Nobody Cares: PRS

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
British Museum realises 'vase' is in fact an ancient mace-head displayed upside down

Inspired by some contemporary photographs shot in southern Iraq, the British Museum has mounted No Man’s Land (until 27 January), a small exhibition attesting to man’s chronic inability to exist peacefully within agreed borders. The exhibition showcases three ancient objects that tell the story of the first recorded border conflict, a clash between two Sumerian city states in the third millennium BC, while juxtaposing them with the modern photographs.
In a bit of serendipity, the curators realised during research for the show that an object they had long assumed was a vase had actually been displayed upside down. They now understand that it is actually the head of a fired-clay mace, or heavy club, made for King Gishakidu of Umma. After comparing the object with a similar one at Yale University, “we realised how daft we’d been”, says Irving Finkel, a co-curator of the show.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
Why some women fear the self-serve gas station - The Globe and Mail

The first rule is straightforward: The self-service pumps are not Tinder, Grindr or any other kind of dating app. The other drivers are there for the same reason you are – to purchase gasoline. Do not hit on people at the gas pump. Just serve yourself some gas and get on with your day. Sadly, if you’re using the self-serve as your personal hook-up spot, you’re also using the grocery store, your place of employment and virtually every other place you go in similar fashion. This may be why everyone hates you.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Judge who failed field sobriety test not arrested for DUI

Lundell, who sat on the bench in St. Croix County for nearly three decades, had abruptly resigned his seat weeks before the traffic stop. He was still on the payroll at the time, but was not hearing cases.

5 EYEWITNESS NEWS first reported Wednesday that Lundell's resignation, which was effective Jan. 1, came while he was under internal investigation for sexual harassment.

After cleaning out his chambers on Dec. 8, Lundell was pulled over shortly before 1 p.m. after he clipped a pole next to an ATM.

"Here's what's going on, Brad," Lundell said, addressing Sgt. Brad Kusmirek by first name.

"My wife left me. I'm having a really bad time and I decided to retire... I don't need this."

"Just give me one police courtesy one time in my whole career. If you want to ride with me home, fine. C'mon, Brad," he said, again addressing the sergeant by his first name.

Officer Luke Radke explained why the judge's request was problematic.

"I'm going to handle this like I would for anyone else," Radke said. "I understand you want some police courtesy right now, but if I get caught, or it gets released to the media that I didn't do my job because of who you are, my career is over."

The 71-year-old judge declined to perform at least one of the field sobriety tests, citing his age, but eventually agreed to stand on one leg – a test he failed.

At that point, Radke and Kusmirek agreed not to arrest Lundell.

"Based on your age, I don't feel comfortable arresting anyone based off a one-leg stand," Radke told the judge.

However, the officers did ask the judge to take a breathalyzer with the understanding he would be allowed to drive home if he blew under a .04.
"Well, if you're not going to arrest me, then sure," Lundell said.

The judge then blew a .129. The officers allowed him to call for a ride home.

Michael Nieskes, the St. Croix County District Attorney, said he has asked another prosecuting agency to determine whether the officers gave Lundell special treatment.

In an interview, Hudson Police Chief Geoff Willems defended his officers' handling of the traffic stop, and said the judge was not given the police courtesy he requested.

"In this case, the officer didn't feel he had the probable cause to arrest," Willems said. "He didn't do anything wrong. He still followed the procedure."
Asked whether he would have arrested the judge, Willems said "maybe".

"Anytime you have different officers, different experience levels, different training, you have a potential for a different outcome," he added.
So what kind of different training leads an officer to decide there's no probable cause to cite a driver who blows half-again the legal limit after hitting a utility pole?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
A 13-year-old girl who has been missing ever since her parents were found shot to death in their Wisconsin home this past October, has been found alive and her alleged abductor is in police custody as well.

She was found Thursday afternoon in Gordon, Wisconsin, a town about 66 miles north of where Jayme was last seen, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said.

A suspect was taken into custody about 10 minutes after authorities found Jayme, the sheriff's office said.

No more details were immediately available but authorities have said they will hold a news conference Friday morning.

Jayme vanished October 15, and her parents, James and Denise Closs, were found fatally shot in their home near Barron, a town of 3,300 in northwestern Wisconsin.

Investigators say a mysterious 911 call led deputies to discover the bodies. The call was "pinged" to the Closs home. When the dispatcher called the number back, a voice mail greeting indicated the phone belonged to Denise Closs. The log does not indicate who made the 911 call, but the dispatcher heard yelling in the background.

Police arrived to find the door kicked in but no one was there. Investigators said they believed Jayme was at home during the shooting.
Local news sources have said that Closs escaped from her abductor and sought help from a passerby, who summoned police.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Free

I am your polar opposite opposite
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
U.S. Approved Thousands of Men's Child Bride Requests in the Past Decade
Thousands of requests by men to bring in child and adolescent brides to live in the United States were approved over the past decade, according to government data obtained by The Associated Press. In one case, a 49-year-old man applied for admission for a 15-year-old girl.

The approvals are legal: The Immigration and Nationality Act does not set minimum age requirements. And in weighing petitions for spouses or fiancees, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services goes by whether the marriage is legal in the home country and then whether the marriage would be legal in the state where the petitioner lives.
Maybe that wall will work here...

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts