Nobody Cares if it's Off Topic

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Wow, just came across a letter sent to my grandmother (deceased now) in 1993. A man in Wisconsin was doing genealogical research on her father's family. That would be my great grandfather, who originally came from Germany. He wrote 3 volumes, 1500 pages, 43,000 people, and this was in 1993. They were spread all about Wisconsin and the majority are still there despite some coming to MN and IA. They went forth and propagated plentifully.

Lol, better be careful who I sleep with. :)

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I recently went through several hours of creative profanity on the phone getting a couple of bills put in Mrs Quandry's name so she would have proof of address and some independent credit history because utility companies can't add a fucking field in their antiquated databases for a second account holder. In both cases we had to close the existing account and open a new one.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Oh yes, this is really last century!

We had all our important mail going to the PO box because in our previous house we had problems with mail going missing. We kept the PO box when we moved (we bought a house just across the school district line from where we had been renting) and so we had to scurry when I needed to get a bank account mail with our home address on it to satisfy someone... I think it was for getting my Australian birth certificate mailed to me.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Oh yes, this is really last century!

We had all our important mail going to the PO box because in our previous house we had problems with mail going missing. We kept the PO box when we moved (we bought a house just across the school district line from where we had been renting) and so we had to scurry when I needed to get a bank account mail with our home address on it to satisfy someone... I think it was for getting my Australian birth certificate mailed to me.
I believe that, for a fee, the USPS will give you a home address that is basically the Post Office's street address, with your PO box number as the apartment number. I haven't tried it myself to know how well that works, but it's an option.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I believe that, for a fee, the USPS will give you a home address that is basically the Post Office's street address, with your PO box number as the apartment number. I haven't tried it myself to know how well that works, but it's an option.
Canadians do this in droves. There is, or was, PO Box rentals in every border town.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Grandma Bates

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Pretty sure that's not a current option, at least they don't advertise it. There are private mailbox companies that do something like this but USPS is persnickety about address formats for them.

Plus, we weren't doing it to hide our address, and we've since had most mail coming back to our home address. We're keeping the PO box for a few companies that make it unreasonably hard to even find out how to change our address. Ironically, one's a utility.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
  • 1Like
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Sometimes I seriously wonder about my coworkers...

We have a company mail system. Its slow sometimes, but it costs nothing. Dude in a remote office down south needs to send me this proprietary cable, he sends me an email telling me it shipped, and includes a hard drive.

Package arrives, sure enough, it's the cable and a spare server drive.

So I asked him about the drive.

Well, it turns out he doesn't have a UPS account to use, so he used the storage system, to transfer one of his spare drives to my location, then threw the cable in with the drive.

Why he didn't just use the company mail system, I don't know. Especially since I am pretty sure the spares system, uses the company mail system, just with a different lable. Because the labels I get from it aren't any of the big shipping companies and look similar to the company mail labels.

• 1Flower
Reactions: Govi

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
A relevant Discord server might be more suitable for your needs if logging into SL isn't an option at this time.

• 1Agree
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan