Nobody Cares: PRS

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Ben Shapiro, who is regarded over here by people who've heard of him as someone whose popularity in the US is yet another proof of American Exceptionalism, rather like Sarah Palin, in that everyone except some Americans thinks he's an idiot, gets destroyed by Andrew Neil, a veteran British political journalist.

Neil is chairman of the group that owns the British Spectator magazine and is regarded as one of the BBC's most right-wing commentators.

It ends up with Shapiro angrily walking out of the interview.

Full 16 minute interview here:

At one point in the confrontation, when Shapiro complains about Neil's tough questioning, Neil makes the interesting point -- I don't know how fair it is -- that the BBC isn't like US television in that, while on US TV you tend to have right-wing presenters interviewing right-wingers and left-wing presenters interviewing left-wingers, here journalists give all political figures they interview a tough time, testing their arguments and assertions.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Point of contention: In the U.S. Ben Shapiro is near effectively a nobody. No one really listens to him, if they hear him at all.
But... Most of us live on a liberal merry-go-round, only seeing each other having a common experience. The BBC would have been unlikely to bother with him if he were truly unknown; he must be well known on the conservative carousel. What the interview pointed out is something that most of us have seen or even directly experienced: that many American conservative thinkers are very fragile. Shapiro's arguments rested on baseless assertions of popular conservative shibboleths. When he was confronted to explain and justify any of them, he couldn't and didn't like being questioned about them.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Point of contention: In the U.S. Ben Shapiro is near effectively a nobody. No one really listens to him, if they hear him at all.
I was vaguely aware of him from Twitter, but I gather he appears regularly in the NYT best-seller list, which must mean a fair number of people must have heard of him and like what they hear sufficiently to spend good money buying his books. Also he and his podcast are widely followed on social media, it seems.

There's been quite an argument on Twitter between Rob Burley, the programme's editor, and viewers. Some congratulate him on giving Neil the opportunity to test Shapiro's arguments (and show how they, and he, stand up under pressure) and some think it's irresponsible to give him a platform at all:

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
  • 2Interesting
Reactions: Govi and Brenda Archer

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
I was vaguely aware of him from Twitter, but I gather he appears regularly in the NYT best-seller list, which must mean a fair number of people must have heard of him and like what they hear sufficiently to spend good money buying his books.
People spend a lot of money of stuff that's not good for them. I could dig up a long list NYT bestsellers that are pretty much garbage. Shapiro is a scuff.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
People spend a lot of money of stuff that's not good for them. I could dig up a long list NYT bestsellers that are pretty much garbage. Shapiro is a scuff.
Oh, I agree. But there has to be a reason why someone decides to spend good money buying his books, which can't be that his customers are paid-for twitter bots. We can agree that lots of people spend money on harmful snake oil but clearly Shapiro seems to be selling a form of snake oil that appeals very much to people to whom that sort of thing appeals.

Tigar

A Most Inappropriate Tigar 🐯
SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
That reminds me of one time when I was explaining the lyrics from Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love” 💕 to another guy (we were about 18 or 19 n’ teh Hair Farce...)
He was all “WTF does ‘I wanna be your backdoor man’ mean anyway?”
I explained that meant he wanted the anal sex.
“That’s gay”
“Lol whut? How can a guy havin’ sex with a girl be gay?”
“It’s anal, queers have anal sex, so it’s gay.”
“Ohhhh.. Right... So, you don’t like blowjobs either then, right?”

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Fizzy!💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
Offtopic/ontopic everytime I hear that song I replace it wit "drinking a whole lotta blood BWWEEERRRRWW!!!" and imagine a vampire singing it.

And lol at your buddies logic there, with that kind of thinking everything is gay, also hell yeah, everything is gay!

Tigar

A Most Inappropriate Tigar 🐯
SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
OMG, men need to get over their damned insecurities! There'd be a lot less violence and wars in the world if it weren't for fragile masculinity!
Just speaking as one of the testosterone-based life forms, I’m very compfortable wif mai sexually.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Fizzy!💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
OMG, men need to get over their damned insecurities! There'd be a lot less violence and wars in the world if it weren't for fragile masculinity!
I wonder if he saw a decorated cake he'd lose his shit at the bakery.

"SPRINKLES?! CURSIVE WRITING??! RED FROSTING ROSES!?!!? WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY!!!? *agressive blow up due to never being allowed to feel anything but anger and contempt in life*

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows

Ben Shapiro, who is regarded over here by people who've heard of him as someone whose popularity in the US is yet another proof of American Exceptionalism, rather like Sarah Palin, in that everyone except some Americans thinks he's an idiot, gets destroyed by Andrew Neil, a veteran British political journalist.

Neil is chairman of the group that owns the British Spectator magazine and is regarded as one of the BBC's most right-wing commentators.

It ends up with Shapiro angrily walking out of the interview.

Full 16 minute interview here:

At one point in the confrontation, when Shapiro complains about Neil's tough questioning, Neil makes the interesting point -- I don't know how fair it is -- that the BBC isn't like US television in that, while on US TV you tend to have right-wing presenters interviewing right-wingers and left-wing presenters interviewing left-wingers, here journalists give all political figures they interview a tough time, testing their arguments and assertions.

Good followup take here:

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
He was all “WTF does ‘I wanna be your backdoor man’ mean anyway?”
I explained that meant he wanted the anal sex.
Really? All this time I thought a back door man was an illicit lover. Well thanks, Tigar, I'm still learning new things.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
At the time it would refer to anyone you did not want seen entering your house. Mostly for sexy times. Because neighbors could see who went in through your front door.
Yes. that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for fixing it for me.