Nobody Cares: PRS

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Republican state Rep. Roger Reed expressed similar hesitations.

“I am a lover of history and especially a lover of the civil war period and regardless of what side people fought on, they were fighting for something they truly believed in,” Reed said, according to the Beacon. “Many of them were great Christian men on both sides. They fought hard and they were fighting for states’ rights as they saw them.”
One of those sides saw "state's rights" as a right to keep slaves, dingbat. "Great" "Christian" "Men" indeed.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Today in "Satire or Serious?":

This causes me Nerd Rage! The Metric system IS the official measuring system of the US Government, including the military! The US was one of the original signatories of the Metre Convention in 1875! And in fact, our "customary measures" are actually derived from metric measures. Our pound, foot and whatnot are standardized as various fractions or multiples of kg, meters, etc.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Today in "Satire or Serious?":

Fox News seem to have taken up a 20-year-old talking point derived from a now-defunct UK pressure group who had at least some cause for complaint -- unjustified but I can understand why they were unhappy -- back when some of their number were prosecuted back then for selling goods by imperial, not metric, measure: Metric Martyrs - Wikipedia

They're really running out of things to get upset about. What next? No smoking in bars and restaurants, which was introduced (at least here) at about the same time? Why are they bored with the War on Christmas? Hasn't the Donald won it for them yet? Or maybe he did, and they're stuck for stuff to grouch about.

Pamela

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I like imperial because it is based on human body parts — thumbs, steps, strides — so it is easier to estimate.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Despite the fact this was in NI at the height of The Troubles, it ended much better than would it have done in many contemporary US schools...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I like imperial because it is based on human body parts — thumbs, steps, strides — so it is easier to estimate.
This is not an argument for using imperial nowadays, obviously, but back when I was a kid and we didn't have pocket calculators (I think the first one I saw belonged to the father of a university friend of mine who was a very senior executive with DuPont in the UK back in the 1970s -- he''d bought it in the US for over $100 back then) we had to learn our multiplication tables and do mental arithmetic, and a lot of the time it's quicker and easier dealing with base 12 and base 16, in particular, than with base 10, at least if you're used to doing division and multiplication in your head using your tables.

As to the supposed naturalness of units of measurement, I think all systems have roughly similar "natural" equivalents -- you need measures that are "about a handful," or "about as long as my forearm" or whatever. Those need to be standardised if you're going to do much trading, but it doesn't really matter if the standardised units are "as long as the king's stride" or "a fraction of the distance between two known points" so long as we're agreed on what the unit is and where the reference measure is kept.

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
[climbs on hobbyhorse]
By the token of "natural" units of measure, the meter is as "natural" as the foot. When it was devised, the meter was a whole number division of the circumference of the Earth; of course, the circumference of the Earth has been better estimated now and the meter is no longer that. The meter has been redefined in terms of the number of wavelengths of a particular unique emission from a particular element when it is ionized to a certain energy level (if I remember correctly) so that anyone anywhere who needs a very accurate standard can provide herself with one. The struggle in the Systeme Internationale has been to provide such bases for all the S.I. units so that anyone anywhere (with some equipment) can provide themselves with an accurate standard unit of measure.

The S.I. system of units is so good that often, when trying to reconstruct or verify an equation in physics, I just set up the equation in terms of the units involved. This is more complicated to do in the Imperial/American system, since it usually involves unit conversion factors which always add an additional opportunity to screw things up.

[climbs off hobbyhorse]

• 1Thanks
  • 1Like
Reactions: Porsupah Ree and Ashiri

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows

I've found Discord's been interesting this way in ways that exchanging Skype contacts failed to do. I'm not sure if it's the ability to just idle in a room somewhere and see who shows up, old friends and people you just met in a guild, or if it's the volume of people gravitating away from Skype/Facebook.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
FYI:

Funnily enough, I find it's often atheists who fall for misinformation of this particular sort, along with modern "urreligion" theorists.

• 1Disagree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Innula Zenovka

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Dionysus also turned a ship full of sailors into dolphins, and turned pretty much everything into wine or grapes.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Ummm, he does know that Tom is fucking crazy right?

Like "I can summon the energy of someone on a mountian of coke being fed into me like that thing Bane has" crazy.
Mr. Bieber is, of course, well-known to be a paradigm of mental stability and good judgement.