain.
There is video of the event. No deaths are seen from its perspective but the scope of the event is clear:

This video has its own value; it's the only video I'm aware of that captures the creation of a megatsunami. A megatsunami is different from a "normal" tsunami insofar as regular tsunamis are caused by vertical movement in a seafloor while megatsunamis are much more localized and are caused by huge landslides suddenly displacing a body of water. In this case the landslide was into a lake, and in the video you can see how high up the dirt wall opposite the landslide the water gets pushed. A very similar event (but involving more moving earth and more water) displaced the artificial lake behind the Vajont Dam in Italy in 1963. The megatsunami caused by that landslide overtopped the dam - which was high between two mountains - and the water went on to destroy five villages in the valley below and kill more than 2,000 people.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
A headline you don't see every day:

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
NOOOOOOOOOO one of my guilty pleasures is listening to True Patriots play "Born in the USA" at their political rallies!!! The Federalist is ruining everything!!!! :(

I mean, there's still people playing "Every Breath You Take" at weddings, and treating McLachlan's "Angel" like a comforting spiritual ballad, but neither one of those has the same effect. :(

• 1Beer
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yeah I dunno how but right-siders have really latched onto this whole "BLM are marxist communists" kind of thing. I seriously don't know where this came from - I mean it seems to be inspired by all the talk about "defunding police" but I don't know where you get communism out of that, all of the past and present communist countries I can think of off the top of my head were policed AF. I don't think BLM approves of what China's police have done to protesters in Hong Kong for instance.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yeah I dunno how but right-siders have really latched onto this whole "BLM are marxist communists" kind of thing. I seriously don't know where this came from - I mean it seems to be inspired by all the talk about "defunding police" but I don't know where you get communism out of that, all of the past and present communist countries I can think of off the top of my head were policed AF. I don't think BLM approves of what China's police have done to protesters in Hong Kong for instance.
Specifically, I've seen references to UKBLM, but I gather they're independent of BLM internationally, and the two groups don't always see eye-to-eye (to say the least)
We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world. We build deep relationships across the diaspora and strategise to challenge the rise of the authoritarian right-wing across the world, from Brazil to Britain.

Here's the Telegraph in full white panic mode at the threat of Black Marxists -- reminds me of when they used to say the same about the ANC in apartheid South Africa.

The form of words that appears on most online posts connected to the group riffs on ‘the black radical tradition’ which counts among its past contributors the Black Panther Movement and Malcom X. BLM happily self-identifies as a neo-Marxist movement with various far left objectives, including defunding the police (an evolution of the Panther position of public open-carry to control the police), to dismantling capitalism and the patriarchal system, disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure, seeking reparations from slavery to redistribute wealth and via various offshoot appeals, to raise money to bail black prisoners awaiting trial. The notion of seizing control of the apportionment of capital, dismantling the frameworks of society and neutralising and undermining law enforcement are not just Marxist, but anarchic.