Nobody Cares: PRS

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Can't we be equally alarmed by both?
It would depend on why the alarm.
A: Worry about military threat? <-- lol, a bit far away for a rocket base, but okay.
B: Ain't no slanty eyed yeller people taking the moon which belongs to AMERICA! <-- not fine

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
C. Spacing their pee and poop over the continental U.S.
Ever wonder why you occasionally feel a drop or three of "rain" on a cloudless day? Just because you didn't hear it fly over doesn't mean it didn't.

Don't look up.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
A judge told a 72-year-old man who has cancer that he 'should be ashamed' of himself after he said he was too weak to keep up with his lawn (msn.com)

A Michigan judge berated a 72-year-old man on Monday after he told her he had failed to keep up with the maintenance of his yard because his cancer treatments made him very weak.

In a video of the exchange, Burhan Chowdhury, of Hamtramck, Michigan, can be heard struggling to breathe as he explained his situation to 31st District Judge Alexis G. Krot.

"You should be ashamed of yourself," Krot could be heard saying in the video. "If I could give you jail time on this, I would."

She then issued him a $100 fine, adding: "You've got to get that cleaned up. That is totally inappropriate."

The man's son, Shibbir Chowdhury, 33, who appeared with his father for the Zoom hearing, spoke up to clarify that his father was sick and that the property had already been cleaned up.

"Do you see that photo?" Krot asked. "That is shameful. Shameful. The neighbors should not have to look at that."

The lack of empathy and compassion is disturbing.

bubblesort

I don't know what to make of this headline. I mean, yeah, hiring more minorities is a very good thing! At the same time... does it really count if those hires all work from home so the white people never have to interact with them? Is this an admission that their in person hiring process was more racist than their lockdown remote work hiring process?

Also, lately, I keep seeing a resurgence of the term 'latinx'. I thought latinos and latinas made it clear that they hate that term. It also just sounds stupid. Any speaker or author who says 'latinx' is announcing to the world that they couldn't be bothered to learn even speak basic spanish. I mean, I admit, my spanish is bad. Embarrassingly bad sometimes. At the same time, I at least know that '-x' is not a valid suffix in spanish. So yeah, I judge people who say 'latinx', as uneducated, ignorant, and too insulated from normal society to actually talk to real latin people.

Free

Chatting with JFK Jr.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I don't know what to make of this headline. I mean, yeah, hiring more minorities is a very good thing! At the same time... does it really count if those hires all work from home so the white people never have to interact with them? Is this an admission that their in person hiring process was more racist than their lockdown remote work hiring process?

There's probably some percentage of that to explain the increases. With less face to face, in person interviews, which introduces a point to insert regular human biases... But I'd also like to think remote work opens up opportunities for certain groups of people. I mean you tend to avoid applying for a position with a company you can't get to in the first place, and minority communities tend to have less when it comes to options for commuting. For example, I don't recall exact numbers but I saw a survey a few years ago discussing the number of vehicles available per household. White, suburban ones tended to come out on top here (surprise) when having 2 or even 3. In the case of those without any vehicle, the percentages go up very often compared to the percentage of minorities within major metropolitan locations. And I think most of us get that having access to a bus or train doesn't really make things easier.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
What's behind the push for a fourth stimulus check (msn.com)

Despite that financial assistance, millions of Americans remain in financial distress, and the spread of the Omicron variant is creating new economic headwinds. More than one-quarter of Americans struggled to pay their household expenses in the previous week, according to new data from a Census survey that polled people during the first two weeks of December.

The unemployment rate stands at 4.2%, still higher than its pre-pandemic level of 3.5%. And while businesses are hiring, there are still about 2.3 million fewer people on payrolls today than before the pandemic. Economists are signaling alarm over the spread of the Omicron variant, which has closed college campuses and prompted the cancellation of high-profile events including Broadway shows.

The surge in COVID-19 cases is "hitting demand in the leisure, entertainment, travel and restaurant industries, as indicated by high-frequency data," said David Kelly, chief global strategist at JPMorgan Funds in a January 3 research note. "It will also lead to widespread absenteeism in early 2022, applying a significant drag to the economy in the first quarter, following a very strong fourth quarter.

At the same time, fiscal support for more than 30 million American families ended last month, with the final payment from the Child Tax Credit landing in bank accounts on December 15. Those checks — which provided up to $300 per eligible child — won't continue in 2022, as the Build Back Better Act, which included a one-year extension of the program, failed to progress due to opposition from Senator Joe Manchin, a Democrat from West Virginia.

For many people, in short, stimulus aid is long gone, an issue that is on the minds of many Americans who continue to struggle with joblessness and a weak labor market. Indeed, almost 3 million people have signed a Change.org petition started last year that calls on lawmakers to pass legislation for recurring $2,000 monthly payments.
People are still signing that Change.org petition.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Or adopt the tactic of the British show Have I Got News For You, when the Rt Hon Roy Hattersley MP failed to show for the third time in a row (about 2 minutes in)

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
So a sliver of good news for Ohio's redistricting:
tl:dr Republicans intentionally blew up the voter-approved redistricting commission, which threw the process to the state Legislature, where a Republican-only map passed for the next 4 years (commission maps if approved or a bipartisan Legislative map would last the standard 10 years).

They main issue is that the voter-approved amendment requires that parties should have a chance to elect a Legislature that closely matches the state's partisan split (averaging 54-46 over the last 10 years) which was ignored to draw districts that virtually guarantee a Republican supermajority with 67 seats in strong Republican majority districts of the 99 State House districts and a similar advantage on the Senate side.

The ruling on Ohio's Federal House redistricting is pending. They have a likely advantage in 12 of 15 House districts under the proposed maps.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Evernote link

Over here we can, and do, try cases in the defendant's absence under certain circumstances -- the defendant can't frustrate the trial process by voluntarily absenting herself, any more than she could by refusing to leave her cell, if she's held on remand.

The law here takes the attitude that defendants have a right to silence, and a right not to participate at all in their defence, so if she chooses to exercise it, that's her decision.

If anyone's interested there's a summary of the rules here, at 3-3 Trial in the absence of the defendant.

Judges don't like doing it, but in a case like this, where it would be difficult to conclude her failure to attend is anything but voluntary and that an adjournment will not help resolve the matter, I suspect the judge will decide it's in the interests of public justice to proceed without her.

As I understand it from what I've read, this would have been the initial hearing before the magistrates, who would remit it directly to the Crown Court, so it makes sense to postpone it while the arrangements for the trial are still under discussion, because once the case starts, there's a timetable to which everyone is supposed to adhere, and in complex cases like this, judges like to have the administrative arrangements tied down beforehand rather than to have to keep on adjourning the case for multiple case management hearings.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi