Nobody Cares: PRS

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Lengthy but very interesting essay on how and why some people choose to collaborate with an oppressive system, and what motivates people (including former collaborators) to resist, in which she analyses the behaviour of US Republicans alongside, among others, politicians and writers in East Germany and Communist Poland.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
They don't represent the views of all white people. :hellokitty:

(Am I trying to be too clever here?)
Not all white ppl support trump/are racist but pretty much all people who support trump/are racist are white.
Because all this shit is primarily about protecting and preserving white privilege and property.

PS I am white.

Last edited:
  • 1Taco
Reactions: Free

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
ermagerd, muserk

Why this thread? Because not far down the comments are a bunch of people talking about life in the USSR and life in Yugoslavia before 1990s, and the cultural bits.

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Fascinating thread on how people's words are reported on the meda and the relationship between the report and the actual words uttered:

It highlighted for me a lot of things I knew already about the nature of reported speech (a topic in which I've always been interested, along with the instrumental use of language in general) but I had never really looked at them so systematically.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I'm sure they'll get Windrushed out the door sooner or later.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Just noting for sentimental reasons.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Fascinating thread on how people's words are reported on the meda and the relationship between the report and the actual words uttered:

It highlighted for me a lot of things I knew already about the nature of reported speech (a topic in which I've always been interested, along with the instrumental use of language in general) but I had never really looked at them so systematically.
So they've given a guide to how to present someone's spoken words with the maximum seeming credibility while flat out lying about what was said.

I'll continue to rely on multiple sources, knowledge about those sources to estimate their prejudices depending on the situation, and hoping for the best.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'm sure they'll get Windrushed out the door sooner or later.
Since they're neither poor nor black, that's maybe not so great a risk as it might be, but certainly the announcement is pretty vague on the path to full citizenship.

At this point, though, I think the main intention is to try to deter the PRC from changing Hong Kong's special status -- HMG obviously doesn't particularly want a couple of million people to leave Hong Kong and settle here, and the PRC doesn't, either, (and neither do most of the residents of Hong Kong want to relocate) so I think at this point they're just trying to discourage the PRC from messing with the city's special status so everything stays the same for a bit (which the UK thinks is guaranteed by international treaty with the PRC, but the PRC doesn't see it quite that way).

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Arkady Arkright

For once, Boris Johnson appears to do the right thing

I expect he's looking after old friends like HSBC (or that's where he has his overdraft...).

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I'm very interested in the Hong Kong situation and what Johnson is up to because

There is also a streak of guilt that runs through the Conservative party about its treatment of Hong Kong citizens, and an admission that, under the leadership of Margaret Thatcher, the great cold warrior, it placed the people of Hong Kong into the hands of the Chinese Communist party in 1994.
After the handover, Hong Kong citizens ended up with a jerry-built halfway house. They could hold a British national overseas passport, providing them consular assistance and protection through UK diplomatic posts, but they would not have the automatic right to live or work in the UK. Those born after 1997 would have no rights.
I was also affected by that wicked witch's messing around with who was, or was not, a British Citizen.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann