Nobody Cares: PRS

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The Koch-funded Ferengi report that states that 77% of drug traffickers are US citizens, not illegal immigrants. Every once in awhile they surprise though their motives are likely because they profit heavily off the labor of illegal immigrants, at or below minimum-wage, of course.

77% of Drug Traffickers Are U.S. Citizens, Not Illegal Immigrants

I do see two potential points in which this report will be used to bolster the King's wall.

a) They will say that illegal immigrants % of the drug trade is disproportionate to their population.
b) They will cite this: "As Figure 1 shows, the share of drug traffickers who were illegal immigrants fell from 21 percent in 2012 to 16 percent in 2018. " as evidence that the King's tactics are working since the numbers have dropped since that bad, bad black man is no longer in office.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
A minor point in the overall incident, but the woman with the gun fired a warning shot. The bullet ricocheted off the pavement and then hit her assailant in the stomach. So no, she wasn't trying to kill the baby and didn't even intend to injure anyone. The decision to drop charges against her make sense. After that the charges veer off into crazyland.
This is when it helps to have justice done in open court -- that is, for the prosecution to have to explain why they're acting as they are, without hiding behind a grand jury who don't have to give any explanation of their decisions.

As I understand it, the police originally wanted to charge Ms Jemison, the shooter, with manslaughter, but the grand jury declined to indict her, presumably on the grounds that they thought no reasonable jury, properly directed, would be persuaded to the criminal standard that her discharging the gun into the ground in an attempt to scare Ms Jones (the woman who was shot and lost the baby) was anything but lawful self defence.

Since everyone seems to have agreed that the shooting was a complete accident -- Ms Jemison deliberately aimed at the ground and was presumably as shocked and surprised as everyone else at her shot's fatal consequences -- I really struggle to see how Ms Jones can properly be held responsible for the tragic outcome either. Yes, I can make out an argument for her responsibility and possibly it would fly in Alabama (I don't know -- it would probably be a non-starter in the UK but that's no more than an educated guess since I don't have the facts) but it seems really far-fetched, to the extent I can't imagine the prosecutor expected the judge to agree to hear it, and I'm left puzzled why she (I think the prosecutor is a woman but can't be bothered to look it up) bothered to trouble the court with it in the first place.

It's the sort of prosecution that would almost certainly cause judicial wrath, both for wasting the court's time and for its sheer cruelty towards the defendant, to descend upon the prosecutor on this side of the Atlantic.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
USDA honey bee research hit by Trump budget cuts

Washington (CNN)The US Department of Agriculture has suspended data collection for its annual Honey Bee Colonies report, citing cost cuts -- a move that robs researchers and the honeybee industry of a critical tool for understanding honeybee population declines, and comes as the USDA is curtailing other research programs.

It's also another step toward undoing President Barack Obama's government-wide focus on protecting pollinators, including bees and butterflies, whose populations have plummeted in recent years.

The annual survey, which started in 2015, gathers data on the number of honeybees per state by quarter, including those being lost with symptoms of colony collapse disorder, an issue that's made honeybees a darling of environmentalists and climate activists.

It is at least the third bee-related dataset to be suspended under the current administration.

"The decision to suspend data collection was not made lightly, but was necessary given available fiscal and program resources," according to a notice posted by the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Survey. The USDA would not provide a figure for how much the agency was saving by discontinuing the survey.
The suspension is "temporary," according to a USDA spokesperson, who did not say when or if it would be resumed. This year's report, scheduled to be released in August, will only include part-year data.

Outside groups that have been critical of the administration see the move as another way to undermine federal research.
"This is yet another example of the Trump administration systematically undermining federal research on food safety, farm productivity, and the public interest writ large," said Rebecca Boehm, an economist at the Union of Concerned Scientists.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows

Sid

Today I might do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Well, I had the feeling all my life I definitely ought to be a multi millionaires child.... who knows what happened in the hospital were I was born 🤪

• 1Hug
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The really sad part of this article is that I didn't realize I was reading the Beaverton until I saw this paragraph:

The debate between Canadian airlines and the federal government as to whether or not passengers are baggage has been raging since the 1980s, when Air Canada was privatized and immediately tore out all of the seats on their planes. Other airlines followed suit, and soon the government had to step in and mandate that all airlines provide seats, windows, and exactly 250 ml of Clamato for every passenger.
It was the Clamato that clued me in. Otherwise, the airlines are so callous about how they treat economy passengers I can totally see this as being possible.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I would have thought Big Ag was wealthy and powerful enough to keep bees a high priority. Or do they not need bees to pollinate their industrialized crops?
Sadly it's big ag that's causing their demise!

Industrial Agriculture is Killing US Honeybees

In a nutshell:

"In many cases, scientists have found evidence of almost all known bee viruses in the few surviving bees ... a sign that the insects' immune system may have collapsed."

Commercial honeybee populations appear to be stressed to the point where their natural immune systems are breaking down. Numerous features of commercial agriculture may contribute to this stress: pesticides, monoculture, genetically modified crops and the way commercial bees are raised and managed.

This last item is particularly salient. Most of us think of beekeeping as totally natural, but beekeeping itself has become industrialized. Pesticides are used to fumigate beehives and antibiotics are fed to bees to ward off disease. Hives are hauled long distances from field to field, further stressing the bees and exposing them to a wider variety of agricultural pesticides and genetically engineered crops.

The notion that the industrialization of beekeeping is contributing to colony collapse disorder is supported by the fact that organic beehives are thriving at the same time conventional hives are collapsing. Beekeeper Sharon Labchuk reported in Guerilla News Network in April that: "I'm on an organic beekeeping e-mail list of about 1,000 people, mostly Americans, and no one in the organic beekeeping world, including commercial beekeepers, is reporting colony collapse on this list."

A final bit of food for thought: Our dependence on non-native, factory-farmed honeybees has occurred because commercial agriculture has killed off native pollinators. Labchuk notes: "Commercial beekeeping today is just another cog in the wheel of industrial agriculture, necessary because pesticides and habitat loss are killing native pollinators, and vast tracks of monoculture crops aren't integrated into the natural landscape."

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
English far-right grifter (literally -- he's done time for fraud ) Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, alias Tommeh Robinson, looks as if he'll be heading back to prison very shortly.

He was serving 13 months for contempt of court when he was released on bail while awaiting a retrial after the Court of Appeal decided the original conviction was unsafe.

Anyway, the Court has now heard the retrial, found him guilty again, and provisionally intends to sentence him next Thursday, July 11, assuming pre-sentence reports are available by then.

And now Yaxley-Lennon is in a bit of a flap, fearing -- not without reason -- that he's about to be banged up again for a year or so:

Ahead of his sentencing hearing on Thursday, Robinson appeared on the InfoWars conspiracy channel to broadcast a message to the US president.

“I beg Donald Trump, I beg the American government, to look at my case,” he said on Monday. “I need evacuation from this country because dark forces are at work.”

Robinson claimed that he would be killed if he is jailed, alleging that British prisons are “controlled by jihadi gangs”.

“This is a direct appeal on behalf of my family – we love the United States, I have no future here [in Britain],” he added. “The country has fallen.”

Robinson ranted about “globalists”, the media and “political correctness”, accusing the British government of trying to “silence him”.

Host Alex Jones claimed that Mr Trump “would be watching” and vowed to send a video of Robinson’s appeal to the White House.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
What happens when your custom baby order goes wrong?

She gave birth to twins through IVF. But the babies weren’t hers, a lawsuit alleges.
Since there is no agreement between her and the biological parents, the children likely go back to the biological ones, and the woman gets a big settlement from the clinic.

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
Since there is no agreement between her and the biological parents, the children likely go back to the biological ones, and the woman gets a big settlement from the clinic.
Daniel, you're being literal. I was posing a larger question about the ethics of this entire field, rather than seeking a reply about the specifics of this case. However, as it happens, that's exactly what did happen. They were able to trace the DNA back to two different sets of parents using the same service, and presumably they did indeed want their biological child, even if it was delivered full-term into their arms.

But what if they didn't? Could they have refused to take a baby that was genetically theirs, but was implanted as an embryo into another woman who gave birth? What if one of the two babies had a birth defect and the natural parents hadn't been given an option to abort the pregnancy and were now dealing with a disabled child? What if their own purchased services had already resulted in a child and now they were unexpectedly dealing with two babies, only one of which had been planned for?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer