Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'd never thought of this as a reason why the US is such an outlier, in that it doesn't have a publicly funded healthcare system .
After the Civil War, white leaders deliberately kept health care away from black communities. For decades, former slave states wielded political influence to exclude black workers from the social safety net, or to ensure that the new wave of southern hospitals would avoid black communities, reject black doctors, and segregate black patients. “Federal health-care policy was designed, both implicitly and explicitly, to exclude black Americans,” wrote the journalist Jeneen Interlandi for The New York Times’ 1619 Project.

This is one reason why the U.S. still relies on employer-based insurance, which black people have always struggled to access. Such a system “was the only fit for a modernizing society that could not abide black citizens sharing in societal benefits,” wrote my colleague Vann Newkirk II.

But, of course, it's the obvious reason, too, why the US is also an outlier when it comes to imprisoning people -- as Jason Stanley explains, in How Fascism Works,
There has scarcely been a time in history when one group has composed so much of the world’s prison population; black Americans may be only 13 percent of the U.S. population, but they are 9 percent of the world’s prison population.

If the system of justice in the United States were fair, and if the 38 million black Americans were as prone to crime as the average ethnic group in the world (where an ethnic group is, for example, the 61 million Italians, or the 45 million Hindu Gujarati), you would expect that black Americans would also be about 9 percent of the 2013 estimated world population of 7.135 billion people. There would then be well over 600 million black Americans in the world. If you think that black Americans are like anybody else, then the nation of black America should be the third-largest nation on earth, twice as large as the United States.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Thread (very long)

I found this really interesting, particularly when she gets on to the presentation of Judaism in the New Testament (scribes and pharisees) and the actual religious and political situation in Jerusalem at the time, and who the pharisees were, and what they actually taught.

Tl;dr ... if I properly understand the argument, Jesus was himself a pharisee, and saying nothing that the pharisees themselves weren't saying, and the gospels' characterisation of the Jews as the Other in the narrative, and shifting the blame for the crucifixion from the Roman occupiers to the Jewish religious authorities is because, by the time the Gospels came to be written, the intended audience were Romans, not Jews.