🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?

In 2015/2016 I was so infuriated with the political situation. There were people on SLU that made me crazy too. I went incognito for a year with two different av's.

People seem much more reasonable this time around on VVO.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Why do these snow communists hate Freedumb?

When I got my first job at a McDonald's, the corporate-provided new-employee materials, as well as policy wall-posters (also provided by corporate) in the office by the clock, said in no uncertain terms that if you feel sick, should NOT come to work. People who are sick are exactly not the people you want to be preparing food for the public.

On the other hand, the managers never hesitated to demand a doctor's note of anyone who called off and expected it on the day you returned to work. The thing is, in the US, you are very fortunate if you're able to call your PCP and get an appointment sometime that week let alone that day or the next day - sometimes the next clear appointment slot is a month away. And this was just a bit before the days of widespread urgent care clinics; your only option to be seen today was to go to the hospital emergency room - a visit which your insurance won't cover if it's not a "real" emergency, and which also strains ER resources (this whole thing is why urgent care clinics were eventually invented in the first place). So the message was very clear - if you're not so sick that you're willing to eat the substantial cost of an ER visit to get a note, then your ass had better come to work, sick or not. This is very self-evidently not what is implied by the corporate policy, but nobody in charge cared.

The existence of urgent care clinics now, probably makes obtaining doctor notes a little easier - but whether or not, I have no reason to believe the unwritten-policies-conflicting-with-"official"-posted-corporate-policies thing has changed at all.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Young climate activists honored at Standing Rock

FORT YATES, N.D. — Nearly 500 Indigenous students stood in a circle surrounding two 16-year-old climate activists and their fathers Tuesday morning, Oct. 8, in the Standing Rock High School gym.

A medicine man blessed the girls — Tokata Iron Eyes and Greta Thunberg — in what’s known as a smudging ceremony. Then, a circle of men played the drum as everyone in the gym slowly turned to face the four sacred directions.

One of the drummers, Hans Young Bird Bradley, of the Standing Rock Environmental Protection Agency, said the tribe has “no choice but to support them, hold them up” on their mission to spread awareness about climate change.

“We shouldn’t leave it on the back of two little girls to do this,” he said. “It’s too much weight to carry for them. It should be all of us doing our part.”

Thunberg met Tokata Iron Eyes — one of the Standing Rock citizens who helped garner support for the Dakota Access oil pipeline protests in 2016 through the Rezpect Our Water campaign — at a September event at George Washington University.

The two activists became friends from there, and Iron Eyes invited Thunberg to her homelands. First, the two visited the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota Sunday, then protested the Keystone XL oil pipeline Monday before heading to Standing Rock.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
The existence of urgent care clinics now, probably makes obtaining doctor notes a little easier - but whether or not, I have no reason to believe the unwritten-policies-conflicting-with-"official"-posted-corporate-policies thing has changed at all.
In Houston at least it's hard to find an urgent care clinic that isn't a storefront "emergency room" pretending to be an urgent care clinic. Because of course.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
In Houston at least it's hard to find an urgent care clinic that isn't a storefront "emergency room" pretending to be an urgent care clinic. Because of course.
Yes, these people are slime taking advantage of both crowded ER situations and people looking for just doctor office level urgent care.

You thought it was an urgent care center, until you got the bill

I noticed that our Walgreens has a sort of walk in clinic (I haven't tried it yet other than getting my flu shot.) I wonder if they would give someone a note for something like a cold where they prescribed antibiotics etc.?

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Also the one time I used an actual urgent care center they said they basically only handle "fender benders" and anything more than cuts and bruises was beyond their abilities. And then they sent me to the hospital emergency room. So they're not even doctors.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Also the one time I used an actual urgent care center they said they basically only handle "fender benders" and anything more than cuts and bruises was beyond their abilities. And then they sent me to the hospital emergency room. So they're not even doctors.
Quite true imo.
Years back I woke up with a swollen spot on my arm that was itching like crazy. Instead of going to the ER, I went to a urgent "care" close by. I spent almost the whole day there having tests done that resulted in "we don't know what it is, you should go to the ER. We can take you there in our ambulance". So wasted an entire morning/afternoon and got out of there and into the ER that evening. Insane price charge for what littlke they did (blood tests, iv fluids for hydration) and no way was I going to pay them hundreds of dollars for a 10 minute drive to the ER.

The ads play them as being doctors and able to handle broken bones and such but instead they are about as effective as a MASH cosplayer.

Go tot he ER, save yourself some money and time if you can. I got to the ER, they looked at my arm, immediately admitted me, got bagged with heavy antibiotics and spent a week in observation as their tests quickly revealed I had a staph infection in my arm. To this day whenever I get an itchy arm, I have a mild panic attack until I confirm there is no swelling.

Fuck urgent care.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009