Nobody Cares: PRS

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I feel very old indeed now.

My ex had a Hasselblad camera and a Pentax with a K mount and I got to play with them and learn about photography.

Playing with developing is fun too.

Old lol.
I took photography in high school, and learned about film development and printing, using a darkroom. I got to roam around the campus with my school-loaned Pentax K1000 loaded up with black-and-white film taking pictures of stuff during class. Some of my pictures got printed in the school newspaper (I was also taking a journalism class that happened to be in the same classroom).

Digital photography is nice, but just isn't quite the same.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I have my darkroom setup in the attic (in a box). Still have four Pentax bodies (screw mount manual through digital SLR), a Mamiya C33, and a Kodack Retina II C. I had a 4x5 press camera for a while, but it wasn't the kind of thing I wanted to haul around for urban landscape in dodgy neighborhoods.

• 1Like

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

This story really saddens me. Yes, I get all the arguments that she's made herself a very widespread and disruptive campaign of civil disobedience and has made highly contentious figure and has created for herself a campaigning online persona in social media.

That's the way the world is. I understand that.

However, something deep inside me is revolted that a newspaper columnist should launch that sort of attack on just about anyone, and particularly on someone who is, when all is said and done, a seventeen-year-old girl,.

There are some things people should not do, whatever the provocation they feel, and this is one of them.

It's unavoidable now, of course, but it's only recently become the case -- during Ms Thunberg's lifetime, I think -- and it already seems to portend a change for the worse.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

It is reckless, it is irresponsible, and it dramatically increases the possibility of another 2008-09 like disaster.

• 1Scared
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Police bust Amazon theft resale ring

According to a search warrant affidavit unsealed in U.S. District Court in Seattle and reviewed by The Associated Press, two storefront businesses posing as pawn shops bought the goods from shoplifters, then had the items shipped to Amazon warehouses, where they were stored until sold online.

No charges have yet been filed, though investigators have raided the pawn shops and the home of the man identified as the ringleader, Aleksandr Pavlovskiy, 44, of Auburn. A man who answered the door at one of the shops Wednesday identified himself as Alex and told The Associated Press his business was legitimate, that he kept good records and he should not be in any trouble.

Among those who provided stolen items to the pawn shops were two contract Amazon drivers, Kroshinsky said. Their job was to travel to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, pick up items being returned to the company and then bring them to an Amazon warehouse south of Seattle, and to deliver items to post offices for shipping. Instead, they routinely stole the goods and sold them to the pawn shops, she wrote.

The investigation began last summer when a police detective in Auburn, a south Seattle suburb, was perusing a record of pawn shop sales and noticed that one man had made 57 transactions. It turned out to be one of the drivers.

He had received nearly $30,000 selling items to the pawn shops between February and July last year, the affidavit said. Police initially arrested the driver, but released him from jail to avoid disrupting their larger investigation.

The other driver, identified as Abbas Zghair, was believed to be a roommate of the first. Amazon told investigators that Zghair stole about $100,000 worth of property, including gaming systems, sporting goods and computer products — items he sold to one of the pawn shops for less than $20,000, the agent wrote.

Both drivers worked for Amazon contractor JW Logistics, based in Frisco, Texas. It was unclear how long Zghair had worked for the company, but in 2015, he was convicted of reckless driving in Lewis County after leading police on a chase in excess of 100 mph (161 kph), running red lights, driving across multiple lanes of travel and crashing into a field.

Detectives staked out the pawn shops, Innovation Best in Kent and Thrift-Electro in Renton, and observed that they appeared to be paying shoplifters and drug users cash for new items from Home Depot, Lowes and Fred Meyer department stores. Unlike typical pawn shops, they didn’t make sales; instead, the products were moved to a warehouse and to Amazon “fulfillment centers,” from where they were shipped when they were sold on Amazon’s website by sellers using the handles “Bestforyouall” or “Freeshipforyou,” the affidavit said.

According to a database of pawnshop transactions reviewed by Auburn police, the suspect pawn shops paid more than $4.1 million to sellers who brought them nearly 48,000 items in the past six years. The items included allergy medication, razors, electric toothbrushes and tools in their original packaging. Detectives also conducted undercover operations in which they sold new items in their original packaging to the shops, which accepted them no questions asked, Kroshinsky wrote.

The FBI said it is awaiting more Amazon records to determine the full extent of Pavlovskiy’s enterprise, but that “estimated revenue from Amazon sales, for entities associated with Aleksandr Pavlovskiy, was at least $10 million since 2013.”
Amazon's electronic tracking must be lousier than I expected, if a driver who was supposed to be transporting packages was able to routinely just not deliver some of them and the missing items never be noticed by any humans or automated systems at Amazon.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Ran across a discussion online about how men who don't have children with them are afraid to hang out at playgrounds and watch other people's kids play because people around them might form judgments about their intentions that could lead to police being called on them, and how this is incredibly unfair because women, presumably, aren't subject to the same judgments if they do the same thing.

I don't know, maybe they have a point in theory, but I just can't bring myself to be sympathetic no matter how much I try. It's like, really? But I want to look at the children, let me look at the chiiiiillllldreeeeeennnn is the hill you're prepared to die on, my dudes?

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Police bust Amazon theft resale ring

Amazon's electronic tracking must be lousier than I expected, if a driver who was supposed to be transporting packages was able to routinely just not deliver some of them and the missing items never be noticed by any humans or automated systems at Amazon.
That's way more epic than the "I never got it" scam.

• 1Thanks

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Multiple fatalities being reported in El Paso Walmart shooting

A shooting at a shopping complex in El Paso, Texas has left multiple people dead, according to law enforcement. At least 18 people have been taken to local hospitals.

The shooting happened at a Walmart near the Cielo Vista Mall, according to NBC News affiliate KTSM.
At least one suspect was taken into custody. Earlier, there were reports that three people were in custody.

El Paso police said on Twitter at 1:03 p.m. ET that they were responding to a shooting at Hawkins and Gateway East. Multiple other law enforcement agencies were assisting, including the ATF and FBI.

Police said they have ruled out multiple shooters.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
It's unavoidable now, of course, but it's only recently become the case -- during Ms Thunberg's lifetime, I think -- and it already seems to portend a change for the worse.
As climate change becomes more obvious, the deniers are going to get more desperate, doubling-down in the face of disaster. To admit they've been wrong will be very difficult because it would mean acknowledging a very grim future for humankind, but also because they would have to admit they actively blocked attempts to remedy the situation.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
There's a name and an alleged "manifesto" going around that are supposedly of the El Paso mass shooter. As of the moment I'm posting this ( ~4:20pm CT) the police have not yet named ANY suspect, no matter what anybody is saying. They have only said that the person is custody is a white male in his 20's.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
There's a name and an alleged "manifesto" going around that are supposedly of the El Paso mass shooter. As of the moment I'm posting this ( ~4:20pm CT) the police have not yet named ANY suspect, no matter what anybody is saying. They have only said that the person is custody is a white male in his 20's.

Two things: 20 people dead, 24 injured in El Paso Walmart; shooting suspect held

El Paso, with a population of 840,758, is about 83 percent Hispanic, the according to a U.S. Census report in 2018.
"The manifesto narrative is fueled by hate and it's fueled by racism, bigotry and division," said Escobar, who represents the El Paso area. "This is someone who came from outside our community to do us harm."
Assuming that they know where the man is from, it's a good bet that he indeed did go there with a purpose in mind, given the comment about it being someone outside the community. We'll see later about this manifesto.

If it does turn out to be a racist manifesto, you know whose head I lay this upon.

• 1Thanks

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Some numbnuts on Twitter is trying to defend Trump by saying the shooter had "severe mental illness that hasn't been addressed", and therefore couldn't possibly be Trump's fault.

Oh, really?

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi