Nobody Cares: PRS

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Another entry in our award winning series "America - the best democracy money can buy":

IRS: Sorry, but It’s Just Easier and Cheaper to Audit the Poor
Congress asked the IRS to report on why it audits the poor more than the affluent. Its response is that it doesn’t have enough money and people to audit the wealthy properly. So it’s not going to.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
It would not change the fact though that the IRS is heavily underfunded in terms of its budget. If taxing the rich properly would be a priority it would need a bigger budget.
It's underfunded on purpose. That way the rich people who cheat on their taxes have a better chance of getting away with it.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
It would not change the fact though that the IRS is heavily underfunded in terms of its budget. If taxing the rich properly would be a priority it would need a bigger budget.
If they get to keep what they extract from audits (over some margin so they didn't just keep going nuts on poor people) they'd have that budget.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Not much hope there, then, particularly since a conviction for causing death by dangerous driving almost inevitably results in a prison sentence.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Arkady Arkright and Govi

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
A woman boarded a Delta flight out of Orlando on Saturday without an ID or a boarding pass, and authorities are trying to figure out how she did it.

According to a police report about the incident, the woman was asked to show her boarding pass when she was found to be sitting in another passenger's seat.

Several Delta employees, including the pilot, reportedly tried to get her to leave the seat, but she wouldn't budge.

"She said very bluntly, 'I'm not moving,'" Jenni Clemons, the passenger whose seat was taken by the woman, told WFTV.
Hey, she totally got past the 200 meter hurdle that is today's onboarding procedures. If I'd done that, I'd refuse to give up my seat, as well.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Now that the driver's name has been released, there are also oblique references to her husband's work, which in the vernacular boils down to "he's a spy."

Or was. I'd venture that the glare of publicity he is currently sharing with his wife has blasted his security cover to smithereens. Even if he's not directly involved in any undercover operations, the notoriety of her actions will always draw too much attention to his presence in a foreign country. And he could never be posted to a country that might deport his wife to the U.K.

It was a careless mistake with tragic consequences that will haunt both families for the rest of their lives.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Four dead, five wounded in Kansas bar shooting

Really, in this day and age it isn't even worth clicking the link. What I find remarkable is a story like that doesn't even make the front page anymore. I checked The Washington Post, Google news, CNN, and even NBC news where the story is from.
Presidential candidates and mass shootings need to be in the double digits before anyone will pay attention to them.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Here's the development of the American income tax rates over the decades. Spoiler: the lower incomes indeed today mostly higher rates than the top ones.

I just posted a graph the other day from the economist mentioned by the Times, Zucman. It shows the rich getting richer the last few decades. That's a direct result of them being taxed less. Since they don't have to spend all their income on necessities, they can plow the untaxed income into more investments.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Now that the driver's name has been released, there are also oblique references to her husband's work, which in the vernacular boils down to "he's a spy."

Or was. I'd venture that the glare of publicity he is currently sharing with his wife has blasted his security cover to smithereens. Even if he's not directly involved in any undercover operations, the notoriety of her actions will always draw too much attention to his presence in a foreign country. And he could never be posted to a country that might deport his wife to the U.K.

It was a careless mistake with tragic consequences that will haunt both families for the rest of their lives.
It's something more than a careless mistake, I think.

Thousands of motorists every day emerge from the ferry terminals on both sides of the Channel and North Sea ports and manage to cope with having to drive on the wrong side of the road.

We don't know the facts, of course, but from the police and political reaction I'd imagine they're looking at a charge of causing death by dangerous driving, which is when "the standard of driving falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver and it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous."

There's a less alternative, causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving, which some people have criticised as criminalising accidents, since careless driving is when there's a brief lapse from the standards expected of an experienced and careful driver, but that doesn't sound likely, judging by the speed and vehemence of the police and political reaction.

The basic distinction is pretty simple, in fact; as someone I know who prosecutes this kind of case once put it, the jury have to ask themselves, "If I were driving along and saw someone driving the way the defendant did, would I say, 'Gosh! That was a bit risky' or would I say 'Bloody hell! That's downright dangerous!'?"