Nobody Cares: PRS

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Now I have to look up cast iron pizza because yummzo

Sovereignty

SL Rez
The other systemic problem is Medicare (which is separate from Medicaid) pays a better rate, because it is a plan for regular retirees, not poor people. But it only pays nursing home care for a limited time (max of 100 days) *after* a hospital stay. The idea is you go to the nursing home for a time after you get out of the hospital to finish recovering, and then go home. So nursing homes have an incentive to send patients back to the hospital, so they can restart medicare payments and get the higher rates.
Interesting info.

The reason for Cuomo's order and exactly what effect it had was never explained in the Q&A of his briefings. One reporter would ask the same question day after day (literally) and day after day Cuomo would give the same answer. The point of the order was never stated or explored. I guessed that the nursing homes wanted to keep clients (was going to say bodies but doesn't sound right) and did not want to tell the state to send the patient elsewhere. Of course, I'm not sure that Cuomo really had better alternatives.

Meanwhile, today Chris Hayes retweets gossip about working for Cuomo and some dark rumors. Are they true? Don't know.

I admit I was grateful for Cuomo's daily news conferences last spring. He beat the pants off all of Trump's minions. A friend warned me that people responded the same way to Bobby Jindal in Louisiana after Katrina. Jindal had some state job, and people loved his news conferences so much they elected him governor. They then found out he was a heartless bastard.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: WolfEyes
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Australia passed a law that companies such as Google and Facebook who link to and provide snippets of news from other organization's web pages have to pay. They defined news extremely widely.

core news content means content that:
19 (a) is created by a journalist; and
20 (b) that records, investigates or explains issues that:
21 (i) are of public significance for Australians; or
22 (ii) are relevant in engaging Australians in public debate
23 and in informing democratic decision-making; or
24 (iii) relate to community and local events.
Google paid up. Facebook removed all the links. NPR explains the situation better than I can in a two sentence summary.

Some news sources in Australia are unhappy about it.

There are a lot of people having a fit that Facebook decided not to bargain. As I see it, it is just a business decision. If Facebook feels the law is crappy and doesn't want to pay publishers to provide links to their content too bad for those publishers, especially I have no tears for those who lobbied for this badly written law. As it stands if read literally, VVO would have to pay a tax on posts that reference Australian news.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The DHS confirmed that American Neo-Nazi-Leader Rinaldo Nazzaro once worked form them. Nazzaro, the leader of the group "The Base", is currently living in Russia and in a video held a DHS letter lauding him for his service as well as two by the US Marine Corps. Canada considers his group as terrorists.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

It's the standard Republican "rules for thee, but not for me."

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Conservative (when it comes to what he does for a living) data driven investment guy isn't much for right wing economics.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

(That's the UK's Supreme Court, of course).

ETA

More detailed coverage in Financial Times

ETA II: More detailed coverage still -- big implications for the UK's gig economy overall.

Last edited:

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I find this so disgusting and vile. Here’s the Twitter thread (below), and a link to news on it, but it made me look up Biden’s stance on abortion.

"And the only thing, the only responsible response to that would be to pass legislation making Roe the law of the land. That’s what I would do."

Not sure how realistic that is, but let us hope.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Google has fired its second AI researcher, Margaret Mitchell. There was little reason given for the dismissal according to Mitchell. Google declined to comment.

The company said Mitchell’s firing followed disciplinary recommendations by investigators and a review committee. It said her violations “included the exfiltration of confidential business-sensitive documents and private data of other employees”. The investigation began Jan. 19.

Google employee Alex Hanna said on Twitter the company was running a “smear campaign” against Mitchell and Gebru, with whom she worked closely. Google declined to comment on Hanna’s remarks.